Page 1 of 2
I currently have a Gibson Les Paul Standard and I'm thinking of changing the pickups to a more metaloriented. Until now I've been playing a lot of blues and rock and it has been working great, but I'm currenty playing more Metal oriented music (Mostly Lamb of GoD) and I'm not happy with the sound. It's too much unwanted noise for this fast paced type of music; the sound I currently have is better for the
more "thrashy" 80's sound.

So, I want a very clear sound with very little noise(I'm also doing some recording and this is a good thing for this as well), and of course a good distorted sound. I don't want it to be too much so it becomes muddy though.,

Anyone got any recommendations? Would changing pickups be a good idea or should I just invest in another guitar for more metal oriented music isntead? In that case, what type of guitar do you recommend? Ibanez, PRS or ESP? Nothing Fender, I'm not such a fender fa n
You could put a higher output pickup in the bridge, leave the neck pickup stock. So you'll have a good neck pickup for softer stuff and a bridge pickup for the metal. Look into Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio pickups. I wouldn't put actives in it, too much of a hassle and will completely destroy the LP tone.
Thank you for the advice! I'll look into that!

Btw, I'm a newb! What is the difference between active and passive mics? Do you think I have passive mics? Just bought the LP Standard used from Ebay and I think it isn't adjusted before it was bought as a new guitar.
So you want a djent djent super tight tone? I really really like the Dimarzio D Sonic with the blade towards the bridge for that.
Yea I want a really tight and clear tone, cos I'm playing a lot of speedy stuff and I want to have the clarity there, thanks I will take a look at that as well
A les paul can easily do metal with everything stock if you have a high gain amp. What amp are you running through?
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Jimibendix
Thank you for the advice! I'll look into that!

Btw, I'm a newb! What is the difference between active and passive mics? Do you think I have passive mics? Just bought the LP Standard used from Ebay and I think it isn't adjusted before it was bought as a new guitar.

If you don't need to put a battery in your guitar, you have passive pickups.

Like stated before, don't put in active pickups as that will involve a whole lot of cutting to place in a battery box, and cutting into a Les Paul is cutting directly into the tone.

For your pickup(s) I would check out Seymour Duncan. The Duncan Custom SH-5 has some pretty good distortion (although not great cleans) so you can use that for your bridge pickup and switch to the neck when you need to do a clean passage.

Of course, the stock pickups will usually do just fine, often all you need to do is play with your amp. If you are experiencing unwanted noise, then try playing with the gain until you get a balance between reduced noise and heavy distortion.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Last edited by Xeron Brigs at Jul 11, 2009,
To get a super super tight clear tone requires a very expensive amplifier. A nice pickup will clean up some sound but it won´t tighten up the tone quite as much as you think it will.

Or you could get a high end modeller like the POD X3 or X3 Live.
Last edited by Vlasco at Jul 11, 2009,
If you have enough money to think about another guitar, then I can actually suggest these to you (most people don't have the budget for things like these...)

If you want something super versatile that will sound great for both hard rock and blues and will give you enough low end and kick in the balls for metal look at these.

http://www.wcrguitar.com/american_steele.html

They're like PAF pickups in voicing but fatter and more focused, the neck is a Crossroads model which is more like a traditional PAF, probably similar in tone to your current neck (if it's a burstbucker) but with more complexity, clarity, less noise and just better in every way. The WCR Crossroads is the best neck pickup I've ever heard, my guitar has always had problems with neck pickup mud and if you want something articulate, if the WCR crossroads doesn't do it, THEN you need a new guitar. And the Godwood bridge is jsut about the thickest, fattest sounding humbucker you will ever play. Jim Wagner has clips of both the Crossroads and Godwoods on his site. The American Steele set is just the combination of the two.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 11, 2009,
You could try the Ice Buckers from WCR and tell me how they are. I would assume they are ultra tight because of the player that designed them, but I would like a review from someone without a $6,000 amp head hahah.
Quote by gstacey1
A les paul can easily do metal with everything stock if you have a high gain amp. What amp are you running through?

I'm not using any amp, I'm using Guitar Rig 3(Going to take a look at Amplitube 2 as well).

I do have a pretty small tech 21 amp tho which I have been using before and I might use it as a preamp.

THanks for the replies!
Quote by Vlasco
You could try the Ice Buckers from WCR and tell me how they are. I would assume they are ultra tight because of the player that designed them, but I would like a review from someone without a $6,000 amp head hahah.
I'd love to hear more first hand accounts of WCR Icebuckers, Iron Mans, and Hercs, it seems like all people ever buy from WCR are Darkbursts, Crossroads, Fillmores and Godwoods.

I actually have a set of Fillmores which are great, but I'm replacing them with Crossroads.
Once I have more money I may give them a shot. To my ears BKP were dissapointing so maybe WCR is a more worth it botique brand.
Well new pickups arn't really gonna change your tone that much with a modeler.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Jimibendix
I'm not using any amp, I'm using Guitar Rig 3(Going to take a look at Amplitube 2 as well).

I do have a pretty small tech 21 amp tho which I have been using before and I might use it as a preamp.

THanks for the replies!

Specifically what settings are you using in Guitar Rig 3?

Quote by gstacey1
Well new pickups arn't really gonna change your tone that much with a modeler.

It still gives a noticeable difference.
Quote by Vlasco
Once I have more money I may give them a shot. To my ears BKP were dissapointing so maybe WCR is a more worth it botique brand.
I prefer WCRs to BKP myself, but I think Tim Mills at BKP does a great job and makes a pretty good pickup himself and does one of the more accurate PAF recreations, but imo the pickups that I've played of his just do not have the character or complexity of the WCR Crossroads. Maybe the Mules sound a bit more like real PAFs, but the CRs just sound better imo. They're both great winders though and make great products.
Quote by Xeron Brigs
Specifically what settings are you using in Guitar Rig 3?

I've been fooling around with a Lead800 with mixed cabinet combined with the noise suppresion effect and the "Cat" Distortion.

I've also Been using the Gratifier combined with the Skreamer as distortion and it has turned out pretty good.

Currently I'm on vacation but I will update with more details when I come back if needed
Quote by al112987
If you have enough money to think about another guitar, then I can actually suggest these to you (most people don't have the budget for things like these...)

If you want something super versatile that will sound great for both hard rock and blues and will give you enough low end and kick in the balls for metal look at these.

http://www.wcrguitar.com/american_steele.html

They're like PAF pickups in voicing but fatter and more focused, the neck is a Crossroads model which is more like a traditional PAF, probably similar in tone to your current neck (if it's a burstbucker) but with more complexity, clarity, less noise and just better in every way. The WCR Crossroads is the best neck pickup I've ever heard, my guitar has always had problems with neck pickup mud and if you want something articulate, if the WCR crossroads doesn't do it, THEN you need a new guitar. And the Godwood bridge is jsut about the thickest, fattest sounding humbucker you will ever play. Jim Wagner has clips of both the Crossroads and Godwoods on his site. The American Steele set is just the combination of the two.

Thanks! Did you have a link for the guitars you suggested? or is it in the wcrguitar link as well?
Quote by Jimibendix
I've been fooling around with a Lead800 with mixed cabinet combined with the noise suppresion effect and the "Cat" Distortion.

I've also Been using the Gratifier combined with the Skreamer as distortion and it has turned out pretty good.

Currently I'm on vacation but I will update with more details when I come back if needed

I can see why you are complaining about unwanted noise: barely moving your fingers across the strings makes a highly audible sound!

Essentially you are raising the gain to an extremely high level with the addition of those distortion boxes: try cutting back some if you can. Also, with your cabinets you might also want to mess with the types of mics you are using and where you put them: a Dynamic 606 placed on the axis of a 2x12 will give you a harsher sound than a Dynamic 57 placed off axis to a 4x12 UK 60s.

Try messing with your settings some to see if you can reduce the noise: chances are you can do it without changing your pickups.

Also, how long have you been playing?
My favorite pickup combination for virtually anything is either Seymour Duncan JB/Seymour Duncan '59 or DiMarzio Super Distortion/DiMarzio PAF.
have you tried swapping the stock 490R + 498T for a set of 496R + 500T (LP Classic). its a little hotter. just a good idea to try gibson first IMO. you have all the amps you need. a small pickup change is all you really need. you want to make small changes or you really end up in a totally different place. and be careful about switching just one pickup as it may be too loud in comparison with the other. not a problem for studio recording though.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by Jimibendix
Thanks! Did you have a link for the guitars you suggested? or is it in the wcrguitar link as well?
My suggestions were just for pickups, when I say neck and bridge, I meant the neck pickup and bridge pickup. Sorry about the lack of clarification. The set I recommended is a combination of WCR's Crossroad set and Godwood set using the CR neck pickup and GW bridge pickup. You can hear several clips of the Crossroads and Godwoods all around the net, a ton of people love them, especially on The Gear Page and Les Paul Forum. Here are some clips... most of them might not really suit the style you're looking for as most people who buy them get them for blues rock, but the GW can certainly get you a pretty good '80s rock and metal tone if you dial it in right and stays versatile enough for any blues or hard rock you would like to play.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6477007 (CR)
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6477019 (GW playing the same clip as above)
http://www.seventurns.net/sounds/dontwant_cross.mp3 (CR, listen to the lead coming in at about 1:00, that's the CR neck pickup, and the lead following that is the bridge, but you may like something hotter than the CR bridge)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQdGRkpyMos (GW bridge in a metal demo)

I don't own any of these clips, they're just some of my favorite sounding ones from around the web.

