I have a bugera 6262..i really do not want too much volume because its for studio recordings, but am i more likely to blow a 1x12? Also i was thinking 2 different types of speakers would give a nice tonal combo.

What other advantages and disadvantages are there?
if its for recording, i would go with one speaker. simply because your only going to mic one speaker anyway.
but its nice to have 2x12s if you want to gig. not much difference in volume, but feels a bit different.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
im always of mixed mind on this one. part of me thinks that the 2x12 is going to give you a bit more options tone wise since you can pick two different speakers. plus it is going to sound different and be easier to find speakers that will handle the load.

however, as chea said, most people will really only mic one speaker when recording. i sometimes far mic my amp, but a lot of the time the tried and true sm-57 right by a speaker is the best option. for that kind of thing, a 1x12 is going to be a better option.

so it really becomes, is the amp only for recording and how do you plan on recording? i would go with the 2x12 just for some of the added benefits, and then work my recording plan around that.
For strictly recording, the 1x12 will probably work well, but you're going to be limited on speaker options.

For just jamming though, the 2x12 will sound a lot better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Speakers are rated similar to amps. They might be rated at 70W, but they can typically handle about twice that before breaking. It has to do with the fact that it can send the rated power through clean (with out clipping or flapping), however, a lot of people will have a load of speakers that are rated less than their amp because a little bit of speaker clipping adds a nice tone.

I recommend the 1x12 for recording purposes. However, the only difference is in the tonal response compared to a 2x12/4x12 is a less responsive bass end (which I suppose makes it seem quieter), but as far as the volume goes, it's not really going to change. You can pull the two outermost tubes and cut the wattage in half (although, that won't do much either).

Recording is a real fickle art because a lot of people say you should record with real small boutique amps because a mic will withstand it better, but those amps don't typically posses the qualities that a lot of people look for in their gigging rig. So then people find those real expensive mics to allow for high wattage recording....
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

i will not be gigging at all, and bass frequencies are no issue, because most people put way to much bass on their guitars as it is.

What i am worried about is blowing the speaker up.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Speakers are rated similar to amps. They might be rated at 70W, but they can typically handle about twice that before breaking. It has to do with the fact that it can send the rated power through clean (with out clipping or flapping), however, a lot of people will have a load of speakers that are rated less than their amp because a little bit of speaker clipping adds a nice tone.

I recommend the 1x12 for recording purposes. However, the only difference is in the tonal response compared to a 2x12/4x12 is a less responsive bass end (which I suppose makes it seem quieter), but as far as the volume goes, it's not really going to change. You can pull the two outermost tubes and cut the wattage in half (although, that won't do much either).

Recording is a real fickle art because a lot of people say you should record with real small boutique amps because a mic will withstand it better, but those amps don't typically posses the qualities that a lot of people look for in their gigging rig. So then people find those real expensive mics to allow for high wattage recording....

1. Yes, they are rated conservatively as amps can produce much more wattage than they are rated for. Running a cranked 50W amp through a 50W speaker is generally not recommended, as it can still blow the speaker. However, cranking a 50W tube amps is going to be loud as hell, so doing so isn't likely.

2. This is not why people use low wattage amps, at all. Any mic can "withstand" an amp just fine, as long as the recording interface you're using isn't ****. The reason people use low wattage amps is to get power tube saturation at low volumes, cranking a 100W stack in a studio is not practical at all. However, most bands that play metal will use high wattage amps in the studio because a lot of power tube saturation is not a desired tone as it can make the amp sound more loose. Modern high gain amps are designed in high wattages to allow for a lot of headroom, making use of the preamp section instead.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Witha 2x12 you can mix and match speakers, but If your not picky, I'd go with the 1x12. Like everyone else has said, it would be better for recording. But if you're worried about how cool you look at gigs, go with a 2x12 it won't really add that much more volume. Plus if you get a closed-back 1x12, it could probably get decently loud (I think? open-back will let the sound spread out, whereas a closed-back pushes all the sound through the front... that's what I've heard at least)
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Witha 2x12 you can mix and match speakers, but If your not picky, I'd go with the 1x12. Like everyone else has said, it would be better for recording. But if you're worried about how cool you look at gigs, go with a 2x12 it won't really add that much more volume. Plus if you get a closed-back 1x12, it could probably get decently loud (I think? open-back will let the sound spread out, whereas a closed-back pushes all the sound through the front... that's what I've heard at least)

im picky as hell but i could also get 2 1x12s. I will not be gigging at all thats for sure. im just a bedroom gear freak
Quote by SliceSlice
im picky as hell but i could also get 2 1x12s. I will not be gigging at all thats for sure. im just a bedroom gear freak

That's what I'd rather do than a 2x12... 2 1x12s stacked look more intimidating than just a 2x12 laying horizontally

except I'm guessing your gonna put a different speaker in each one?