I bought D standard strings. Is it okay, if I play them mostly in drop D and do some songs in E standard and in drop B? Will it handle all the tuning? Thanks!
In E they will be very tight and in drop B they will be very loose, that's about all there is to it.

It will also not be good for your neck.
Quote by webbtje
In E they will be very tight and in drop B they will be very loose, that's about all there is to it.

It will also not be good for your neck.

only if he keeps it in the higher or lower tuning for too long.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I have 52-10 on my 25.5" scale guitar and I can get the lowest string up to G with everything else in standard. The G is scary tight, but just because I'm unemployed (for a 16 yo without a job 1$ for a string is kind of costly) but the strings in standard are fine. Normally I keep it in D standard or Drop C, it probably would do drop B fine, but it would be too flubby for me.
btw if you already have the strings you might as well just do it and see for your self, nothing beats first hand experience.
I have .013 to .056 on my guitar. I keep it in E standard. It's fine. After I made the initial truss rod adjustment (Which WAS needed), the neck stabalized. It plays like a dream.
superman is killing himself tonight
I have 13 to 60 strings. I'm worried about the constant retuning. We normally play in drop D and one song in E standard, so that's just one string that needs tuning. But I was thinking of playing one song in drop B also, which means tuning the whole thing to C# standard.
Last edited by Amarant at Jul 12, 2009,
This is why you have multiple guitars. Having one guitar with random strings being constantly tortured between various tunings isn't good, unless you fancy adjusting your truss rod every time you re-tune (which still isn't good for the neck and also isn't something most U-Gers should be doing anyway since it's rare for anyone on here to even know what the truss rod does or how to adjust it properly).

Work out what your most common tuning is, set your guitar up for that and stick with it. If you use other tunings that often, buy a second guitar to keep in your other tuning.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Alright, thanks! I won't tune it down to drop B then, but will my usual tunings drop D and E standard work?
Not with strings that thick.

You could go for a heavy top, light bottom set of strings in case you don't like a floppy Low D.

Edit: http://www.ernieball.com/products/category-916-Nickel-Wound#/product/Skinny-Top-Heavy-Bottom-Nickel-Wound-010---052-Red-pack

Something like those. They'll probably suit you the best.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by druggietoad2k5
Not with strings that thick.

You could go for a heavy top, light bottom set of strings in case you don't like a floppy Low D.

do you mean Skinny top, heavy bottom?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
do you mean Skinny top, heavy bottom?

My bad, I do.

It's late here. But yeah, something like those would probably be good for you. Other than that, I wouldn't go thicker than 12's if you're playing exclusively in standard. I have 12's and they're pretty much unbendable unless you're strong. They're pretty tight too.

Whatever happens, if you go for a major string gauge change, get it set up. It'll throw it out of whack otherwise.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice