Page 1 of 4
So there's this girl I like very much atm, and she's out of state right now. She comes back in like 3 weeks, but that's beside the point. We text a lot, and we both really like each other, perhaps even a sort of love at this point.

Here's the problem: It has recently come to my attention that she doesn't believe in evolution. If you know me very much at all on here, you'll know I'm strongly against creationism and any other supernatural beliefs. My next birthday is 20, so I'm no longer in the "I'm going out with so-and-so, but I think I might dump her because blah blah blah" phase. I'm interested in a serious, long-term relationship. I don't know if I could date someone who doesn't accept evolution. I tend to think of myself as a smart guy, and I can't help but look down on people who so blatantly ignore facts.

So should I try to ignore/accept her superstitious beliefs, should I date her and just try to sneak little bits of information to try and sway her, or should I just ignore her and move on? Oh, I forgot to mention that she is my bass player's younger sister, so anything mean is out of the question. And before you say anything about that, I've already asked him for 'permission' and he's ok with it, so don't tell me not to date her on the basis of band relations.
Check out my band Disturbed
Hit it like a drunken stepfather.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Ignore it. Tell her to ignore your atheism as well...
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Well, I reckon this can be quite a touchy subject. Maybe you should just talk to her about it, in a respecting way. Just because she has those beliefs doesn't turn her into a completely different being, like you experienced she's a lovely person. Give it some time and then make a decision wether you want to or can get together with her.
rock the kasbah
Quote:
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote:
try anything form avenged sevenfold

I lol'ed.

Quote by Basti95
inb4 everyone else, well played
put on your black hood,
and team up with your atheist friends
and crusify her and then burn her
"die you CHRISTIAN DIIIIEEEEE"
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Are you serious?

Atheists are ****ing stupid.

It doesn't matter, if she accepts you, you accept her.

Especially if you "love" her.
Quote by Versailles_X

Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

well i say, if you have a strong connection then go out, unless its purely physical attraction, if she starts to shove it down your throat then thats when i say problems will start, if you can both accept each other's beliefs, and have more in common than just like how the other looks, then go out. if not then i say nay.

Quote by Versailles_X
Are you serious?

It doesn't matter, if she accepts you, you accept her.

Especially if you "love" her.

please don't strike up an argument on religion (which a statment like that will)
everyone is entitled to their religous beliefs, and each one has some serious plot holes that can compromise it. so don't start that argument.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Last edited by F8iscruel at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
There's more important things in a relationship than whether the other person accepts evolution or not.

I stated in my OP why it is of significance.
Quote by Neo Evil11
put on your black hood,
and team up with your atheist friends
and crusify her and then burn her
"die you CHRISTIAN DIIIIEEEEE"

C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
The girl I'm interested in is a Christian, but the fact that I'm an Atheist doesn't play into that. She can believe what she wants, even if I do think it's a load of bullshit. Besides, she says she doesn't even mind the 'Religion-Bashing' that I do.
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Jul 11, 2009,
Well if she isn't a very rational person, she may be kind of difficult long-term. The problem (i'm guessing) will be with you, if you're cynical and condescending everytime she's a little stupid then it's not going to work. If you're willing to let some blatant acts of retardedness slip by then, hit it, my son.

My dad was an atheist and my mother was christian, she was dumb but he was always being a douche about it. Choose wisely.
Better than Jesus, Megatron and T-Rex combined.

-
(. Y .)(. Y .)
- ) . ( - ) . (
- \ v / - \ v /

This ^ is why I'm right.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
There's more important things in a relationship than whether the other person accepts evolution or not.

I beg to differ
I couldn't live with someone like that.
If she doesn't accept evolution then there is a ****load of stuff she doesn't believe in!
She will think that what I am studying on the university is bull****.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
That's just your insanely inflamed ego talking. Get rid of it.

I'm atheist and my gf is christian. Big whoop?

Learn to be accepting of others considering what you believe AND what she belives is not fact. It's simply a belief.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

My ex was a very devout christian and I am your stereotypical athiest. We had an amazing relationship for about 2 years but she ended up realizing (with much help from her friends and family) that she needed someone as devout as her to build a lasting relationship with. The moral of the story is sure date her at will but don't be surprised when she skeets crazy on your face one day out of nowhere. /coolblogbro
You can't agree on anything. If you really like each other, stuff like that shouldn't really matter. Just respect each other's view on the matter. Easy for me to say though, being an agnostic slacker.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Is she actually a Christian, or does she just not believe in evolution.

And if you really 'love' her, why should it matter? I doubt you two are going to debate about it all the time.

J-Edit: ^ That.

And I too am an agnostic slacker
Last edited by jbridge90 at Jul 11, 2009,
No not really. But I do think that there are more important things that you should be concerned about. my girlfriend'[s family are incredibly religious, I just shut up around them and pretend to be a good catholic boy. My girlfriend was religious when I started going out with her, but has become less so over time and is pretty much an atheist now.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by shakin'cakes

Learn to be accepting of others considering what you believe AND what she belives is not fact. It's simply a belief.

No: what christians believe is a belief. Evolution is THE truth
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Versailles_X
Are you serious?

Most of the religious people I know wouldn't date Atheists based on their rejection of religion. It's not stupid at all to ask the other way round.
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
If shes christian she probably wont date you.If shes not, well, I wouldnt try to sway her.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Don't try sway her. No matter how awesome you think your argument is, if someone else believes what they think is right then they WILL NEVER change when you pressure them.

Just keep your beliefs to yourself, it's not like it's a life-defining thing. Well unless she prays or whatever every meal time, but even then, it won't kill you.
So you love her but there's one problem, she doesn't believe in evolution? I recommend you get a new identity and avoid her like Jesus avoided certain death - which definitely happened.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Last edited by kidsilcon at Jul 11, 2009,
How about accepting the fact that creationism is simply a cooler word than evolution.
Quote by Versailles_X

I've done some thinking and you're right. Its much smarter to blindly believe in an all-knowing deity!

Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

Quote by shakin'cakes

spot on.

She isnt stupid for not believing in evolution, and you aren't stupid for being an atheist. People are allowed to believe what they want to, and you are not superior to her because you're an atheist. If thats the way you're thinking I dont hold out much hope for your relationship mate.
Bowing down to disillusion, hats off and applause to Rogues and evolution - Incubus - Rogues
Quote by Darkkon
How about accepting the fact that creationism is simply a cooler word than evolution.

At least creationism involves nude girls.
Quote by lizarday
Go for it. However, do stick a big fossil on the mantlepiece whenever she comes round.

Fossil in a box? No?
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']I've done some thinking and you're right. Its much smarter to blindly believe in an all-knowing deity!

I have my own beliefs, I don't agree with every part of any religion.

They are all flawed.

I beleive in God and Jesus, but maybe not in the traditional way.

I dunno what that makes me.
Quote by Neo Evil11
No: what christians believe is a belief. Evolution is THE truth

Were you there when monkeys starting growing into humans?

No. Don't take all 2nd hand information as the absolute truth. In fact, don't take any information as the absolute truth.

The reality is, everything just IS. Don't judge it, don't try to logicise it. Just let it be, and all will be ****in chill.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

Quote by webbtje
Go for it. However, do stick a big fossil on the mantlepiece whenever she comes round.

Subtle mockery FTW.
Quote by lizarday
Just to clear things up, she's not a hardcore christian. She doesn't even go to church. She just believes "God did it."
Quote by StewieSwan
I stated in my OP why it is of significance.

Quote by shakin'cakes

That's all there is to it. Hell, I have a scientific degree. I believe in evolution. That doesn't give me a right to think I'm better than people who don't believe in evolution. Why? Because at the end of it all, does it really matter? I have many friends of different faiths. Why is that? It's because we can all see past beliefs and look at the person underneath it all. Just because someone believes in the Bible doesn't make them stupid. If you use religion as a basis for whether you have a relationship with someone, then you're going to lose out. I feel sorry for you that you can feel so stuck up and pompous that you would actually use a relationship to try and sway someone, to be honest. I always thought relationships were for better or worse. I've had things with previous girlfriends we didn't see eye to eye to, but you work through that and you accept it.

Quote by shakin'cakes

No. Don't take all 2nd hand information as the absolute truth. In fact, don't take any information as the absolute truth.

Well, no-one was, because humans didn't evolve from monkeys at all.
Quote by Injuyin
Don't try sway her. No matter how awesome you think your argument is, if someone else believes what they think is right then they WILL NEVER change when you pressure them.

Not true. Stupid people won't change, most people will.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by shakin'cakes

The reality is, everything just IS. Don't judge it, don't try to logicise it. Just let it be, and all will be ****in chill.

I was not being 100% serious but 99.9999999999999999999999999%
I didn't have to be around because everything is still IN da ground.
Evolution has proof.

Denying evolution really is like denying that hitler killed all those jews.
We haven't seen it, but there is proof.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 4