Does it makes the finish around the hole become ugly or ruins it if a straplock hole is done with a hand drill? I mean, being careful and all, because if I order a body from Warmoth they won't do this holes, and I'm ordering it already painted and finished, so I'm going to make it with a hand drill, taking all the time and safety. Do you think it could ruin the finish around the hole?

Also another off topic question, why do most people seem to prefer to turn the D-Sonic pickup around, with the big magnet pointing to the bridge? How it changes the sound?
Thanks
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ in Lemon Drop
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Michael Kelly 1953 in Blue Jean Wash
-Yamaha C40M
Quote by RiksRiks
Does it makes the finish around the hole become ugly or ruins it if a straplock hole is done with a hand drill? I mean, being careful and all, because if I order a body from Warmoth they won't do this holes, and I'm ordering it already painted and finished, so I'm going to make it with a hand drill, taking all the time and safety. Do you think it could ruin the finish around the hole?

Also another off topic question, why do most people seem to prefer to turn the D-Sonic pickup around, with the big magnet pointing to the bridge? How it changes the sound?
Thanks

When you drill the strap lock holes, put a cross of masking tape over the area and mark where the hole will go on that. The tape will prevent the drill from skipping and scratching the guitar.

I am not sure what size hole you need, probably only small, in which case use a smaller drill first to pilot the hole, then use the correct size.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
I second the masking tape. It prevents the bit from skipping like Skeet said, and also I find it makes the lacquer/paint immediately around the hole less prone to crack or chip. Do the two step drilling like he said, pilot then final size.