"GASing" isn't the right word for what I'm feeling. Yearning is more like it.

To yearn = to long persistently, wistfully, or sadly.

I just spotted a CL listing for a mint condish, all original 1965 Ampeg Gemini I amp. This closet find has the original blue-diamond tolex, original tubes, and the original 12" Jensen speaker.

The dude wants $950...which makes me sad and wistful because my wife told me before I spotted this that I couldn't buy any more gear this summer.

Check it out:

"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Sep 11, 2009,
Anything you could trade? She said you couldnt buy gear.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
Reminds of the ampeg rocket I passed up, it was only 300 dollars, I dunno what I was thinking.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Tell her you're buying it anyway. You can't pass that up, it's beautiful.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Maybe I'll buy it and tell her I thought she was only talking about *THAT* specific day.

She's out of the country with my kids right now and before she left for the summer she said: "You may not buy anything crazy while I'm gone!"

But fellas, a mint condish 1965 Ampeg Gemini I is not *crazy", is it? If you ask me, it's brilliant. And she didn't say I couldn't buy something brilliant, right?
Quote by Armchair Bronco
Maybe I'll buy it and tell her I thought she was only talking about *THAT* specific day.

She's out of the country with my kids right now and before she left for the summer she said: "You may not buy anything crazy while I'm gone!"

But fellas, a mint condish 1965 Ampeg Gemini I is not *crazy", is it? If you ask me, it's brilliant. And she didn't say I couldn't buy something brilliant, right?

You sir, just found a loop hole. If she says it's crazy just tell her to come on here and we'll tell her it was the deal of a century.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
You sir, just found a loop hole. If she says it's crazy just tell her to come on here and we'll tell her it was the deal of a century.

You guys are awesome!

But seriously...I am toying with the idea of at least trying out this amp in person. You know, just for fun.

I have 3+ weeks before I hook up with my family, and during that time I might be able to sell a bunch of other stuff on CraigsList (like a Yamaha keyboard + stand, an Ampeg BA-112 and a lot of old pieces of luggage).
Here's a view from the back side:

Quote by Armchair Bronco
You guys are awesome!

But seriously...I am toying with the idea of at least trying out this amp in person. You know, just for fun.

I have 3+ weeks before I hook up with my family, and during that time I might be able to sell a bunch of other stuff on CraigsList (like a Yamaha keyboard + stand, an Ampeg BA-112 and a lot of old pieces of luggage).

Yea, you gotta atleast try it out. If I were in Seattle, I would totally snap this up in an instant. I just got an idea though. Does she know exactly what gear you have and how much it's worth? If you manage to sell some stuff you could just tell her that you traded for it.

EDIT: If the people on the Harmony-Central reviews aren't lying, this actually seems a bit high, even for a mint one. There's one guy on there who says he got his for $595 with everything original and the price seems to be that +/- $100.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, you gotta atleast try it out. If I were in Seattle, I would totally snap this up in an instant. I just got an idea though. Does she know exactly what gear you have and how much it's worth? If you manage to sell some stuff you could just tell her that you traded for it.

She doesn't know, but my kids do. Whenever I get any new gear, they spot it immediately. I jam with my youngest son (he's 10), and he can't keep a secret if his life depended on it. "Hey Daddy! Is that a new Tech 21 Boost RVB? Cool!"

Meanwhile, I'm whispering: "Quiet! Sssshhhhhh!!"

Naw, I'd have to fess up to this new purchase. Maybe I'll just have to sell some ESPP share to finance it. Even if it turns out to be too much amp for me, I'm sure I can sell it for about the same amount. (But why would I want to sell it?)

Anyway, I should at least try it out.
Quick update: I contaced the seller via e-mail and asked if I could try out the amp with my guitar and pedalboard. I also asked what had been done the last time the amp was serviced. Here's what he said:

"You are welcome to bring your gear over and rock out. He replaced a bunch of caps, mostly in the power section, I believe. I dont think it needed a complete re-cap, so he did not do all of them. The foot switch was also rebuilt, the cord is the original two prong still. It is a great amp, I am only selling it because I want something more British I realize."

I'm gonna try to get over there this weekend or maybe Friday.
Hey, is there a trick to not getting electrocuted when using an amp with an ungrounded plug? Seems like I read that if you plug it in the wrong way, you can get a nasty shock.

What's "the wrong way", and when would you get shocked? When plugging in the guitar, or if you touch the faceplate? Or what?

I DON'T WANT TO DIE!
You want to make sure you plug it in with the right orientation. It shouldn't cost much to replace the cable though. I think it was bubb_tubbs who posted a link awhile back that had a good explanation? I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Here it is. http://www.howstuffworks.com/question110.htm
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
You want to make sure you plug it in with the right orientation. It shouldn't cost much to replace the cable though. I think it was bubb_tubbs who posted a link awhile back that had a good explanation? I'll try to find it.