There were several clips on the WCR website as well, but they're almost always doing bluesier stuff.
http://www.wcrguitar.com/Artists.html (there is a soundclip of the GW next to James Lugo of him playing the GW through several amps, a Marshall with the brown eye mod, Fender deluxe reverb, Germino classic 45 (JTM45 clone), and a Diezel herbert.

I'm not a big fan of this "get a neck pickup for cleans, bridge pickup for overdrive" nonsense, since then you are really limiting your sound, and there are a ton of pickups out there that sound good in the neck both overdriven and clean, and ditto for the bridge.

Only drawback to WCRs is that they're expensive, but I mean, they're not any more than any other high end pickup maker.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by Xeron Brigs
I can see why you are complaining about unwanted noise: barely moving your fingers across the strings makes a highly audible sound!

Essentially you are raising the gain to an extremely high level with the addition of those distortion boxes: try cutting back some if you can. Also, with your cabinets you might also want to mess with the types of mics you are using and where you put them: a Dynamic 606 placed on the axis of a 2x12 will give you a harsher sound than a Dynamic 57 placed off axis to a 4x12 UK 60s.

Try messing with your settings some to see if you can reduce the noise: chances are you can do it without changing your pickups.

Also, how long have you been playing?

Exactly, thanks for the responses, I will certainly try different cabinets and cut some of the gain. I'm also going to follow this guide to get a good and clean metal tone before getting into buying new pickups: http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewforum.php?f=49

I've been playing for 6 years now, been very influenced by Jimi Hendrix(hence my username ) since the beginning. Now I go to a music college and I'm learninga whole lot of useful stuff to improve my playing I also recently got into Cubase and Guitar Rig and now I'm very interested in getting a good sound on my guitar(Haven't had any idea how to set up a good sound on the amp etc and I'm pretty new to differences between pickups etc).

Now I'm both into metal(Lamb of God. nothing else really xD) and some Jazz / fusion(I really like Fives by Guthrie Govan)
Quote by al112987
My suggestions were just for pickups, when I say neck and bridge, I meant the neck pickup and bridge pickup. Sorry about the lack of clarification. The set I recommended is a combination of WCR's Crossroad set and Godwood set using the CR neck pickup and GW bridge pickup. You can hear several clips of the Crossroads and Godwoods all around the net, a ton of people love them, especially on The Gear Page and Les Paul Forum. Here are some clips... most of them might not really suit the style you're looking for as most people who buy them get them for blues rock, but the GW can certainly get you a pretty good '80s rock and metal tone if you dial it in right and stays versatile enough for any blues or hard rock you would like to play.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6477007 (CR)
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6477019 (GW playing the same clip as above)
http://www.seventurns.net/sounds/dontwant_cross.mp3 (CR, listen to the lead coming in at about 1:00, that's the CR neck pickup, and the lead following that is the bridge, but you may like something hotter than the CR bridge)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQdGRkpyMos (GW bridge in a metal demo)

I don't own any of these clips, they're just some of my favorite sounding ones from around the web.

There were several clips on the WCR website as well, but they're almost always doing bluesier stuff.
http://www.wcrguitar.com/Artists.html (there is a soundclip of the GW next to James Lugo of him playing the GW through several amps, a Marshall with the brown eye mod, Fender deluxe reverb, Germino classic 45 (JTM45 clone), and a Diezel herbert.

I'm not a big fan of this "get a neck pickup for cleans, bridge pickup for overdrive" nonsense, since then you are really limiting your sound, and there are a ton of pickups out there that sound good in the neck both overdriven and clean, and ditto for the bridge.

Only drawback to WCRs is that they're expensive, but I mean, they're not any more than any other high end pickup maker.

Ah okay I get it now Thanks for clarifying! And nice examples!
Jimibendix, the guitarists in Lamb of God use Seymour Duncan '59s and JBs. Something you can get for pretty cheap but imo the JB does not sound good in les pauls.
Quote by al112987
Jimibendix, the guitarists in Lamb of God use Seymour Duncan '59s and JBs. Something you can get for pretty cheap but imo the JB does not sound good in les pauls.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah I've heard a lot of people talk about Seymour Duncans and I think I might try one. Any pickups that are good to combine with SD 59's? Also, what is a good spot for it? Neck or Bridge? And do you think these will help get me a more tight and clear sound?
The SD Custom Custom is good with the '59.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
*Update*

I want a clear and very tight sound for recording metal. I'm playing pretty fast paced riffs(Similar to Lamb of God / As I Lay Dying) so I want the Clarity there; I DONT want a highly distortioned and muddy sound:p. I'm using Guitar Rig 3 as an AMP.

