I would like any opinions on these two guitars, all the better if you own one.

Jackson DK2M

PRS SE Singlecut

Both of these are in a good price range of $650-$850 U.S.

Thanks in advance for the info.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
Well do want a floating bridge or not? If yes, then the Jackson. If no, then the PRS. Sound wise imo the jackson is better, but neither will sound good if your still palying on that 15r.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Either bridge will be fine. I plan on getting a new amp at the same time.

Thanks for the info on the Jackson. It seemed like it would be better, but I've never heard either one played.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
Last edited by bkmurff at Jul 11, 2009,
I actually like the stock pickups in the prs SE line. best chinese pickups I think. nothing amazing but its a great beginner guitar. buy it used and save $$$. everyone dumps them off when they have money to upgrade so there are a lot of good cheap low milage PRS SE's around. buy used and you wont lose as much money when you upgrade yourself. the jackson is cool too. depends on what you play and what you like in a guitar.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
TRYthem both and see what one you like better. you will be more satisfied if you choose the one you like better
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
definitely the Jackson. I have a PRS McCarty and Love it, but the SE is not even made by PRS, it's made by global instruments, and while they're not bad guitars by any means, the jackson will surpass it in every way.

EDIT: Plus the jackson comes with a hardcase by SKB, that's like a 150 dollar case.
Last edited by Chad11491 at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by Rocketface2112
TRYthem both and see what one you like better. you will be more satisfied if you choose the one you like better

+1
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
I haven't tried the Jackson but I've tried the PRS and I really like it, both the sound and the looks!
Either bridge won't be fine. I'm not trieing being pushy but with a floating bridge you have to have patience to down tune which could take half and hour just to drop ton d standard and even changing strings can be a hassle if don't know what your doing.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Go with the PRS! Much easier tuning system, looks a lot better and is better

THe jackson looks kinda cheap too ;<
Sorry for not being specific enough when I said either bridge would be fine. I know it's easier to keep a stop-tail in tune, but i don't mind working with a floating bridge. Tuning and string replacement are not a problem for me, I have plenty of time to make sure everything is correct before I play. I just play for my own satisfaction, not in a band or anything.
- Stephen F. Roberts
@gstacey1

You own a DK2M! Is there anything about it you don't like? Does it provide comfortable access to all the frets? What kind of music do you play, and how do the pick-ups sound?

How's that for a wall of questions!! Thanks for your help so far.
- Stephen F. Roberts
A lot of people posted about the dinky saying trem picking sounded weird on the higher registers.

Get it if you want.. but I'd be wary and try it out first.
Quote by bkmurff
@gstacey1

You own a DK2M! Is there anything about it you don't like? Does it provide comfortable access to all the frets? What kind of music do you play, and how do the pick-ups sound?

How's that for a wall of questions!! Thanks for your help so far.

Out of all my guitars I like it the best. It's better then my PRS SE Paul Allender (which is still a great guitar and imo it's 10x better then the other SEs i've played.). The last fret or two is tricky to reach on it but it's only rare that you would use them. With my dinky it's in drop d and I play some opeth and some other drop d stuf but i mainly use it to play LoG which is alot of songs. The jb is a great pickup probaly the best standard pickup used on production guitars imo. The jazz well... it lacks compared to the jb so i rarely use it.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Gh057
A lot of people posted about the dinky saying trem picking sounded weird on the higher registers.

Get it if you want.. but I'd be wary and try it out first.

thats a problem with some imports under $800. 24 fret just sounds kinda off. like my schecter just sounds thin and no sustain when I play up that high. could be the JB thats killing my shred. sounds awesome through a TS9 booster though.

EDIT: that jackson has a JB! thats why it sounds funny. lesson learned.
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Last edited by fullsailstudent at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by fullsailstudent
thats a problem with some imports under $800. 24 fret just sounds kinda off. like my schecter just sounds thin and no sustain when I play up that high. could be the JB thats killing my shred. sounds awesome through a TS9 booster though.

EDIT: that jackson has a JB! thats why it sounds funny. lesson learned.

;P At least I know I'm not the only one who thought about that.
I have a DK2M from 2008. I love it. The pickups sound great, the body's not too heavy, and it's very comfortable. The compound radius neck is very nice too, and fret access is a breeze. Only complaints is that it's a licensed Floyd and the sustain isn't very great, but then again, you're not spending a lot of money. IMO, very good guitar for a good price.

The PRS has a very comfortable feel as well, but I do have my complaints, but that's based on the fact that I play more metal and such. The toggle is in a very inconvenient spot (IMO), which I know isn't a big deal, but it does bug me. The neck is thicker than the Jackson, and the thing itself is significantly heavier, although the body wood is much nicer, and the PRS is a set-neck while the Jackson is bolt-on. The pickups are PRS, which are nice, but not as versatile which is my main complaint. The Jackson is sooooooooo much more versatile for different styles, and the Floyd is very nice, even though it is quite the hassle. I don't even use the trem. I just keep it for tuning convenience. Never goes out.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

TS, what style of music do you play?
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
I play classic rock atm (60's - 70's). I like learning solo riffs and some of the fun power chord rhythm stuff.
- Stephen F. Roberts
I dont think the SE has real PRS pickups but I could be wrong. and +1000 for the paul allender
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Like the other posters said try them both and choose the best guitar for you. I have a PRS SE Singlecut and really enjoy playing it. It is well made and sounds fine. Just choose which one you prefer as each person has their own preferences in guitars.
Quote by fullsailstudent
I dont think the SE has real PRS pickups but I could be wrong. and +1000 for the paul allender

it doesn't

IMO the jackson wins hands down, but that's just my preference. I love superstrat guitars, i feel that the DK2 is just as good as a USA jackson Dinky, and there's nothing wrong with a bolt on neck . I don't know why everyone's ragging on the JB, i have it in two of my guitars, and i like them more than my dimarzio's.
Thank to everyone for their input. I like the looks and specs (for the price range that is) of both guitars. I have the opportunity to try out a PRS Singlecut SE, but neither of my local shops has the Jackson DK2M. They have other Dinky's, but not that one.

I like getting opinions about the products from people who care (that's you guys!). Helps me see things I didn't think of.

Thanks again
- Stephen F. Roberts