Hmm, well first off I used to play a 6 string bass, and then I took a hiatus from that to play guitar, and I recently came back to bass, this time with a 4 string. I used to think the 6 strings were sexy but now 4 strings just look way better to me, for instance I think a 4 string Warwick Thumb looks way better than the 5 string version of the same Warwick. Anyone else share these views? Or am I just being stupid and should GTFO?
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
I'd have to agree with you as far as Warwick Basses are concerned. I don't like the looks of the 5 string Thumb Basses. It just seems weird to me. Same goes for any Fender Basses. They look way better as 4 strings.
Having said that, some basses look really cool as 5 strings. I prefer the look of the most Music Man basses as 5 strings and the Yamaha Rock Basses look good as 5 strings as well.
Don't worry man, I think they look weird too.

I struggle to like any 5 string other than a spector, looks wise. Although I do love the low B.
HI THERE
anything that's got the 4+1 tuner thing drives me nuts. Personally while i thought my RB2500 was ugly to begin with the looks have grown on me a lot
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Mr. Saturn
Why did you name your cello. And yeah, your silly

You shouldn't slag unless you can spell.

*Edits for the sake of relevance*
I have six basses, and I prefer different ones (and different number of strings) for difference genres. I guess it depends on what and how you play that will determine your preference.
Last edited by Casketcreep at Jul 11, 2009,
Only certain basses can pull off 5 strings and some cases they need it. The Schecter DV4's neck looks far to thin to me, also 4 string jazz basses with block inlays always look stupidly thin.
Depends for me. I think the sound of a bass is way more important than the looks. I'm trying to design beautiful instruments with a couple of friends of mine. Even better than Ritter Royals!

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Depends for me. I think the sound of a bass is way more important than the looks. I'm trying to design beautiful instruments with a couple of friends of mine. Even better than Ritter Royals!

Chris if you can design something more beautiful than the Blue Halberd I'll give you my first born child for it
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
Chris if you can design something more beautiful than the Blue Halberd I'll give you my first born child for it

Easy!

And the start of my army is complete. He will be my first seargent...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Casketcreep
You shouldn't slag unless you can spell.

Quote by Casketcreep
In that case cut one of the wires from the battery and attack a switch to it.

You shouldn't be an annoying grammar/spelling nazi if you can't spell.
Quote by skater dan0

eww, Ritter.

overkill alert.

if it's prettier than a Pedulla Rapture, you'll be good Chris.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Spaz91
If it looks better than an all black jazz bass with a maple neck and chrome covers then I will eat my own head.

well that's simple, all he has to do is take the covers off

and I'm ok with either 4 or 5 strings, but 6 string basses just look weird in the same way that 8 string guitars look weird..neck too fat
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by capslockisnton
well that's simple, all he has to do is take the covers off

and I'm ok with either 4 or 5 strings, but 6 string basses just look weird in the same way that 8 string guitars look weird..neck too fat

+1
I cant stand guitars with more than 6 strings, and basses with more than 5 strings. The necks just look waaaaay to fat compared to the headstocks after that. Ibanez 6ers make me cringe .

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
i love 4 strings and 6 strings

but 5 strings....

i dont like 5ers at all.

oh, and playing bass with more than 5 strngs, with a pick, is just weird to me. just doesnt look right to me.
Quote by Caltelt
+1
I cant stand guitars with more than 6 strings, and basses with more than 5 strings. The necks just look waaaaay to fat compared to the headstocks after that. Ibanez 6ers make me cringe .

wat
I think that 5 string Warwicks generally look much nicer than the 4 stringers. But most of the time I prefer the look of 4s.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
I think that 5 string Warwicks generally look much nicer than the 4 stringers. But most of the time I prefer the look of 4s.

I agree. Like the Warwick 5-string Double-Buck Corvette $$.
That one looks so much better as a 5-string.
Quote by Spaz91
*img of an ibanez that would be nice if it had less strings*

wat

I just don't like how, past the nut, you see how the strings are all being squashed together to go on the tuners and the width of the headstock is barely more than the width of the neck...ewww
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
I don't really like the look of basses with more than 4 strings, and I don't want one at all.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
I think most 4 string basses look nicer but there are a few exceptions (like Warwicks) that I think look better as 5's than 4's.

And the only cool thing about 6ers is that you can tune them to guitar tunings and play guitar songs. The only down side is they look stupid and you need massive hands to play them efficiently.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Last edited by Bassist Rising at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by Bassist Rising
I think most 4 string basses look nicer but there are a few exceptions (like Warwicks) that I think look better as 5's than 4's.

And the only cool thing about 6ers is that you can tune them to guitar tunings and play guitar songs. The only down side is they look stupid and you need massive hands to play them efficiently.

You really don't. Good technique will make you efficient.
I'm not a critic, but to me any bass with more than 5 strings looks ugly and pretentious. I think it's mostly to do with the neck/body ratio being strange, cause most 4 string basses have similar sized necks to guitars.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.