I met a guy on craigslist who wants to trade his 1973 Fender Deluxe Reverb for my 1982 Fender Princeton Reverb II. Mine is original with the footswitch, in great cosmetic condition but needs new tubes. His was just inspected by an amp tech, re-tubed, but he says it looks like hell.
Anyways he says it sounds awesome, just looks very old and worn. Also, he had the speaker changed, and he doesn't have the footswitch. Other than all of that, he says it sounds awesome.

So I'm hoping someone here knows about older Fenders and can throw in some words of wisdom. I'm going to be using the amp for gigging and practicing, and I might be bringing it with me to college.. Not sure yet..

I want a great clean tone. My amp sounds good, but there are some things I really dislike about it. The lead channel is kind of pissy, I don't like it, some do. The reverb is ridiculous, it's almost unusable after "3". For the good sound I get out of it, I can get about a million terrible sounds if I turn some dials. I don't like that. I really just want a change.

Thanks for any help.
It's quite hard to get a bad sound out of a Deluxe Reverb, so as fas as that goes it'd be a great alternative.
The headroom might be a little low on it, definitely not spanking clean at band levels, but I like it actually. Roll back your guitar's volume a little and you get this amazingly fat and warm clean sound with just an edge of dirt.
As fas as value goes, it's almost an even trade I think, with a slight loss on your side in short term value, but over the years the Deluxe will probably be worth more, especially when you take the time to do a little restorational work on it.

Definitely try it out though and find out what you think and feel, that's the most important of all.

Oh and one more thing, just an opinion of mine though: beat to hell vintage amps are dead sexy
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yes!!!!!
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Quote by Lauke_101
It's quite hard to get a bad sound out of a Deluxe Reverb, so as fas as that goes it'd be a great alternative.
The headroom might be a little low on it, definitely not spanking clean at band levels, but I like it actually. Roll back your guitar's volume a little and you get this amazingly fat and warm clean sound with just an edge of dirt.
As fas as value goes, it's almost an even trade I think, with a slight loss on your side in short term value, but over the years the Deluxe will probably be worth more, especially when you take the time to do a little restorational work on it.

Definitely try it out though and find out what you think and feel, that's the most important of all.

Oh and one more thing, just an opinion of mine though: beat to hell vintage amps are dead sexy

Right on! I think you're right about value. Right now, mine's probably worth more, but give it 20 years, when original deluxes are much harder to find, and I bet it'll be worth near 2 grand if I clean it up.

But value isn't as important to me as sound, and I've only heard great things about deluxe reverbs. I can't wait to check it out and hopefully make the trade. If I remember, I'll bump this thread with pics of it if I end up going through with the trade.