I've been playing bass for roughly 2 and half years now and last night I played my first real gig. It wasn't exactly under the best of circumstances though, on Thursday I got a message asking whether I wanted to jam in the Music department, it being the last day of school. Little did I know that we weren't just jamming I was actually expected to play a live gig! So overall we had about 3 hours practising and we came up with about 3 'songs'. We decided on pschadelic rock as a genre as we could play any old crap and no one could complain, what we ended up with was 'the bass intro song' (named because it had a bass intro) 'the E song' (named as I pretty much played the same note in different octaves thoughout the song) and 'the blues one' which was essentially 12 bar blues with fuzz and phasers.
As for the performance, well... I'm happy to say that nothing that went wrong was my fault probably because I was ****ting myself too much to play anything adventurous. The first song should have been the best but for some reason the guitar was inaudible and the sound guy didn't seem to care (the guitar was running through a small amp and a PA). The 2nd song, the one almost entirely in E, actually worked out brilliant apart from the fact that the drummer twatted imself in the face with his drumstick at the end of the song and then decided to swap with the guitarist. He wasn't a bad guitarist and the guitarist was a good drummer but we hadn't practised in this line up and he ha failed to ask me what key the song was in and thanks to the huge amounts of effects we were using he couldn't really tell what key he was in. Overall I think it was certainly an experience worth having if nothing more...

To bring some point into this story, when I was playing and during the sound check I got a lot of weird looks due to the effects I was using. Has anyone else ever had experiences where they have been ridiculed for using effects? In my case especially the effects I was using (Fuzz and Envelope plus a phaser on the last song) were essential to the sound we were making.
Yeah some people tend to be quite old fashioned about bass players using effects, but if it sounds good, they usually change their minds.

Quote by 100%guitarmad

Yeah I laughed at that too
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by 100%guitarmad

My thoughts exactly. *adds to vocabulary*

I've never been laughed at for using effects, I don't think. I remember a drummer freind giving me tons of weird looks once whilst fannying around with an envelope filter, but thats expected. It's a pretty funny effect.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Sounds like a decent gig. You wont usually get mocked for using effects I think it`s just not as common for a us bassists to use effects in most peoples minds.
Only if you use them to hide your bad playing (if it is bad). Otherwise being ridiculed for using making your bass sound different would be stupid.
Last edited by MOODY17 at Jul 11, 2009,
i was playing with a few friends one lunchtime (i think it was plug in baby or some other muse) and the head of music told me to turn off the fuzz as "bass should stay clean whatever genre it is"
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by moody git
i was playing with a few friends one lunchtime (i think it was plug in baby or some other muse) and the head of music told me to turn off the fuzz as "bass should stay clean whatever genre it is"

What an ignoramus
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Well, there's an element of truth there. He's wrong saying that bass should always be clean, but right in the sense that maybe the fundamental note was being lost? With bass it's much more important to mould a clean and a dirty signal together. But that can get expensive.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Well, there's an element of truth there. He's wrong saying that bass should always be clean, but right in the sense that maybe the fundamental note was being lost? With bass it's much more important to mould a clean and a dirty signal together. But that can get expensive.

My philosophy is: If it sounds good, then it is good.

vice versa
Quote by guitarhero_764

That story reminds me of how happy i was that my first couple gigs were people just invited to our practices for a party. Made a great atmosphere and they got pretty drunk. It helped with my nerves and such.

Agreed ScottB.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Luckily my multi FX pedal (a Zoom B2 if anyone is interested, great if you don't know what effects to get) has a good blend option so my sound was about 30% clean and 70% ear****ery (in a good way).

Quote by Revelation
That story reminds me of how happy i was that my first couple gigs were people just invited to our practices for a party. Made a great atmosphere and they got pretty drunk. It helped with my nerves and such.

The 'no drinks on stage' sign at the venue upset me greatly.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 11, 2009,
My first gig was the best time ever (Vocals only). I've played in front of ~300people in an open air stage. I handle big crowds well, but small gigs(Pubs, ~50 people shows) are my worst. It happened when I was performing with my grindcore project (Vocals/bass). The people were absoloutley terrible. 80% of them were wasted, 10% were giving the "Meh, lame" look, and the last 10% were actually enjoying themselves. IMO the performace was perfect. On the other hand, when I was playing with my folkrock band, we made some really stupid mistakes in front of 300 people. So to make a long and stupid story short - it's the people's reaction to your music, not the actual performance, that makes a gig.
Sounds like you had a fun, if nervous, good time.
My first and only gig so far was an okay experience, we had a small crowd, but it was at a restaurant banquet and we had to keep our amps volume super-low so as not to disturb other patrons. It went okay other than that. Kinda boring though.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
Quote by Caltelt
Sounds like you had a fun, if nervous, good time.

I'm not joking when I say the strap of my bass reaks of sweat! I didn't know that was even possible!
Quote by Spaz91
I'm not joking when I say the strap of my bass reaks of sweat! I didn't know that was even possible!

dude I had a gig last night and my hair reeked of sweat and smoke.

gigs get smelly if you're doing it right (I jump/headbang alot)
no sig for joo
Quote by Spaz91

Yeah and with only 3 hours to practice I was nervous as hell and id had 3 weeks to practice.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
Quote by Spaz91
apart from the fact that the drummer twatted himself in the face with his drumstick.

As a drummer, I sympathise.

Didn't sound too bad though, good on you.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Well, so far I've played one live 'gig', and that was playing bass at my church service to fill in for the regular bassist. I asked about using my BP80 and the sound guy had no problems with it. It actually helped because I could adjust my volume with it more precisely than the mixer could.

But I just used it to get a nice warm clean tone, so I wasn't really using many effects.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jul 12, 2009,
my first gig sucked, but was still a learning experience. Our "leader" booked a coffee house gig and jumped it on us when I just joined the band. During one of the 3 songs my strap came off my bass and I just caught it before it hit the stage. Paused for a couple seconds then jumped back in the song. I'd do it again..but with strap locks. lol
Gear
Esp C-10 4-string
Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5-string
Fender Telecoustic
Ampeg B115
Marshall Jackhammer dist/overdrive
Electro Harmonix Big muff Fuzz
Danelectro milkshake Chorus
Seiko SAT500 Chromatic Tuner
Elixer Cables