Hello guys, I'm having some trouble with alternate strumming using palm mute. I'm trying to play namely Beast and the Harlot and I can't do the open D notes fast enough using downpicking and I'm even slower when I alternate .

I also have some trouble with strumming fast chords namely in You're Gonna Go Far Kid by the offspring. What could I be doing wrong?
Quote by nev474
I'm even slower when I alternate

Formulate some alternate picking exercises and do them every day for 2 months, or just keep going.
Quote by nev474
What could I be doing wrong?

not practicing enough.

get yourself some sort of metronome and slowly increase the bpm, from a lower than comfortable speed, untill you can play what you want.

pick angle might also be hindering you somewhat if you are trying to play fast, slant it between 30 and 45 degrees so you dont get "caught up" in the strings. that is of course, if it was a hindrance in the first place.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
not practicing enough.

get yourself some sort of metronome and slowly increase the bpm, from a lower than comfortable speed, untill you can play what you want.

pick angle might also be hindering you somewhat if you are trying to play fast, slant it between 30 and 45 degrees so you dont get "caught up" in the strings. that is of course, if it was a hindrance in the first place.

Yes I find I am somewhat getting caught up in the strings when I palm mute. I'll try that. Thanks.