if onstage all the amps have microphones going to the PA and you would realistically only need a 30W maybe, then why do so many guitarists have huge stacks behind them? eg Zakk wylde. is it just for show?
cool factor
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Hetfieldjr
if onstage all the amps have microphones going to the PA and you would realistically only need a 30W maybe, then why do so many guitarists have huge stacks behind them? eg Zakk wylde. is it just for show?

Yeah most of them are for show and some people have stacks acting as dummy amps while their main amp is mic'd up behind them.
Excuse me if im mistaken. but i thought i heard somewhere that lamb of god (im sure other bands do it too, just using them as an example) have a few Cabs without speakers in them or anything. its purely just for show, so they might have 1 working amp and 4 more that are just boxes of wood with Mesa written on it lol.
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
They'll all be wired up, but as backup amps incase 1 explodes, happened several times when I saw Slipknot
yeah it's mainly for show...I read an interview once where Zakk said that he has 2 full stacks for himself, 2 for the rhythm guitarist, and the rest are for looks...but damn it does look nice
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
A big stack increases your penis size by 3.4 inches.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I think it's pretty much just because that's what the amp makers build, they don't make their really high end amps in like 20 watt stacks.

Anyway, I use a 100watt stack for my bedroom =P
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
I think it's pretty much just because that's what the amp makers build, they don't make their really high end amps in like 20 watt stacks.

O Rly?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
O Rly?

Wait, I got the wrong orly.

Anyway, yeah, they usually make them 50 or 100watts.
And artists need clean headroom too.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by Hetfieldjr

about the 30W thing... many high gain tube amps have to be made with quite a bit of headroom, thus they're always being produced 50W and above.

Not everyone likes the sound of a low wattage tube amp being pushed to the limit as opposed to a high wattage amp that's handling high gain and volume differently.
Most are dummy cabs. I've seen a few shows where only one cabinet out of 20 is mic'd...its definitely for show. Looks cool though And I'm sure manufacturers eat it up too.
They use them for more than Show.
Its for show, and for transporting things into stage.
Imagine rolling a Cabinet up a ramp, Easy and fast.
Now imagine carrying up 6 guitars cases, Easy but slower.

Then again if you're Zakk Wilde, I'm sure you get payed more for each "Marshall" you bring up on stage with you
Largely for show. Also, an amp turned up ca act as a monitor in it's own right, so the guitarist can actually hear what they're playing clearly.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I was at a A7X concert and I was sitting almost to the side of the stage. Basically they had a huge wall of marshall cabs, but it was the full cab. Basically it was just eh mesh grill with the marshall logo on it.

Its all meant to be a part of the show. it just looks cool
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
yup they are all correct. Just for show. Wouldnt it be cool if the were all plugged in like 20 JCM 800's and 40 1960 4 x 12 cabs with all the heads turned up to 9! Now that would be loud. Forget the PA system all bands should start putting Marshall full stacks all over the venue for guitar. 2 full stacks per 20 people in the audience.
its for show...
a wall of cabs has only 2 working cabs, the rest are dummy cabs which are a waste of wood....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I think AC/DC use a lot of the amps on their wall.
Only one is mic'd up, but the rest of them, IIRC, are still pumping out sound.

I've seen many videos where the wall of stacks they have all have speaker on them.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by daryle_goh
about the 30W thing... many high gain tube amps have to be made with quite a bit of headroom, thus they're always being produced 50W and above.

Not everyone likes the sound of a low wattage tube amp being pushed to the limit as opposed to a high wattage amp that's handling high gain and volume differently.

This. Some people like the tight bass response of 100 + watt amps.

The wall of cabs is for show, all big bands playing large shows have to mic so everyone can hear everything clearly.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by LukeElliff
They'll all be wired up, but as backup amps incase 1 explodes, happened several times when I saw Slipknot

It doesn't surprise me that even Slipknot's own gear would rather die than see them perform.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Zoot Allures
some prefer teh sound of big cabs compared to one speaker in a combo. A lot of people also want the headroom and like to have a lot of sound onstage anyway and it can thicken up the PA mix by having sound coming from the stage too

If by thicken you mean muddy then that would be a true statement. Every sound engineers dream would be all the amps in a green room offstage, so that things can be tweaked front of house to make the best mix.
Quote by CoF-Dean
Excuse me if im mistaken. but i thought i heard somewhere that lamb of god (im sure other bands do it too, just using them as an example) have a few Cabs without speakers in them or anything. its purely just for show, so they might have 1 working amp and 4 more that are just boxes of wood with Mesa written on it lol.

MUSE use fake amps on stage but teh real amps are in a separate bit off stage.

And Franz Ferdinand have custom cabs cept teh eal amps are inside them.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
If you are talking about high gain stuff, the higer wattage the amp, the more defined and tighter the low end gets, and it gives it different tonal characteristics, such as more clean headroom etc.

In regards to the cab thing:

AILD did this (6 empty cabs per side) and had skulls printed on the grille's. Looked SICK! Norma Jean has a few empty cabs on stage with lights in the back and custom grilles or covers on the front.

It adds to the show, and is overall just kick ass!
Last edited by Silenced7 at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by mattocaster99
If by thicken you mean muddy then that would be a true statement. Every sound engineers dream would be all the amps in a green room offstage, so that things can be tweaked front of house to make the best mix.

I meant when the PA isn't up to scratch though.
I think it depends.

It either for cool factor or the spefic amp that gives them the tone they want is only in stack form. Like for example, a Engl Special Edition doesn't have a combo, the Richie Blackmore doesn't have a combo amp, and many more stack models don't come in combo form. Plus, most half stacks have more options regarding special functions, eq, and etc.
Last edited by herman ri2 at Jul 11, 2009,
Angus Young uses all his amps, but that's about it.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I think there's also a bit advertising in that too, like if an artist is endorsed by Marshall for example, well they'll probably want him to put alot of dummy cabs written on them. That's just my theory though.
Steve Morse uses three heads and three stacks.

One "normal" head powering two stacks, an exact clone of the head for a backup.

He uses the other head and stack for "wet" effects, so none of his are dummies, I believe. The Steve Morse website doesn't work anymore, but there were pictures on there. One of the dry and wet stacks were mic'd up, others weren't.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
depends what you're talking about. If comparing a halfstack to a wall of cabs, yeah, mainly show and backup. If you're talking a 30W combo compared to a 100W halfstack, there is going to be a difference in lowend response, headroom, and sound. Even when close mic'ing, there is a difference with a sealed 4x12 compared to an open back combo. The 4x12 usually has a tighter and bigger/punchier lowend response. Depends what kind of music you are playing too. A lot of modern high gainers rely more on preamp OD than powertube saturation, so you want a big poweramp that amplifies the preamp signal more cleanly, adding color without adding distortion. A lot of the popular speakers don't have the wattage rating for a 100W+ tube amp running thru a single speaker.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids