I've been wanting to start a band for awhile now, but I don't really know when you're "supposed to be able to." Is there a certain point to where you can/should start a band? I guess it would also be notable that I've been playing guitar for a year and I mostly like to play punk music, even though I stray out a little and play other genres of rock every now and then. I usually wander back to the punk genre pretty soon though . Right now I stick to pop punk (I know, I know), but that's just because that's the more popular punk genre right now, or so I like to think .

Don't give me the whole, well punk's easier to play and all...blah...blah - it's what I know I'd like to play. I know it's easier, but for me its more enjoyable to play because of its difficulty.

I've heard that for a punk band it is okay to start a band while learning, but I don't know if that's true or not... I've got a friend who plays guitar, but I'd have to see how that goes.

I mostly just want to start a band for the hell of it, write some funny lyrics, and have fun with the whole thing - I've only got one time in high school.

What's your opinion?
Go for it, in the wonderful age of internet you can speed up your search for members.
You have the right idea! It's all for fun. You don't have to be the next Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains. Being in a band can be a heckload of fun if you tolerate your bandmates. So have some fun, and if you end up sucking, have fun sucking! hahaha nah, you should be fine so...
1. use interwebz and people in real life to find bandmates
2. get some cheap tech
3. make your younger sibling schlep your stuff.
4. have fun and make sure to record those moments to laugh at forever!
"Candy-tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy."
-Toki Wartooth
Yeah, I've been looking into BandFind.com, but it's more like a joke for my area... As in it's only good for bigger cities, but I guess I could look at other sites too (including Craigslist). I'm going to ask my friend about it as soon as I can get in touch with him. If doesn't want to be in a band, then I guess I'll just be on my own for it! (Not a solo act of course, I'm not Satriani).
Last edited by HealthyNormal at Jul 11, 2009,
man i feel for you, i have a band that is playing punk rock/pop punk and I love punk rock and pop rock. Most of the bands that have influenced me are of pop punk genre, like blink-182, green day, etc. I hope your future band turns out well man, play the music you love with all your heart. Now all I just need to find a drummer! already have a bassist...
Haha, I could just stalk (not really) the drummers that come in for lessons at my local music shop that I take lessons at... If only my mom and dad would have let me have a drumset when I was 10, I wouldn't need to find a drummer (since I've heard it's always harder to find one).
Quote by HealthyNormal
Haha, I could just stalk (not really) the drummers that come in for lessons at my local music shop that I take lessons at

You're on the right track, most music stores let you put up ads on their bulletin board looking for musicians.
Yeah, they have one, but I don't know how many people look at it. I usually give it a look every week I'm in to just see what's going on. I could also see if I could pass word to the drum instructor to ask if any of them would like to play in a punk band, as that would be the most direct route to a drummer. I can see this will be a long process, but heck I'll do just about anything to be able to say I have a band and have fun at it too.
Quote by HealthyNormal
I've been wanting to start a band for awhile now, but I don't really know when you're "supposed to be able to." Is there a certain point to where you can/should start a band?

i'd say once you can play along with other people, and are comfortable doing so, your ready. being able to play through mistakes is huge when first practicing(and from then on) to keep time over playing perfect. mistakes go away with practice, bad time makes playing no fun.

i say go for it, thats the only way you really find out where you stand. have a few skeleton structures for songs, and introduce them to your potential band mates. be willing to make changes to every part of it and see if you mesh with a few people.

and yes, drummers are hard to find, good ones are even harder, as well as a GOOD bassist who meshes with the drummer. me and the singer found our drummer and bassist and latched on to them. we're kinda more punk funk than pop punk, but same basic concept. intermediate guitar work, advanced rhythm
No, there is no certain point where you can/should start a band, apart from, of course, the fact that it's always a good idea to have developed some form of playing ability first.
If you want to be good at playing in bands, you first have to gain some experience. It's a different thing from playing at home and that experience only comes with actualy playing in a band. Everyone has to start somewhere, so the best thing to do is to jump in and have a go. Find some like minded musicians and just start jamming and take it from there.
Once you've done that, if you have any problems with anything, just come back here and ask us.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 11, 2009,