I've only been playing for about maybe a month with my brother's guitar but I want to set out and purchase one of my own. Since I really don't know what I should be looking for when judging whether a guitar is awesome or not I did a bit research online about which guitars to consider in the $400 range but I was hoping to get a bit more input so heres my list so far

Seagull S6
Washburn D10S
Takamine G Series 340C
Epiphone Hummingbird
Fender DG100
Yamaha FG730S

Are there any other acoustics I should consider/cross off before I head off to a Guitar Center and check them out personally? If it helps, the music I'm trying to play is pretty much rock/pop. Thanks a lot guys/gals
Here's a couple that should be around your budget.
Cort Earth 200 - Dreadnought Sitka Spruce/Mahogany
Cort L500C - Concert Grand Cedar/Mahogany
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

My first acoustic was an Alvarez Dreadnaught. The price was $199, which is considerably nice for any beginner acoustic. Mines also came with a free hard-case, not sure if that applies elsewhere.
i'd say these two are the pick of your list as having the most sustain and life of the ones on your list, and also the best quality overall. i've seen a lot of both and they are always well-made and well finished.

Seagull "The Original" S6 (there's more than one seagull s6)
Yamaha FG730S

both sound good, and excellent for their price range. the big difference besides the sound is the neck and what makes you comfortable. the seagull has a wider neck that may be too wide for some, but because it's wide it's also very forgiving. you don't have to use perfect finger/hand positioning and because of this the seagull is probably better for less experienced players and those with bigger fingers. the yamaha is very cool, but the neck is too narrow for a lot of fingerstyle players and because it's narrower, some find the fingerboard too cramped.

you might want to check the higher end of the alvarez regent series (between $350 and $400) although they also have a thinner neck.

once you find some guitars that sound good to you, feel is important. make sure your hand is comfortable on the neck and that the strings are spaced in a way that gives you enough room to play. also see if the body feels good while you play it. once you find a guitar that sounds good to you and feels good, buy it. and if you buy it from a place like gc or mf, you have 30 days to return/exchange it if you discover that after more use it's not so comfortable with more use.

Quote by Fingolfin215
I've only been playing for about maybe a month with my brother's guitar but I want to set out and purchase one of my own. Since I really don't know what I should be looking for when judging whether a guitar is awesome or not I did a bit research online about which guitars to consider in the $400 range but I was hoping to get a bit more input so heres my list so far

Seagull S6
Washburn D10S
Takamine G Series 340C
Epiphone Hummingbird
Fender DG100
Yamaha FG730S

Are there any other acoustics I should consider/cross off before I head off to a Guitar Center and check them out personally? If it helps, the music I'm trying to play is pretty much rock/pop. Thanks a lot guys/gals
Thanks you all, I just got back from a GC and decided to go with the Seagull Original S6. What i'm wondering now is if it's wise to purchase the warranty for the guitar and if it's wise to order the Seagull online from Musiciansfriend (they've got a sweet discount there)

Thanks =]
i went with the warranty but you can get an extended warranty from either store. also i prefer to play the exact guitar in the store when possible since two guitars of the same make and model don't sound exactly the same.

btw, i don't see a sweet discount at musician's friend - i see a $2 difference. what am i missing?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-The-Original-S6-Acoustic-Guitar-104069091-i1147556.gc

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-The-Original-S6-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512120

Quote by Fingolfin215
Thanks you all, I just got back from a GC and decided to go with the Seagull Original S6. What i'm wondering now is if it's wise to purchase the warranty for the guitar and if it's wise to order the Seagull online from Musiciansfriend (they've got a sweet discount there)

Thanks =]
Last edited by patticake at Jul 17, 2009,
Theres a coupon on Musiciansfriend where if you spend over 400 you get 65 off on the deal and 110 off a $1000 purchase or something. You just gotta enter MINE at the checkout
Last edited by Fingolfin215 at Jul 17, 2009,
Dude! Definately consider a Taylor Big Baby! Amazing Dread for ~$500. It's my main guitar. I have passed up much more expensive guitar to play this baby. And it's a Taylor. You can't go wrong with a Taylor.

At the very least, try it out.
^ I'll contest that. I've never played a Taylor that with the exception of the GA Custom. My friend has a Big Baby and I set it up for her. It sounded pretty bad compared to my Art & Lutherie(which was my main guitar back then). Besides, it's not even a full sized guitar. It's like 3/4.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
i guess this proves that everyone is different. i like the big baby FAR more than anything i've played by art & lutherie, and i've played a lot of them. when fingerpicking, the big baby has more presence and a hint of sparkle at the top end. it's also very comfortable.

i didn't think the big baby was as versatile as the s6, however, so that's what i got.

btw, the big baby is 15/16s, which is larger than 3/4s.

Quote by captivate
^ I'll contest that. I've never played a Taylor that with the exception of the GA Custom. My friend has a Big Baby and I set it up for her. It sounded pretty bad compared to my Art & Lutherie(which was my main guitar back then). Besides, it's not even a full sized guitar. It's like 3/4.
Last edited by patticake at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by patticake
i guess this proves that everyone is different. i like the big baby FAR more than anything i've played by art & lutherie, and i've played a lot of them. when fingerpicking, the big baby has more presence and a hint of sparkle at the top end. it's also very comfortable.

i didn't think the big baby was as versatile as the s6, however, so that's what i got.

btw, the big baby is 15/16s, which is larger than 3/4s.

Very much so. I just wanted to give my opinion on it because when people start saying things like "You can't go wrong with a Taylor." I try to even it out. You can go wrong with any brand if the guitar doesn't suit you. It's that simple.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.