ive got this little chord progression im working with, its Cm7, F7 Bbmaj7, Bbm7, Cm7 F7 Bbmaj7 Amaj7.

is it in Cm or F? i was thinking Cm but im bad with theory
Which does it resolve to?

/it's 1:20am otherwise I'd play it and find out for myself

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Cm i guess, the F is dominant so i don't think it is in F major, but it kinda depends on which chord it resolves to..
Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo
If you omit the Amaj7 chord (which sounds quite dissonant in the given context) the progression fits nicely into Gm (with the obvious exception of Bbm7 chord which sounds like a nice change anyway). Neither Cm nor F works. My procedure was to play out your progression as arpeggios on bass and to layer an improvised solo on top of it. I tried all 3 keys for the solo and Gm seems to go pretty well with the progression. Additionally, using Gm as the key (or Bbmaj, its parallel major) the notes used in all the chords fit into the scale. (again, except Bbm7).
Last edited by edgarvanburen at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by Aramoni
Cm i guess, the F is dominant so i don't think it is in F major, but it kinda depends on which chord it resolves to..

Theoretically, it's just as easy to argue that Bbmaj7 has the A note which is obviously not present in Cm. Gm it is for me.
Last edited by edgarvanburen at Jul 11, 2009,
im pretty sure it resovles to Cm7. and yes the Amaj7 is more of a dissonant chord than part of the progression. im terrible with theory, i try though.
It's in the key of Bb major, c is the ii so it's minor and F is the V of Bb.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
It resolves to the BbM7 so Bb major. The dominant V chord is also a clear indicator.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane