Hiya,

So I finally decided to make the switch to bass after about 2 years of not touching my guitars at all. I'm selling most of my gear and half of the money will be used towards a bass and an amp. I've almost settled on an amp (Line 6 lowdown 110 studio) but now I'm just looking for a bass guitar that will last me a -long- time. I want a bass that I won't out grow per sé for atleast a few years.

So I whent over to the music store today (Dirk Witte in Holland) and tested a few basses. My prace range is around 600 euros (bit less than $700). I played an Ibanez BTB 775 5 string, and at first I thought ''yea this is something I could get into'', but I thought it sounded too ''loud'', there wasnt a lot of subtlety in it.

Then my opinion completely changed when I played a mexican Fender Jazz bass. I loved the feel and the sound (just hated the looks but oh well), but I'm thinking for my style of music it might end up not being loud enough. My ideal bass sound would be something along the lines of Mastodon these days, which sounds subtle but still has a big presence.

Can anyone recommend me a bass along the lines of 600 euros, preferably something with a rounder neck. Also, I don't really mind if its 5 strings or 4 strings, I don't really know what would be best to use (keeping in mind the ''I dont want to outgrow my bass'' mentality).

Thanks in advance!

JaeSwift~
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
the fender precision is always a good choice. it's one of the best and most versatile basses out there.
for a bass, get an ibanez or a schechter. please dont buy the line 6... from what ive heard, youll regret it
Quote by Spaz91
Mexixan Fender Standard P or J + Kustom KBA100x

this guy knows his gear. probably the best value bass guitars and amps available. you should try them out.
Quote by JayLacelle
this guy knows his gear. probably the best value bass guitars and amps available. you should try them out.

Kustom is literally not available in any of the music stores I know =_=
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
well what do they stock besides Kustom?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by JaeSwift
Kustom is literally not available in any of the music stores I know =_=

Seeing as there are no setup issues with amps its much less risky to order online.
Quote by the humanity
well what do they stock besides Kustom?

Line 6, SVT, Peavey, Hughes & Kettner. Those are the only ones I know off hand. Maybe some Hartke's too.

Is the line 6 really that bad? =p
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
I wouldnt use line6 for live shows, but just for practice should be alright. Hartke is a good amp brand to look at. Their new hydrive line is pretty great.
Basswise I would really consider a used warwick corvette. Check out some videos on youtube. They have a great feel, though some arent quite partial to it, and their tone is amazing. They have a very growly sound and are really great for metal.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by c3powil
I wouldnt use line6 for live shows, but just for practice should be alright. Hartke is a good amp brand to look at. Their new hydrive line is pretty great.
Basswise I would really consider a used warwick corvette. Check out some videos on youtube. They have a great feel, though some arent quite partial to it, and their tone is amazing. They have a very growly sound and are really great for metal.

That's the thing, I want a bass that has a more smoothe sound (ala Mastodon) more so than a growly growly thumpy low end one. The problem is, the only one that matches that specification thus far for me is the J bass, and I find it's output (I guess thats what it is?) a bit too lacking for metal. I need something a tad louder but not as loud as the bartolini mk's.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
A Jazz bass is always Useable in any situation. If in doubt go fender theyve never let me down, or if in even more doubt go leo, if you get me. There well rounded and will suit anything.
The line 6 stuff isnt bad, i didnt mind it, and it will do, not the loudest though. Hartke is better though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by JaeSwift
That's the thing, I want a bass that has a more smoothe sound (ala Mastodon) more so than a growly growly thumpy low end one. The problem is, the only one that matches that specification thus far for me is the J bass, and I find it's output (I guess thats what it is?) a bit too lacking for metal. I need something a tad louder but not as loud as the bartolini mk's.

i'm confused, can't you just turn up the volume?
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by JaeSwift

try out the mim deluxe jazz with the active pups. That might have enough output and the bass's eq is more vesitile I think.

You can also try eq'ing whatever amp you get to suite whatever tone you want. Your amp usually has a bigger influence on your tone than your bass.
no sig for joo
Out of curiosity:

I'm trying to find a bass guitar similair to the Fender J bass in playability and sound. I.e I want a rounder, thin ish neck. The reason I'm saying this is that even though I do know Fender stands for quality (I know this from there guitars) and there just great instruments, I can't get over how much I dislike the looks =_= I know, it's an aesthetic thing but it's just been bugging me.

Does anyone have a clue if there are bass guitars similair to them in just about everything but looks? I don't need a warlock or a flying v or any of that extreme ****e, but something a bit less...Fender like I guess would be awesome.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Ibanez SRX? They were recommended to me by a friend but I havent had the chance to try them out.

EDIT:

Quote by capslockisnton
i'm confused, can't you just turn up the volume?

Lol, you just made me realise something, I said ''Louder'' but I meant ''Beefier/Thicker''.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Last edited by JaeSwift at Jul 11, 2009,
To be honest I dont know why Ibanez's havnt been suggested yet. Quite a few people on here like the SR series, and quite a few will probably recommend the SR500.
I dont know a lot about Ibanez's though, although I do know that the SRX series is the same beastie just with higher-output pickups.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
Peavey for the amp.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by JaeSwift
Also, does anyone have any experience with the Ibanez SRX? They were recommended to me by a friend but I havent had the chance to try them out.

My main bass is and SRX. I love her to death! She's versitile, comfortable and sexy.

The pup's are alot "beefier" than the jazz but you can dial in a bunch of tones just by twidiling with the konbs on the bass itself.

I'll second any recomendation for and SRX bass
no sig for joo
Quote by the humanity
Peavey for the amp.

Agreed. I love peavey amps myself. you pay a bit more per watt than some brands but they last FOREVER! seriously. I never hear of stories of peavey amps breaking down. i've only broken one but that was totally my fault. it lasted longer than it should considering how i had it set up...i ran a preamp out of another peavey into the regular input...ya, don't do that.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
How are the PEavey max 110/115's and the Ashdown (perfect 10/15) combo's?

Also, I've been hearing a lot of positive stuff about Spector's. I found a store that carries the legend 4 and legend 5 bass guitars. Would these suit my taste or not? I'm a bit iffy on the EMG-Hz pickups, and the store is quite far away hence me asking =p.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Quote by JaeSwift
How are the PEavey max 110/115's and the Ashdown (perfect 10/15) combo's?

Also, I've been hearing a lot of positive stuff about Spector's. I found a store that carries the legend 4 and legend 5 bass guitars. Would these suit my taste or not? I'm a bit iffy on the EMG-Hz pickups, and the store is quite far away hence me asking =p.

good! go for em!!!

I don't like them myself- but if you want a subtler sound than a Bartolini but with the same kinda sound, it can achieve that. what they won't tell you at the store is they sound terrible with dead strings, but, they sound really good if you keep maybe some steel or coated strings on them, which last a long time before dying.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Laguna basses are not bad, only 500 dollars.
COLOURFUL SIGNATURE

compliment from fellow UGer
Wait more, "Intermediate" basses are gimmicks, there are entry level basses and Gigging professional basses. If you start to analyze what constitutes an intermediate bass you'll notice it's ridiculous.
Quote by Revelation
I never hear of stories of peavey amps breaking down..

you've obviously never heard my Valveking stories then..
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.