I have a few questions about playing cleanly.
- Whenever i play a melody, at least one time during that melody i hit a string either below or above what i play, and it makes a horrible sound. What kind of muting should i apply here?
- Sometimes i put my finger on the wrong side of the fret, which makes it sound out of tune or muted. What side of the fret should my finger be on? Middle, right, or left?
- My pull-offs sound lower in volume than my hammer-ons. Although not by that much. How do i fix that?

P.S: Any other tips for getting a cleaner sound out of a guitar?
1.- just practice. that's muscle memory. try playing things slower, at a speed where you play perfectly, and gradually increase the speed. get a metronome.
2.- I place if on the right (nearer to the birdge), because on the left there's fret buzz. Sometimes my finger goes in the middle. Actually, just make shure you dont place your finger to the far left.
3.- Pull harder. Actually, you shouldnt be anoyed by this. Your amp alone should make them sound even.
4.- do execises. Like the 1234,4321. Play slower and use a metronome for your practicing. aslo, try to record yourself, even if it's just with your cell phone or a $10 microphone and your computer, this way you'll discover how you actually sound and what other things you need to fix.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jul 11, 2009,
For the first one search 'FreepowerUG' on youtube and watch his video on string muting but make sure you practice playing slower so that you avoid making mistakes as much as possible.
Quote by Poglia
You should mute all the strings that you are not playing.

I dont agree, it's joust personal preference. IMO You should only use muting when you are sweeping or doing string skips. because the string reatins vibration after you take your finger off really fast. That's how it works for me, so TS, try both ways, or make your own way of playing, like Marty Friedman.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Muting is useful but don't use it to cover up a lack of accuracey. For example playing power chords most people mute the strings above and below as needed which is normal. If you are playing individual strings muting is not a good idea as it stops you concentrating on your playing and accuracey.

Most of your problems are just down to practice and if you keep practicing to a good standard you will get there in the end.
Quote by ldnovelo

3.- Pull harder. Actually, you shouldnt be anoyed by this. Your amp alone should make them sound even.

Yes, but i play a lot on acoustic guitars. I want my legato to sound fluid on acoustic guitars, too.

Quote by aaciseric

For the first one search 'FreepowerUG' on youtube and watch his video on string muting but make sure you practice playing slower so that you avoid making mistakes as much as possible.

Thanks.

Quote by darkhorizon

Muting is useful but don't use it to cover up a lack of accuracey. For example playing power chords most people mute the strings above and below as needed which is normal. If you are playing individual strings muting is not a good idea as it stops you concentrating on your playing and accuracey.

Most of your problems are just down to practice and if you keep practicing to a good standard you will get there in the end.

Hmm.. good point. But it IS useful for making sure that the strings you've played on don't ring out after you've switched to another string.
Last edited by robinlint at Jul 11, 2009,