Page 1 of 2
Is Guitar Hero More Popular Than Real Guitar? I know as many kids at school to play guitar hero as play real guitar.
depends on who you ask.
although, when i have been walking up to where we - a group with woodwind/brass + me on bass and a drummer - were playing i heard a few people saying "wow! guitar hero"
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Jul 11, 2009,
I wouldn't be surprised. I know more people who play vidjeo gamez than musical instruments. Guitar Hero falls under the vidjeo gamez category, so gamers and more likely to try it than musicians, hence making it more popular in general.
Dunno.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Who cares?

I play guitar hero on expert.
I play real guitar pretty well too. (About 2 years now)

They are different.
Well, let's look at it this way. A mass-marketed video game targeted at the general public versus an instrument. I'd say that it's balanced slightly more toward the video game.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by sadistic_monkey
No. A few teenagers play Guitar Hero, people of all ages, genders and races play guitar. There's no competition.

What, no Chinese people play Guitar Hero
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Yes, because, it's cheaper and easier.

i find guitar hero harder than real guitar. Im sure they could link guitar hero with real guitar, like you play normal guitar and play the video game at the same time.
Quote by SliceSlice
i find guitar hero harder than real guitar. Im sure they could link guitar hero with real guitar, like you play normal guitar and play the video game at the same time.

Lol how is it harder?
Quote by SlinkyBlue
^^^ win.
Generally all mainstream video games are more popular than any given music instrument.

Incidental playing Call of Duty 4 is more popular than joining the army and getting your head blown off for real. And playing NASCAR games is more popular then professional racing.

Games provide more immediate enjoyment and less commitment than doing things for real, hence even though in the long run real things might be more fulfilling. Anybody can play Guitar Hero but unless they are really interested in playing guitar they are not going to invest the time and effort in an actual instrument. This is true of pretty much all things; the guitar community just seems to take issue with it more for some reason.

I personally do not have a problem with Guitar Hero and I don't fully see why others do.
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Yes, because, it's easier.

Not totally true, while most of guitar hero is easier than real guitar there are parts that are harder in the game. (Such as the tapping solo to "One"). I also find it easier to play "Raining Blood" on the guitar than on the game.
Quote by blue_strat
What, no Chinese people play Guitar Hero

i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by SliceSlice

+1
Real guitar is far easier
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Lol how is it harder?

Probably because ive been playing guitar for 15 years i guess.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Not totally true, while most of guitar hero is easier than real guitar there are parts that are harder in the game. (Such as the tapping solo to "One"). I also find it easier to play "Raining Blood" on the guitar than on the game.

Okay I was misunderstood. I was referring to the countless amount of kids who buy the game to play Slow Ride on medium.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
^^^ win.
its easier than real guitar but there is no substitute for a real guitar. which should make guitar hero less popular.
Quote by SliceSlice
Probably because ive been playing guitar for 15 years i guess.

Exactly.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
^^^ win.
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Lol how is it harder?

Because guitar hero can be as hard as they want and still sound like music.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
The reason I think some people are making comments about certain guitar hero songs being harder is because of the poor representation in the game. For instance, the open strings in the song "BYOB" are represented by green notes, which makes the otherwise easy riff extremely difficult to play due to the necessity of actually fretting those notes and jumping back and forth quickly.

The irrationality of the HO/PO system in the game also makes some parts, such as the tapping solo in One as mentioned, unreasonably difficult. I have seen a lot of people who can play that solo but never anyone in person who could hit even 80% of the notes in Guitar Hero.

That said I have played Guitar Hero with the regular 360 controller and found it to be much more fun and challenging!
Prolly, I play both but alot of people don't have the patience to play anything more than five colored buttons and a plastic bar.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Quote by Disgruntled Gnu
Generally all mainstream video games are more popular than any given music instrument.

Incidental playing Call of Duty 4 is more popular than joining the army and getting your head blown off for real. And playing NASCAR games is more popular then professional racing.

Games provide more immediate enjoyment and less commitment than doing things for real, hence even though in the long run real things might be more fulfilling. Anybody can play Guitar Hero but unless they are really interested in playing guitar they are not going to invest the time and effort in an actual instrument. This is true of pretty much all things; the guitar community just seems to take issue with it more for some reason.

I personally do not have a problem with Guitar Hero and I don't fully see why others do.

+1 to this.

An interesting point though; if someone was asked 'would you rather be great at Guitar Hero or great at guitar?', I would expect more people to say the instrument. So maybe playing guitar is more respected, which actually isn't that surprising.
real guitar is much better and everything but loads more people play guitar hero then play guitar

i do both to a epic standard

still cant beat dragonforce on expert though

Quote by SliceSlice

How the hell is guitar hero harder than real guitar if you can learn sweeping solos within a week?

Plus, there is no concept of timing involved.
Quote by ShadesOfNight
+1

I haven't played Guitar Hero, so I can't really compare, but why does it typically take a couple of months to finish a video game, but at least a few years to get your guitar skillz up to the level that you can play all the same songs on a real guitar?

This is an honest question.
Quote by metal_al73

still cant beat dragonforce on expert though

anyone that can needs to go outside
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Of course. When's the last time you saw a commercial on TV for GC having a sale? Not me, but I always see commercials whenever an upcoming Guitar Hero game is coming about.

I really don't give two chitz about it, I've learned to ignore the 'tards that call GH harder than the real thing. The only thing that annoys me is that it's considered a music game, yet not only do they put the STUPIDEST songs on there, but all you're hearing is clinkity clank boom pow YOU ROCK!

I'm glad it's having the life drained out of it, the world was so much better without Guitar Hero...
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
Quote by acidhendrix
Prolly, I play both but alot of people don't have the patience to play anything more than five colored buttons and a plastic bar.

so true.

I play both, guitar hero is... just different. It can't really be harder or easier, because it's totally different.
I dunno, it kinda gets more people into better music I guess...

My 7 year-old cousin asked me if I liked Slayer. He's been playing guitar hero recently
I'd say it's more popular among your standard young guys than regular guitar. But, it doesn't bother me, it's just a fun rhythm game.
You guys might be surprised. Most of the hardcore players of the game play real instruments. (Such as the top drummers on scorehero). The singing is really hard, it will teach you a bit of voice control as drumming will rhythm.

I find this as a good example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxnowE1kXKc
Quote by acidhendrix

yeah

Sometimes I play Instant Gratification Hero every now and then for the rhythm game aspect of it, but it's so crappy compared to something like DDR or Beatmania because those games require a sense of... rhythm. Plus, the hammer on/pull off brokenness of IGH makes me feel inadequate in my HO/POing on the real thing.

It's just sad that people take it so seriously. I find real guitar to be much more satisfying anyway, because the soundtrack is better
Last edited by Quam Celerrime at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by ShadesOfNight
+1

No, when you're playing some retarded shredding solo on guitar hero it's just a bunch of ****ing hammer on pull off messes that you use within 5 ****ing buttons where the guitar is all over the place in which you actually have to pick most of the time. The only relation I have ever seen between guitar hero and real guitar is on Raining blood it's the same pattern on the E string as it is with the buttons, other then that to play the guitar properly is way harder.
God, so much idiocy on UG today.
Page 1 of 2