What do you think would be the best for me on my Gibson Les Paul?

I'm hovering between Dimarzio D Sonic or Seymour Duncan 59's. I might only replace one of my pickups and leave the other one stock so I can change to a more warm and softer sound for other stuff than metal. However I can change both of my mics though! Any good combinations for my needs?

THANKS FOR REPLIES SO FAR! REALLY HELPFUL STUFF!

EDIT: I REALLY like the aggresive and sharp, yet clean sound of Mark Morton from Lamb of God, but I think that's pretty hard to recreate. He isn't using any distortion pedals just combining two amps; one with mid's turned to 0 and one with mid's turned to full. And he is using a Jackson guitar. But I want to get pretty close to his sound.
Last edited by Jimibendix at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by gstacey1

line6 spider
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Also try palm muting a bit farther from the bridge - that will tighten up your tone a bit.
Quote by Vlasco
Also try palm muting a bit farther from the bridge - that will tighten up your tone a bit.

Thanks for the tip! Will try that.

Hehe will probably bump up with a clip from my band once I've got my guitar tone nailed down and recorded it :> But gotta decide on Pickups first.
Quote by Snake™
The SD Custom Custom is good with the '59.

Thanks I'll take a look at it!
I've heared Seymour Duncan are more vintage and more fit for classic 80's rock sound, but I'm more into new, more tight and clear metal sounds so I've decided on a Dimarzio.

Any1 got any experience on Dimarzio Sonic D or Breed(or any other Dimarzio Puckup)for Gibson Les Paul?
burstbucker 3! i LOVE mine. you could keep your guitar all gibson. it's a great little pickup, and looks awesome black and creme zebra style. plus if you keep your stock neck pickup you'd have a hell of a tone range there

EDIT: about dimarzio, the super distortion is pretty much tops for me. it sounds amazing. clear as glass
Quote by Jimibendix
I've heared Seymour Duncan are more vintage and more fit for classic 80's rock sound, but I'm more into new, more tight and clear metal sounds so I've decided on a Dimarzio.

Any1 got any experience on Dimarzio Sonic D or Breed(or any other Dimarzio Puckup)for Gibson Les Paul?

If you´re asking which is tighter then the D Sonic is. The Breed is much thicker sounding, but isn´t as tight as the D Sonic.
Quote by Jimibendix

I have the Dimarzio Breed in my RG321MH, and it rips. I its really tight, crisp, and clear when I'm playing LoG, KS:E, As I Lay Dying, or any other kind of metal for that matter.

You say you have a band though, what happens when you start practicing with them or gigging? do you still carry around your computer to use Guitar Rig?

You might want to invest in a tube amp first and then go from there to find what pickups you'll want, because the amp will give you your base tone and then the pickups will be there to bring that tone to where you want it to be. You might not want a middy, tight bass, round highs pickup (The Breed) because your amp is already middy and bassy and you need the highs of a Dimarzio Super 2 to help you cut through and get the tone you want. Its just a suggestion. But I can vouch for the Breeds being able to get the tone you want.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
I have the Dimarzio Breed in my RG321MH, and it rips. I its really tight, crisp, and clear when I'm playing LoG, KS:E, As I Lay Dying, or any other kind of metal for that matter.

You say you have a band though, what happens when you start practicing with them or gigging? do you still carry around your computer to use Guitar Rig?

You might want to invest in a tube amp first and then go from there to find what pickups you'll want, because the amp will give you your base tone and then the pickups will be there to bring that tone to where you want it to be. You might not want a middy, tight bass, round highs pickup (The Breed) because your amp is already middy and bassy and you need the highs of a Dimarzio Super 2 to help you cut through and get the tone you want. Its just a suggestion. But I can vouch for the Breeds being able to get the tone you want.

Sounds good! Wonder how it's going to be on a Les Paul. I've just bought the little Guitar Rig 3 Session XE which is just the soudncard; I don't have the full version with the pedal which would be great live. And I don't have a laptop so I can't use it on concerts as for now. But i might invest in both a laptop and upgrade my computer.

As for the more thick tone of the breed as u describe it I think the SOnic D will be better for me; I like a more sharp and aggressive tone. But yeah as you said, the amp the most important aspect in that area.
Page 1 of 2