Just read a thread where a lot of people were bashing other people in some form or argument over D Minor, Spinal Tap and Subjectivism :p

However, I thought I'd ask (what I believe!) is a more relevant question, and, as we are in MT, I assume will be useful.

I'm asking for YOUR IDEAS (no bashing please, everybody has their own opinion, whether subjective or fuelled with the knowledge of music!) on what creates a sad progression/melody.

Tom.
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Damnit, should've prepared for that answer!
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Quote by Troutzilla
Lyrics about dead puppies can make the happiest melody sad....

Point/Counterpoint by Streetlight Manifesto immediately springs to mind!
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Slower melodic phrasing

Slower rhythms

Spacier accompaniments (like finger picked chords or arpeggios)

Minor chords, although l don't think it matters if it's a major progression or a minor progression.

I don't know, I'll post more when l think of it
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
A peice of music that sounds sad. Although another person might not neccesarily feel the same way about that song.
mainly the vocals to be honest, instruments are much harder to convey emotion in than a voice.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by sTarbuck
Just read a thread where a lot of people were bashing other people in some form or argument over D Minor, Spinal Tap and Subjectivism :p

However, I thought I'd ask (what I believe!) is a more relevant question, and, as we are in MT, I assume will be useful.

I'm asking for YOUR IDEAS (no bashing please, everybody has their own opinion, whether subjective or fuelled with the knowledge of music!) on what creates a sad progression/melody.

Tom.

Whatever chord progression makes you feel sad.

Because this is subjective, you really have to decide for yourself based on your own experience with music. If you don't have enough experience to make that kind of decision, stop worrying about it and get yourself some experience.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by futsalman
Minor Chords

I say this because there are Minor Classical Compositions are pretty depressing.

Another tactic you can do is to write lyrics that contradict the instrumental.

If you use a Minor Chord progression and write about....for example..being in love..
You can give the listener a feeling that you are lying....no matter how sincere your
thoughts may be. This can lead to your song being played over and over to decide. People may find it extremely deep..but they just wont know why.

For example *Dirty Deeds* by ACDC.
That song convinces you that killing for revenge is an awesome thing to do.

but *Hey Joe* (made famous) by Hendrix...makes u feel its from mental illness.

Mix and match compositions and lyric styles. You may create somethin cool.

Study alot of artists. David Gilmour can make people want to cry with a Major pentatonic scale.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by futsalman
Minor Chords

I cant COMPLETELY agree with this because there's a few songs that are pretty sad that have major chords. I honestly feel uncomfortable trying to write a song with only minor chords, it just seems like the easy way out and it doesnt even always sound that great, not that there isnt any good songs with all minor chords its just that when I try to play some progression it doesnt sound too good.
I think that when there is a point in the song song that just strikes u with a force. There are moments in songs that the lead singer voice becomes desperate or the guitar bend is extra emotional, or a minor arpaggiated overdub is in the backround. I find these things in music that strike a vibe and convey an emotion that I'm feeling. not necessarily what the composer was feeling. That to me is what makes music sad or happy or whatever.