I was bored out of my skull while waiting at the airport for 12 hours, so I picked up the book "Hot, Flat, and Crowded" by Thomas Friedman. He's the same author who wrote "The World is Flat." That book was about globalization and how the whole world is coming out to be a level playing field. The newest book, Hot, Flat, and Crowded, talks about the convergence of global warming, globalization, and overpopulation, and how it's fucking everything over.

If you haven't heard of or read this book yet, go pick it up - it's really informative and helps you understand a little better how the world is doing as a whole in terms of the energy crisis and how we need to completely rethink our entire infrastructure.

I just wanted to bring up general discussion on the topics of global warming, globalization, and overpopulation. Discuss.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Overpopulation is probably the biggest problem. If we nuke the sh*t out of enough places, it would solve overpopulation, and globalisation.
the excess of co2 in the air supposedly meant the world's crops are growing better the past few years, and if not for the carbon dioxide we're pumping out, we wouldn't have enough food to sustain our current population.

makes you think, huh?

my stance on this stuff is: better safe than sorry.
also, i hate how people talk about "carbon footprints" and "carbon" emissions, because it's not ****ing carbon. people are made from carbon. a lot of stuff is made from carbon. carbon =/= carbon dioxide.

/rant.

EDIT: i agree, overpopulation is the biggest threat.
Quote by funkyducky
the excess of co2 in the air supposedly meant the world's crops are growing better the past few years, and if not for the carbon dioxide we're pumping out, we wouldn't have enough food to sustain our current population.

...Not quite...

I think you completely underestimate the magnitude of the CO2 emissions. A big herd of cattle belch out more methane, another greenhouse gas, than a highway full of Hummers.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I received the book as a gift a while back, but I've only read the first chapter so far. It definitely seems to be well-written, though. Friedman is very intelligent.
Quote by darkstar2466
...Not quite...

I think you completely underestimate the magnitude of the CO2 emissions. A big herd of cattle belch out more methane, another greenhouse gas, than a highway full of Hummers.

methane exists in the atmosphere in concentrations measured in parts per billion, as opposed to co2, in parts per million, but methane is the more damaging. however, methane dissipates from the atmosphere in ~2 decades, but co2 will be there for at least a few 100 years.
just another random fact.
Last edited by funkyducky at Jul 11, 2009,
My thoughts:

Overpopulation: I don't view a population increase as strictly a bad thing. There is a direct correlation between the accelerated amount of ideas in the 20th and 21st centuries and the rapid population growth. However, it's when people are born into circumstances where they can't make anything out of their lives that creates a problem. So I think that big rich countries with low populations should increase their population (Australia, Canada), while many overpopulated emerging nations should take measures to lower the population.

Globalization: I think we are headed for a time with less of a global emphasis in some ways. Oil prices have a huge impact on transportation costs, this could result in people traveling less and buying more local food.

Climate change: Is a very bad thing, I think we need to end our dependency on oil fairly quickly and start using nuclear and other cleaner energy sources. I also heard that there are actually temporary solutions to climate change that we should consider, such as putting a sulfur compound in the atmosphere to reflect more light.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Last edited by greatone_12 at Jul 11, 2009,
I seriously have been meaning to read "the world is flat" for ages. Now there are two more books to read!
All countries should take a fish-bowl, put in names of all the worlds countries in it, draw 3 names, nuke those countries.

That would work.

Overpopulation will probably not happen. We'll find a way.
DeVillains!
Quote by Ylasto
All countries should take a fish-bowl, put in names of all the worlds countries in it, draw 3 names, nuke those countries.

That would work.

It already is happening. Granted, most western countries aren't overpopulated. However, overpopulation in one country affects every other country, and there are a lot of overpopulated countries.
Quote by MightyAl
Overpopulation is probably the biggest problem. If we nuke the sh*t out of enough places, it would solve overpopulation, and globalisation.

Yeah and the ensuing Nuclear Winter will cancel out Global Warming. Everybody wins!
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
Quote by Ylasto

That would work.

Look at nations such as India, China, Germany, ect. They are already experiencing the early effects of overpopulation.
Hot, flat, and crowded.

Is this book about boobs by any chance?

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
- Overpopulation is bad because it pushes the supply and demand cycle to its furthest limits, extracting every limited resource we have much faster than it needs to go. Overpopulation may also mean that past the basic needs, other resources such as education and transport may be in jeopardy. When a lot of people don't get their basic needs, they turn to violence.

-Globalization is great, but it's giving many more people around the world who want to live an American middle-class lifestyle. An American middle-class lifestyle entails to wasting a lot of energy. Energy that we can't afford to produce in that scale. A level playing field, though empowers everyone, is going to be our doom.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
We need to stop trying to feed the hungry if we want to stop overpopulation. In nature, when the population gets too big, deaths occur until the population is back to an acceptable size. Humans have said "Fuck you" to nature, and we now just keep producing more food to feed more people, despite the problems that it causes.