Hello,
Im looking for a guitar with the Les Paul sound, unfortunately I dont have the budget to buy me an original Gibson. The fact that I heard a lot of the quality problems of the Epiphone Les Pauls, so I looked for alternatives and discovered the Washburn Idol Series.
I would like to ask if anyone could tell me about

1) the sound of these Washburn Guitars: has it caracteristics of a Les Paul sound?
2) Exist other models of Washburn guitars which have the Les Paul sound?
3) How is the quality of the Washburn guitars made in Asia? Are they (in general) better than the guitaras Epiphone produces in Asia?

Thanx
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*ahem*

1. It very well does. The mahogany body with maple cap is your standard LP wood. The PAF pickups (except for the HM Idol series) do quite a good job of resembling a Gibson, depending on the model.
2. The X50 Pro will sound like an LP, but a bit more metal-edged. Think Schecter tones.
3. They are quite good. The lowest end Idol (WI14) has by far much better quality than any sub$600 Epi I've played. You can read reviews of well, everyone loves it.

That said, if you're on a budget, I'd say the WI66 Pro is the best. For only £500, you get great quality, Seymour Duncans, Grover Tuners, Buzz Feiten nut, and solid wood. It plays like a USA Custom, and sounds like it as well.
superman is killing himself tonight
Ive played quite afew washburns and even own an amazing idol and i love it, its lighter than my les pauls but still plays like one, buzz feiten is an awesome feature and they sound like les pauls on steroids!!

Check out the nick catonese sig its no longer made made but its a proper heavy duty idol which feels like an older les paul custom but retains the playability of an idol guitar
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Thank you! Some me recommended the Ibanez ART300 as an alternative to Epiphone/Gibson. You agree?
Until now I didn`t have the chance to test a Washburn WI but a sound like a LP "on steriods" might be a little too much, I`ll play Rock but also Blues.
My idol does blues really well, give one a try because it has beaten and ibanez art guitar ive ever played if im honest and ive played 5 of them
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Parker Nitefly M
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Also dont know if you noticed mine has EMGs in it. But the buzz feiten tuning system is a godsend that you wont find on many other guitars
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Parker Nitefly M
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
I would agree that the Ibanez ART300 is a great alternative as well. But, I also think that the WI is better. The WI can handle more tones than the ART, I think.
About the WI being an LP on steroids...It somewhat is, but that's mainly due to the incredible versatility of the pickups. The pickups in the WI66 Pro for instance can go a lot heavier than Gibson PAF's, but they can still go just as clean.
superman is killing himself tonight
Get a tokai and buy some gibson pickups if you want a real LP sound.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Get a tokai and buy some gibson pickups if you want a real LP sound.

that does not make any sense at all. Can you back up your point or is it just oppinion.

If you have ever played an idol you would know that the build quality is amazing and it comes with an array of different pups like seymour duncans, emgs and randall etc.
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Parker Nitefly M
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Although I didn´t have the chance to try a Ibanez ART300 with my own hands and ears yet, I did "listen" to some youtube videos like this
The clean sound doesn´t impress me much, seems somwhat rare to me. But with the gain the guitar sounds just great, better than Slash´s Les Pauls on any Guns ´n´ Roses cd!
I don´t have any experience with active pickaup, does it have any real usefull advantages? I normally prefer not to rely on batteries, because these use to be empty when you need them most.
Unfortunately the guy in the video doesn´t tell what amp he uses.

The Washburn WI66pro sounds great clean, with the gain sounds more "heavy", perhaps too heavy for me. But I imagine that depends a lot on the amp used. Like in this video.

And for the Tokai and the "buy some Gibson pickups": First of all thank you for the advice, random_B-RAD. But I don´t understood the people who actually buy a new guitar just to reconstruct it with new pickups. A lot of people gave me this hint on the Epiphone Les Pauls, but if I invert about 600 bucks I exspect the product to work and to be up to some quality standards (never had a Epiphone guitar, but as I have read so far there seem to be a lot of problems with quality, so I not even give them a try because to me it´s an insult to sell products that expensive and not making sure, the stuff works properly. Well that´s my opinion, no offense to Epiphone users who are happy with their guitar).
Last edited by Pasado at Jul 13, 2009,
The point of the tokai is gibson pickups is with the Tokai you get a good les paul with amazing build quality. with the pickups you get the sound you would expect from a gibson les paul.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I heard a lot of good things about the Tokai guitars, but I live in Colombia and haven´t discovered a shop which sells Tokai.

Maybe I should admit that I´m no pro, so I don´t aspire to have a guitar which sounds 100% like a Les Paul but not having the budget to buy a Gibson. It seems to me that the fame of the LP and the brand "Gibson" is the main reason, why they sell them to such a high price, not the extraordinary quality. I love the sound, but I´m fine with a little "Less" Paul than a original Gibson.

But for interest: which Tokai guitar you would recomend?
I just got a Idol series guitar a few days ago and couldn't be happier. Huge improvement, but that is compared to my Squire. It's a cheaper model though, but I got alot of money off. It's the WI16 G12.

Picture:

I really like it. Some of the more expensive models probably sound even better.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Discoverred this video this guy treats the Gibson LP vs Washburn Idol Serie...
and he favours the Washburn.
Well, seems like he´s from Washburn, so that doesn´t count really..