hey guys i have been playing for a little over a year, and is probably an early intermediate on the scale

now i have been playing the same old rock for a long time and starting to find it a little repetitive.

now i do like the sound of the genre "metal" i love the sound of the guitars and looks great fun to play.

but now i would like some guidance on where to start, eg. what songs should i start listening to (due to knowing barely any :P) also what dvd's or videos on the internet i should i watch? would be very grateful of many links to find some tutorials etc. so yes very new to all of it and would be very grateful with your feedback

thanks
learn to play paranoid by black sabbath its a nice song to start, not verry difficult exept for the solo
Höhner llx100g
Gibson explorer
crappy stagg acoustic
Roland dac80d
marshall jcm 900 sl-x 2500
marshall 1960A
ehx metal-muff
jimmy hendrix wah
In Flames got pretty cool stuff, not super easy but I don't know how good you are

Also Killswitch Engage is like the "classis" metalcore band and a lot of people are wild about them. I'm not that much of a fan though.

I'm a big fan of Lamb of God but that's HAAAAARD
It depends on what type of metal you like like early heavy metal or modern death metal and metalcore. What metal bands do you like in particular?
seek and destroy by metallica is pretty nice to the only hard part is the solo
Höhner llx100g
Gibson explorer
crappy stagg acoustic
Roland dac80d
marshall jcm 900 sl-x 2500
marshall 1960A
ehx metal-muff
jimmy hendrix wah
As I Lay Dying (Confined, Through Struggle, Forever)
Metallica (One, Sanitarium, Nothing Else Matters)
Bullet For My Valentine (the entire Poison album has easy fingering and generally fun songs to play)
Amon Amarth
Mudvayne (more rock/punk inspired riffs)
Trivium (Like light to the flies, down from the sky)

Most of them have easy fingering and are accessible to a complete beginner, eventho you might not be able to play all at full speed.

Quote by Jimibendix
In Flames got pretty cool stuff, not super easy but I don't know how good you are

Also Killswitch Engage is like the "classis" metalcore band and a lot of people are wild about them. I'm not that much of a fan though.

I'm a big fan of Lamb of God but that's HAAAAARD

Quite, In Flames have a few somewhat easy songs (F(r)iend, Only For The Weak, System) but avoid the latest album (considering it's absolute pop garbage and the guitar parts are the most advanced, compared to older albums).

First two KSE albums are relatively easy to play (also their best), so would be best to start there.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Last edited by lokster at Jul 11, 2009,
imo, KSE has never had a good album..

Try some Lamb of god. Weird rhythms, easy stuff to play.

The odd solo in there every now and then might kill you though.

Mark Morton doesn't **** around.
metallica- the unforgiven, master of puppets, for whom the bell tolls
most black sabbath songs, espcially the song Black Sabbath
slayer- raining blood(its easier than it sounds)
maybe seven by necrophagist, most of their songs are pretty tough, but fun.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
thanks guys would any of you have any links to where i can maybe find some free lessons?

thanks for the feedback
Quote by Gh057
imo, KSE has never had a good album..

Try some Lamb of god. Weird rhythms, easy stuff to play.

The odd solo in there every now and then might kill you though.

Mark Morton doesn't **** around.

Mark Morton is the BEST! And chris adler ^^ but that's offtopic(drums)

I wouldn't say that Lamb of God is easy to play though, especially not new stuff(Sacrament and Wrath, Ashes is bob bob). Atleast not for someone who has played for alittle more than a year, but it's awesome music, should try it anyway :>
To all the LoG praise

Anyways person saying it's hard, it isn't that hard at all. You just need the ability to realy keep your hands in sync with each other was there stuff is easy. TS i'd look into Sabbath mainly because it's got all the rock roots. Some other metal you might like is some metallica. Modern metal is alot differnt, if you want the early stuff stick with thrash bands.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Opeth (Blackwater Park is a great start, Master's Apprentices isn't too hard either)
Megadeth (Killing Is My Business... ...And Business Is Good!, and plenty of other stuff)
Bathory (Sudden Death is fun and thrashy, but most Bathory is great)
Motorhead (Ace of Spades is the classic hit and has a great solo for beginners, but Iron Fist, Overkill, Another Perfect Day, White Line Fever are great starting points too)
Black Sabbath (Fairies Wear Boots, A National Acrobat, Planet Caravan, Children of the Sea, Zero The Hero, Heaven and Hell, Computer God, **** Paranoid, ****ty title track on a relatively good album)

That's a start.
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Schecter Devil (C# Standard)
Peavey Butcher (late 80s, 120 watt)
Traynor 4x12
Earthbound Audio Supercollider fuzz
H&K Warp Factor distortion
Metallica is an excellence place to start with. Most of their songs are very fun to play. Not to mention many of them are quite easy.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Jul 11, 2009,
Some Behemoth songs off Demigod are pretty easy (Conquer All), especially if you want to get better at palm muting.
Amon Amarth have some real easy songs too
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
I'm suprised no one recommended Pantera...

Also, Killswitch is a pretty cool band, and it's not too overly technical..

All That Remains is pretty sweet too..

Bullet has some really cool sounding, but easy songs..

Lamb of God is like ...god?

Slayer and Metallica are pretty good too.
Check out the Kill 'em All thru Master of Puppets albums. Some great tracks that is a great introduction to metal IMO. There are a couple good songs on their ...And Justice For All album too, but the aforementioned albums are more thrashy.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!