Cool link. Although it's still not clear whether your typical shock from a vintage amp would be: A) annoying; B) hair-raising; or C) life-threatening.
It can be either lethal or extremely painful depending on the path it takes. Here's an article that explains a bit more about electric shock. http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/safety/index.php

I'm not sure how to avoid it but Eric Johnson said something in an interview about him having to get an electrical expert to come set up his rig to prevent shock since he refuses to use grounded plugs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Quick update: I contaced the seller via e-mail and asked if I could try out the amp with my guitar and pedalboard. I also asked what had been done the last time the amp was serviced. Here's what he said:

"You are welcome to bring your gear over and rock out. He replaced a bunch of caps, mostly in the power section, I believe. I dont think it needed a complete re-cap, so he did not do all of them. The foot switch was also rebuilt, the cord is the original two prong still. It is a great amp, I am only selling it because I want something more British I realize."

I'm gonna try to get over there this weekend or maybe Friday.

Why would he replace the caps and not install a 3-pronged cord?

If it shocks you, flips the cord around or flip the ground switch (don't know if this has one). Just don't touch your guitar and anything else that can carry a current at the same time, and keep your rubber soled shoes on
I can say that my ampeg loves my RVB boost.

Hey, she's out of the country, so at one point she crossed a body of water to get where she is. That act negates all promises and commitments large and small. Just sayin'.

Comparing Gemini adds... Of the Gemini I's out there he is a bit high. E-bay may be a better option, but then you may end up needing to do a cap job etc.
http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=mus&itm=ampeg&loc=&fil=gemini+I&ys=&ye=&pgs=50&submit=++++go++++

Good luck, you know we are behind you.

Here is a 66 gem II for $525 for example as well.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/msg/1263056639.html
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 15, 2009,
Another quick update. Today I called the repair shop where the amp was serviced back in April or May. I talked to the guy who did the work. He remembered the amp and gave me a full summary.

He replaced most of the caps in the power section, including the big silver ones. He said some other caps might need to be replaced in a couple of years but they're OK for now. He also made a fix to the chassis. He said there was some kind of bracket that had broken and he couldn't repair it. So he fabricated a new bracket. He also rebuilt the footswitch that controls the tremolo and the reverb. He shortened the cord on both ends and installed new switches. He also cleaned & scrubbed all of the pots and jacks. He said the repair bill came to $250.

He was also really impressed with the original tubes. He said he thought the tubes alone were worth big money.

The bad news: apparently at lower volumes, the amp sounds great. He said it was a really unique sounding tone, especially with the reverb and tremolo. But at higher volumes, above 6 or 7, it really starts to hum. He said he couldn't get rid of the hum. He also said that the hum was bad enough that I probably couldn't gig with the amp. Curiously, he didn't think adding a grounded 3-pronged plug would help much (he said it would cost $40 to have one added).

Now: I don't gig. Hell, I'm not even in a band. All I do is play quietly by myself at home. Still, I'm not sure what to make of this last bit of info. Anyway, I'm trying out the amp on Sunday night.
So, I tried out the '65 Ampeg Gemini I in person yesterday for about 30 minutes. Here's what I found: at very high volumes, the amp definitely has some hum, but it's nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe. In fact, if I crank up my Orange Tiny Terror at home with a guitar going straight in, my Tiny Terror has significantly *more* hum.

Not sure what this means: either cranked amps hum (some, perhaps, more than others), or my TT is messed up. I guess I need to go to GC next weekend and try out some more tube amps and crank 'em. Is there such as thing as a cranked up tube amp that's completely silent? Now I'm curious about what a grounded plug and a full-recap job [versus the partial one that it's had] would do...

I tried out both channels and both inputs (guitar & accordian) on each channel. Both of them exhibited the hum. I found I could reduce it measurably by turning the two tremolo knobs all the way down. I was also able to cut down on the hum measurably by jumpering channel 1 to channel 2. Channel jumpering, BTW, was very cool and gave me a lot of tonal options.

The reverb on this amp is very lush. I noticed that the reverb tank seems to be very sensitive to any jostling of the amp itself: as I was plugging and unplugging input & jumpering cables, I could hear the springs sloshing around, and this bled through to the speakers even with the volume pots at "0". And the bright switch (on the Treble knob for Channel 1) is freakishly bright. Very cool. The amp was responsive to the treble & bass pots on both channels.

Anyway, I really liked this amp. The seller (who was a real nice guy) said that he could go as low as $800 -- this is his 'break even' cost. $800 is a lot of money for an Ampeg Gemini I, so I dunno. Gonna have to think about the whole package for a bit before I decide anything.
sell something else, so you still have the same amount of gear. that would be fair i think.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by mmolteratx

Yeah, it was me.

Plugging it in backwards won't kill you unless you're standing in water or something, but it does hurt pretty bad - especially if you eat it through the face because of a mic stand or something.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.