I don't understand...I have a nice amp with great new tubes, good speakers, and a decent guitar with some good pups, but i can't seem to get a hardcore enough tone from my amp even after fiddling with the EQ a lot

I recorded a bit with some friends today, nothing major, just fooling around, but my sound wasn't so hot.

My friend uses his new Orange Rocker 30 head through a single Celestion V30 and his P.O.D. XT and he seemed to get a crispier gritty chunk outta his than me. don't get me wrong, my amp killed him in power, and was much bassier...but it wasnt real crisp..very muddy and saturated

I'm looking at several pedals at the moment; BBE sonic stomp, MXR M-108, Tubescreamer...all these to help me get a fuller, more boosted tone to play some heavy stuff.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the MXR....would that probably be what i'd need to get the tone im looking for?

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Kay but what amp do you have... exactly?

Is it that Marshall you put in your signature?

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Before I get flamed into oblivion by certain people (who seem to confuse my opinion for overwhelming fanboyism and bandwagonism about EQs) I'd recommend you try out an EQ and see what you think. Same with the Sonic Stomp, which seem to be very love/hate things.

An EQ in the loop will not improve your clean channel, btw, but will mostly affect the gain channel of your amp. If an EQ does not solve your problems then it's more to do with how your amp sounds overall.

I wouldn't quite recommend a Tubescreamer to boost your amp because they add mids and can take away the br00t4l1ty of one's tone depending on how it's set up. Again, try one out and see what you think.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 11, 2009,
yessir, my JCM

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by Raijouta
Before I get flamed into oblivion by certain people (who seem to confuse my opinion for overwhelming fanboyism and bandwagonism about EQs) I'd recommend you try out an EQ and see what you think. Same with the Sonic Stomp, which seem to be very love/hate things.

An EQ in the loop will not improve your clean channel, btw, but will mostly affect the gain channel of your amp. If an EQ does not solve your problems then it's more to do with how your amp sounds overall.

I wouldn't quite recommend a Tubescreamer to boost your amp because they add mids and can take away the br00t4l1ty of one's tone depending on how it's set up. Again, try one out and see what you think.

my clean sounds great on it's own..it IS the gain channel i need the boosting on, im thinking maybe a gain/treble/presence boost would help from the EQ

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
What was your general EQ during the "not so hot" recording? Too much bass and you can sound flabby. There is a fine line between sounding heavy and flabby when it comes to bass.
Quote by eXperiment63
What was your general EQ during the "not so hot" recording? Too much bass and you can sound flabby. There is a fine line between sounding heavy and flabby when it comes to bass.

ehh..

Deep switch: on
Presence- 6
treble- 6
mid- 4
bass-8
tone shift: on
reverb- 1
master volume- 4
gain- 6
Gain switch set between Gain & Ultra Gain (i kept switching back and forth)

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Up the mids a lil bit and drop the bass a lil bit. Deep switch is on, having the bass overpower the mids like that with an added bass boost is probably what did you in.
The KT77s would take away some of the "crispness" that you get from EL34s while adding quite a bit of low end. Have you tried your amp with EL-34s and did you like it then? Also, the GT12-75s in your cab could be contributing to the muddiness.

EDIT:
Quote by eXperiment63
Up the mids a lil bit and drop the bass a lil bit. Deep switch is on, having the bass overpower the mids like that with an added bass boost is probably what did you in.

This too. I didn't notice you posted your settings.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 11, 2009,
well i had el34s..too middy for my taste, and i read that kt77s were sort of a hybrid of el34s and 6l6s.

i DO want to get a cab with V30s in it though

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables