Hello,

First, a disclaimer: I'm not an experienced Gibson/LP guy.

I am looking at an ummodified Alpine White original MIJ Epiphone LP Custom Elitist (Gibson shaped headstock) but trying to find values on these has proven very difficult.

Asking (and firm) price is $700. It's in perfect condition--not a scratch on it. It looks as if it could have just come out of the factory, except that it's perfectly set up. This axe plays like a dream--I never thought an Epi could feel and sound THIS DAMN GOOD!

Here's my problem. I'm actually considering selling my Classic Player Jag HH for this, and I absolutely love my Jag. I already have a buyer lined up, but I'll take a bit of a hit. Gee...really glad Fender lowered the prices on these after I paid over $1000 for it not too long ago. Essentially, all I have to do is say the word and my Jag is sold, and I will have the cash to purchase the Epi. All said and done, though, there won't be any out-of-pocket expense on my part, if I ignore the hit from purchasing the Jag new (it wasn't an impulse buy, and like I said, I love this axe). I haven't yet modified the Jag as planned, so no additional money has been invested into it aside from strings.

On the one hand, after being a classic car hobbyist for a few decades, I know that the true value of something is the price one is willing to pay for it. Thus, if I like the Epi so much, I should just get it. On the other, I am having trouble finding these for sale anywhere, and am looking for justification for selling the Jag and "upgrading" to this LP. All I know (and I'm not an experienced LP guy) is that this Custom is a dream to play and if it didn't say "Epiphone" on it, I'd not be wise enough to identify it as anything but a Gibson! The handful I've found have been priced in the $500-$1,000 range, with the low-end having some cosmetic flaws, but I don't want to order one should I find it cheaper. This one is local, and is just absolutely flawless and expertly set up.

SO! I don't want to start a Gibson>Epi debate here, and I'm not looking for advice on alternative instruments. I just want input from some of you "in the know" about the value of the Elitist series, and some CONSTRUCTIVE input regarding the pros and cons of selling the Jag for the Elitist. I can't see how I can lose, but....here I am!

Thanks in advance!
the elitist is rarer than a fender jag so having the elitist would probably get you alot more friends than you would owning a jag.
asking $700 is a bargin as they are selling new for around $1700, seeing that it is like that to me i would go back have another look at it get the serial number and ask gibson to check if it is legit and if it is i would get as long as you are happy with it.
i say go for it. if the guitars makes you go "wow" then no matter how much you payed for your jag you'll be wondering why you didn't jump on the epi when you had the chance. no matter what's on the headstock. because no matter what some people think about brand names, a great playing guitar is still a great playing guitar.
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Jul 11, 2009,
Thanks.

But selling "new" for $1700? These are discontinued, no? Are these leftover stock, or are they still sold new outside of the USofA? I haven't found one new listing anywhere, and the used listings I have managed to find have been in the $900 range (give or take, depending upon condition), but those have been few and far between.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i say go for it. if the guitars makes you go "wow" then no matter how much you payed for your jag you'll be wondering why you didn't jump on the epi when you had the chance. no matter what's on the headstock. because no matter what some people think about brand names, a great playing guitar is still a great playing guitar.

Oh, I couldn't agree more about the "wow" factor and about brand names! lol...My favorite players/beaters are a friggin' modified Squier Jagmaster and a G-400! I LOVE that Jagmaster and wouldn't sell it for twice its retail price.

I think I mentioned that the true value of something is what one is willing to pay for it. I am just trying to find some quantifiable numbers for the Epi, but it's certainly looking more and more worthwhile.

I did verify the serial number already.
Guitar Dater Project supports the Elitist line. IMO, $700 is a good price for a mint Custom model. There were some good reviews on them in many forums and I personally was sad to see them discontinued! Luckily, I kind of foresaw that and bought two back in 04 & 05 (57 Gold Top & Standard Plus). It should come with a nice hardshell case (Marked 'Epiphone Elitist' in gold lettering) as well. I think the reason you don't see many used ones for sale is no one wants to get rid of them.
Moving on.....
Thanks KenG. Yeah, I considered the fact that the reason I couldn't find any was because no one wants to part with them!

OK, I'll do some soul searching today. I can't really see how I'm going to lose on this, either financially or, more importantly, in my satisfaction with the LP. Just need to decide if I really want to part with the Jag.

On the other hand, I can always get another Jag...
Yes, yes, YES DO IT.

From what I heard the Elitest matches Gibsons, and for $700? Dear god. If you don't do it I"ll personally find you and slap you up.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Ziggle
... I am looking at an ummodified Alpine White original MIJ Epiphone LP Custom Elitist (Gibson shaped headstock) but trying to find values on these has proven very difficult.

Asking (and firm) price is $700. It's in perfect condition--not a scratch on it. ...
I have a similar model, except it's from the Elite Series which is sold to the local Japanese market only (not for export). It came with Gibson BurstBucker 1 and 2 PUs. $700 is a good price for a mint copy.

Bad but only pic I could find of my current Elitist.

I got it used for $750 and they went for $1250 for being discontinued. They're quite a gem in playability, sound, feeling. As someone said above, the Quality Control on these are awesome with top notch parts to the point they can match various Gibsons.

Quote by Ziggle
Thanks.

But selling "new" for $1700? These are discontinued, no? Are these leftover stock, or are they still sold new outside of the USofA? I haven't found one new listing anywhere, and the used listings I have managed to find have been in the $900 range (give or take, depending upon condition), but those have been few and far between.

These were discontinued at $1250 on every site since Gibson ended production on them.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Last edited by RR787 at Jul 11, 2009,
Yes it's too bad they're not making anymore. There are other makers out there that build good Les PAuls but most of them are $2000.00 and up! That's one of the reasosn I like the Elitists, they were cheaper than other Japnese versions.
Moving on.....
Well, I did a little too much soul searching and missed my opportunity.

bah....

Oh well. Today I am actually going to look at a 2003 Agile AL-2500 with P90's for $275. Looks like a well kept guitar, and I love P90s, and it's the original LP body style. Chances of finding another Elitist/Elite around here (that I can actually play prior to purchase) is slim.

My timing sucks, but I'll lick my wounds and check this Agile out. I've been impressed with them before.
I picked up the Agile. It is PERFECT and sounds amazing. Makes the sting from yesterday feel not quite so bad, and really, I love this thing. Can't put it down! For <$300, it's the best bang for my buck I've ever found in terms of guitars.