Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
You could be right there but surely covering them with anything will affect the sound in some way?
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
Some say that they dull the tone, but I'll hold to the fact that if you didn't A/B them it would be difficult to notice. The effects of chrome covers are markedly more dramatic than those of nickel, in my experience.

A good pickup winder will be able to wind his pickups to counteract the tonal effects of pickup covers. Tim Mills of Bare Knuckle Pickups is one such winder. It's a bit of an insignificant factor, though; if it's been wound specifically for covered application, it's safe to say that that attention to detail carries through to the rest of the pickup.

Long story short, all that's going to matter is the quality of pickup; if it's a good pickup covers won't matter very much. If it's a poor pickup they'll have a greater effect, but then the pickup will probably sound poor with or without covers.
Quote by Casketcreep
So if they dull the tone, why do people use them?

Ive read it more rounds the tone than dulls.
Quote by Casketcreep
So if they dull the tone, why do people use them?

They look nice? Or they stop dust etc getting into the coils/bobbins.

If you're refering to humbucker covers then the effects have been stated. Strat pickup covers do nothing except help mount the pickup.