please excuse my noobish ways when it comes to amps however i have to figure this out. i know that tube amps have more power with less watts while solid state amps have less power with the same amount of watts. is there some way to compare them?

reason being that my friend has a fender tube amp (not sure which one) and he says it is like 100-120 watts. i can't find one this high so maybe he is either mistaken or has compinsated for the fact that it is a tube amp.
i doubt very much that he's mistaken.

the way i usually estimate it (probably a large margin of error) is solid state watts is approximately 1/3 the volume of a valve amp with the same wattage.

(note that it is the VOLUME that is different, not the POWER, as wattage is a measurement of power, so valve amps have the same volume as ss with less power).
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Quote by acdcrocks0323
He is probably mistaken. THe highest watt fender tube amp I know of is the Twin Reverb and that is 85 watts.

the Fender "The Twin" is 100W switchable to 25W.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
They make bassman 100s, the evh 5150 has 120 watts I think. One of the reverb amps is 135 watts.

As far as loudness goes, it depends on the individual amp. Wattage is a poor measurement of volume in general, even when comparing tube to tube, or SS to SS.

Edit:^No, it's because tube amps produce more harmonics, making them sound louder to our ears. If you measured with with a decibel meter you'd find that tube amps and ss amps that produce exactly the same amount of power would be equally as loud.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by phat104u
The Ibanez is actually pretty nice. I'd steer clear of Ovation, but this is preference - lots of people love their Ovations (though I'm still trying to understand why). Consider a Takamine as well. If you go with a Tak, know that you will want to lower the action on it since you're used to electrics. On my Tak, (EG440C) it proved to be a bit more of a challenge. The bridge pickups Takamine uses are kinda funky, in that the bridge actually fits INTO the pickup. Most Taks have shims underneath the pickup, but, in my case, the one shim under there did not drop the action noticably.

Long story short, I took out the Takamine pickup, and replaced it with a Fishman pickup, keeping the original Takamine onboard electronics. The action is nice and low, but the setup still allows for Drop C tunings without a problem; and the Fishman pickup is wonderfully clear. As a matter of fact, the Tak pickup seemed to clip on the treble side.

Blasphemy?
tube amplification tends to have a larger frequency range, so it has a higher perceived "loudness". In addition solid state amps tend to sound like **** when cranked higher due to undesirable clipping. Tube amps tend to sound better at higher volume ranges of the amplifier.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
It's all in how watts are measured. Usually, they're measured at a % THD (total harmonic distortion). 1% would mean that the signal is 99% original and 1% screwed up.

Solid state devices (usually) clip HARD...so, they get to a point, clip, that's all she wrote. If you measure watts at 1% THD, you might go from 100 watts to 101 watts as you max it out because there's no where for it to go.

Tubes on the other hand distort soft, meaning that you get to 1% THD, measure the wattage...and then crank it up and THD smoothly increases, so you can get more power.

So, say you compare two amps, one SS and one tube, and measure the wattage at 1% THD. The SS will actually be able to put out 101 watts, whereas the tube will be more like 150-200 watts.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial