How are the quality. I am talking to lower priced ones ($130-$300). the Douglas SR-1 Rhoads looks lovely. It is like an alexi-200 with the pinstripes and better features. Is it worth the hassle of buying a $130 US guitar and paying $400 AU rather then going out to an Australian guitar store and buying a low end Ibanez/Jackson for $400?

Also about the quality, I don't get how it can be a mahogany body, maple set neck, EMG HZ pups can only cost $130! Is it really bad quality with lots of sharp frets and it will make me want to put it through a window or what?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Jul 11, 2009,
i heard its cheap because it is a direct sale, no shipping from factory to store price, no brand price, no set up price , no advertising, hence no needing to up the price
Quality is nothing special, IMO. They're good deals only because they're cheap, not because they're outstanding guitars.
So what is better? A Douglas SR-1 + hard case for $400 AU delivered or an Ibanez GRG170DX/Jackson JS1 dinky for $400 from a store?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
i would probably say the douglas but i'm a bit cautious with them since international shipping is just leading a whole world of head****s and anything can happen between shipping from USA to Aus then again the ibanez's you are looking at in this price range aren't anything worthy of praise imo. i would think the douglas guitar is better if you are willing to take the risk but it may not pay off and you could get a dud.
Don't take a chance buying a cheap Douglas guitar and having it shipped half way around the world. There is nothing special about Douglas or SX models. You can find plenty of similarly cheap Chinese built guitars for sale in Australia if that is what you really want. I think getting a Jackson or Ibanez from your local shop is the better choice.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Individual shipping has to cost more than bulk consignments.
From what I hear, Cort has a good distributor in Australia, so their models are not as over-priced as some other decent brands.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

In my opinion the Rondo guitars don´t become really good deals until you buy the stuff that is over 250-300.
If you were in the States, I would say definitely go with the Rondo over the Jackson because it's a comparison of ~$130 (Rondo) vs. a $400 Jackson. But I'm guessing your asking whether it's better to get a $130 from Rondo, but having it end up costing around $400 OR get a Jackson/Ibanez that costs around $400 new. When I put it like that, than the answer seems pretty obvious, doesn't it....get a Jackson/Ibanez.

As far as my personal experience with Rondo...I got an SX short scale bass a few years back. I loved it...everything about it. Then I got an Ibanez bass and it blewww the SX out of the water...even though I was so keen on it!

But that was SX, and I've heard a better consensus on them than on Douglas..
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by stinger12345
If you were in the States, I would say definitely go with the Rondo over the Jackson because it's a comparison of ~$130 (Rondo) vs. a $400 Jackson. But I'm guessing your asking whether it's better to get a $130 from Rondo, but having it end up costing around $400 OR get a Jackson/Ibanez that costs around $400 new. When I put it like that, than the answer seems pretty obvious, doesn't it....get a Jackson/Ibanez.

As far as my personal experience with Rondo...I got an SX short scale bass a few years back. I loved it...everything about it. Then I got an Ibanez bass and it blewww the SX out of the water...even though I was so keen on it!

But that was SX, and I've heard a better consensus on them than on Douglas..

The thing is the ibanez/jackson are GRG/JS1 models which are entry level and play and sound like cats in a 50 year old blender inside a bigger blender getting run over by a ride on mower

That is why I was asking about the quality of the douglas.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Agile normal range are just so-so but their Prestige range 3000/3100 guitars are extremely bang-for-the buck. I would take those over any Epiphone anyday.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by random_B-RAD
The thing is the ibanez/jackson are GRG/JS1 models which are entry level and play and sound like cats in a 50 year old blender inside a bigger blender getting run over by a ride on mower

That is why I was asking about the quality of the douglas.

So they sound br00tal? Sweet!
I own an SR-1, and it's a great guitar. I would buy the same guitar for $400. The $130 price tag makes it that much better. It plays just as nice as my brother's RG321, for less than half the price. The pickups aren't terrible, they're quite good actually, but the evo's in my RG550 blow them away.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II