I love the sound of these, but would they work for hard rock or even some lighter thrash stuff? I know medium output pups can handle this if the rig has enough gain, but I've never specifically tried PAFs before.

I ask because I'm converting the chrome hardware on my LP to gold and if I'm going to swap pickup covers for $50 I might as well upgrade to better ones with gold covers already on them instead.

Thoughts?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
EVH used pafs, his sound is pretty hard rock to me.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I've always heard that EVH had his PAFs rewound. But bubb_tubbs, if were you, for what you're looking for, I would look more at Wolfe's Marshall head Mk IIs. The Dr. V might be a little tame for what you're looking for.

Another similar option would be the WCR Darkbursts.
Quote by al112987
I've always heard that EVH had his PAFs rewound. But bubb_tubbs, if were you, for what you're looking for, I would look more at Wolfe's Marshall head Mk IIs. The Dr. V might be a little tame for what you're looking for.

Another similar option would be the WCR Darkbursts.

The thing is I'm mostly playing classic/hard rock, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to thicken it up for the occasional Metallica song.

Still think the other pickups are a better option?

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
It depends, I like the Dr. Vs and I've never tried the Marshall heads but a lot of the guys on the LPF like them. The Dr. Vs are not medium output though, they're low output, even by PAF standards. The Marshallheads are like a hotter wound, '59 PAF, and the Mk II is a slightly underwound Marshallhead. They would all work for what hard rock and classic rock, they're still PAF replicas. I'd definitely ask Wolfe. Also, I've found that WCR Crossroads sound a lot like the Dr. Vs but with a little more output, a bit more bark. But in terms of things like clarity, articulation, WCRs have really got something going on, they're big, fat, articulate, and incredible musical. They're a little more expensive though. The WCR Darkburst is probably more similar to the Marshallhead, I'd take a look at those as well. But I can say this, Wolfe is having a 20% off thing right now, so you can get a set of great handwound pickups for a great price, the WCRs are $275.

edit:

I think the biggest benefit that something like the WCRs, or Marshallheads would give you is that they're alnico V, which is really where you get that late PAF/early patent number tone ala Clapton or Page. More bite, stiffer attack, if that's what you want. A2 based PAFs like the Dr. Vs have a softer, spongier feel but with it has this wonderful note bloom, and some rolled off high end (not that the Dr. Vs aren't bright, because they are really bright, and you MAY find them a little bit thin, which may or may not be what you're looking for)
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 11, 2009,
I just fired off an email to Wolfe detailing my requirements and rig. I'll let you know what he says.

Yeah, asking Wolfe is a good idea, I'd also ask at the LPF as well, that's really the best place on the net to get real, unbiased advice about these things

(I mean, a group of les paul enthusiasts who actually have enough money to go and own several different sets of expensive handwound PAF pickups)
Is that mylespaul forums or lespaulforum?

I'm a member of both.

God dammit. With the talk of Marshallheads, now I'm about to order a set of Marshallheads...