i turned my computer off by holding down the power button in fustration because it was being stupidly slow. When i turned it back on everything was gone.

Well...it's not gone, it's still all there. Just I can only get to my music/pictures/videos if i do a search for them.

I've tried system restore, did **** all.
Anyone know how i can fix it?
Quote by sam b
Apologise and buy it some flowers

This would most likely work.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Stuff can't just disappear from a computer by itself... You probably had a virus or you did something stupid.

Anyway, try the system restore and the computer thread.
Don't turn it off by using the power button?

Seriously, that messes up it so bad it starts ****ting bricks after.
I drink your milkshake.
Did something happen to your explorer.exe? A virus deleted it once on my old computer so I had to download one off the internet except it was off a Spanish speaking website. So now when I use it, the start button says "Iniciar."

I got owned.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
Quote by AStrangleHold
Did something happen to your explorer.exe? A virus deleted it once on my old computer so I had to download one off the internet except it was off a Spanish speaking website. So now when I use it, the start button says "Iniciar."

I got owned.

Quote by Cannibal_freak1
i turned my computer off by holding down the power button in fustration because it was being stupidly slow. When i turned it back on everything was gone.

Well...it's not gone, it's still all there. Just I can only get to my music/pictures/videos if i do a search for them.

I've tried system restore, did **** all.
Anyone know how i can fix it?

Did the big boy get angry at a computer? Jackass. The computer isn't rubbish, you are.

Next time turn it off properly, this time? Ask the computer thread, though I wouldn't be shocked if they couldn't give a flying Jean Claude Van Damme either
reformat and enjoy the downtime...

Quote by Chris Schementi
get a mac.

yeah, here is some good advice! pay twice as much for something that works half as well!!!
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by joshua029

yeah, here is some good advice! pay twice as much for something that works half as well!!!

A man who speaketh sense!

Mac's are lame, they DO break, they DO crash, they are just as unreliable as a PC if you can't run either properly.

Don't get a mac, just Lrn2Windows.
Quote by joshua029

*get a mac*

Does a PC get viruses? Yes.
Does a Mac get viruses? No

Does a PC slow down? Yes
Does a Mac slow down? No

Owned.
Quote by nospacesallowed
Does a Mac slow down? No

Wait. Are you actually saying that Macs NEVER slow down? Ever?
Quote by nospacesallowed

Does a PC slow down? Yes
Does a Mac slow down? No

Owned.

Macs DO get viruses. Just not so many, because once they've paid for the Mac, they've got no money left to steal.
What is your problem exactly? Did your files disappear, or you just can't search?
Try downloading Ubuntu 9.04 (or 8.10, 8.04, whatever) and boot it, livecd style, no installing - find anything you need on your HDD and backup it anywhere you want. If the linux distro doesn't find your files, they are most probably just gone.
OR
those files are deleted - in that case use a deleted files restoration program, there are quite a few of those
Or you can use that same money and build a computer that's 3x than any stock mac you'll get.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Chris Schementi
get a mac.

Porsche Price tag for Skoda performance?

I think not.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Don't feel bad, my computer runs like **** too. The version of Ubuntu my computer runs on has a major bug that makes Intel run like absolute ****. Nothing plays and everything is slow.
Quote by nospacesallowed
Let's just leave it at Apple > Microsoft

Which would be fine if ANYONE had agreed with that on this page...
Quote by nospacesallowed
Let's just leave it at Apple > Microsoft

Nooooo, Linux>Microsoft>Apple
I'll chime in with my two cents and say that Macs are usually more reliable than Windows and get less viruses, which is because less viruses are written for them because there's not enough users to make it worth while. However, unless you're interested in Audio stuff, most stuff will run better on a PC because it's written for it.
sig goes here
Quote by skaterskagg1
Nooooo, Linux>Microsoft>Apple
Linux is an operating system not a company so -

Canonical>Novell>Apple>Microsoft

There ya go
Quote by Nietsche
Linux is an operating system not a company so -

Canonical>Novell>Apple>Microsoft

There ya go

Huh. Never seen Novell mentioned here. Novell= <3
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by nospacesallowed

Does a PC slow down? Yes
Does a Mac slow down? No

Owned.

Macs don't get viruses because nobody cares enough about them to bother.

Analogy:

"Oh crap! My Ferrari just got stolen.

Lol should've bought a Toyota Sienna. They're so superior and have the lowest stealing rate of all cars, with their super amazing security.
How's your Ferrari with only 2 seats, anyways?
OWNED!"

Macs better not slow down anyways, they're damn expensive.
The arena is empty except for one man,
Still driving and striving as fast as he can.
The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
And long ago somebody left with the cup,
But he's driving and striving and hugging the turns...
Quote by Nietsche
Hate to spoil the fun dude but Linux is lightyears ahead of windows

Mac does suck though

As for TS lern2computer

I fear you've missed the point of the pic

Linux being an operating system you (usually) REALLY have to know your **** to get anything done
Quote by JohnnyV
I fear you've missed the point of the pic

Linux being an operating system you (usually) REALLY have to know your **** to get anything done
Thankyou sir I have been enlightened
Quote by Nietsche
Thankyou sir I have been enlightened

It's all good sir, i just like to trash Mac every chance I get. I have too much experience troubleshooting with the userbase and i'm sur ethey all wear velcro shoes.

TS - I'm afraid i have no solutions as i'm not exactly sure whats going on. Sounds like missing shortcuts or something
Quote by Davus
Macs don't get viruses because nobody cares enough about them to bother.

Analogy:

"Oh crap! My Ferrari just got stolen.

Lol should've bought a Toyota Sienna. They're so superior and have the lowest stealing rate of all cars, with their super amazing security.
How's your Ferrari with only 2 seats, anyways?
OWNED!"

Macs better not slow down anyways, they're damn expensive.

Hackers don't make virus's for Macintosh computers because its not worth their time. Its so easy for hackers to design a virus that can infect Windows its not even funny. I listen to Leo Laporte's podcasts and shows, and every day people call in and say "my pc is infected, halp!". Want to know how many Mac user's call in and ask that? None.

Some basic assumptions:
People are stupid
People buy computers
Windows OS is on most computers
Windows OS is easy to infect

TLDR: Lots of stupid people using an OS that's easy to infect=hacker's wet dream.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON