i dont think it is, but if thise is the wrong place for this, i apologise.

I own an ESP/Ltd V-200, and i intend on putting it into drop A tuning. i know i need to buy some heavier gauge strings, but i dont know what.
53's perhaps??
and also, is there anything else i need to adjust on the guitar, and if so, what?

thanx in advance,
fearthellamas, the tuning noob
you need to extend the scale length by about 2 inches....

i use 54's in a# and it's pretty floppy (but i like that). i would reccomend at least a 56 for A. 60 would be even better.
Well Enough Alone
Last edited by guitardude11 at Jul 11, 2009,
I dont know about what string gauge would work, but you need to adjust the intonation when you change your tuning. To adjust the intonation you tune the open string A for example, then you play the 12th fret harmonic. If the harmonic is out of tune, then you need to either tighten or loosen the screws on the bridge. Do this for each string. -Colton
Yep as long as the tech is familiar with the adjustments needed for drop a.
Quote by fearthellamas
if i take it to a shop, they would be able to set it up for me right?

of course, if its a good shop, they'll know exactly what you need.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
There's a band round here playing 80's in A.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by fearthellamas
if i take it to a shop, they would be able to set it up for me right?

yes but personally set up's are fairly easy to do and i think you should only really take it to a tech if you don't know how to read instructions like featured up here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241 and i'm thinking with thicker gauges you may need to file your nut to suit the thicker strings which may require a bit of working with.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
yes but personally set up's are fairly easy to do and i think you should only really take it to a tech if you don't know how to read instructions like featured up here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241 and i'm thinking with thicker gauges you may need to file your nut to suit the thicker strings which may require a bit of working with.

ohk thanx. lol i shall take a crack at the whole instructions idea
Just buy a pack of strings for a seven string and don't use the high e.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Pretty. Odd.

+1

Thats what I do when I restring my baritone and I keep it in drop A.
Quote by Pretty. Odd.

that would really work? would that mean i wouldnt have to ajust anything else on the guitar?
Quote by fearthellamas
that would really work? would that mean i wouldnt have to ajust anything else on the guitar?

Yes, you may have to widen the slots in your nut and you will have to re-intonate, but those are the guages you need.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
Yes, you may have to widen the slots in your nut and you will have to re-intonate, but those are the guages you need.

ummm.......what exactly is re-inotating?
Adjusting the bridge to make sure you're in tune all the way across the fret board.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Adjusting the bridge to make sure you're in tune all the way across the fret board.

ohk thanx.
before i changed my strings to 10 - 52s i tuned my guitar which had 9 - 42s down to drop c but it was hell loose. So 10 - 52s did it well. About 2 weeks ago , i tuned my guitar down to Drop A but it was a tad loose so yeah , i guess get a pack of 7 string strings but dont use high E
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
I use .12-60 in C# and C Standard. You are gonna need a way bigger 6th string for Drop A. 70 at least. If it was me I would just buy a 7 String and Drop the 7th string to A.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Jul 11, 2009,
hmmm ohk then. i am currently using 9 - 42's in drop A, so thats why i needed thincker gauges. i'll probably go with the seven string idea. thanx
Quote by fearthellamas
hmmm ohk then. i am currently using 9 - 42's in drop A, so thats why i needed thincker gauges. i'll probably go with the seven string idea. thanx

UMMMMMMM...........

.09s in drop A? HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? .09's are bordering on too loose in standard let alone freakin drop a.

Oh yea, I almost forgot

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
lol very funny at the llama. i have an extreme phobia of them, but its fine unless im actually near them