I'm planning to replace the bridge pickups on my strat, because IMHO they sound too thin and doesn't sustain very well.

I've done some research on the internet and I'm deciding whether to get a Seymour Duncan SH-4 or a Gibson Classic '57 Plus Humbucker. I've checked the cavity under the pickguard and it has room for humbuckers. Could anyone help me decide which one to get? How does each pickup sound compare to each other ? (the bass, mids, and treble) Which has better sustain? Which one is more suitable for my genres? I play jazz, fusion, blues, and rock (not heavy metal, just hard rock and progressive rock).

And most importantly, will they work on my strat? Because I've read some issues with the spacing type, especially with the Gibson pickups. I've read people saying that they've put '57 classics on their strat and it worked well, but I just want to be sure becase the '57 is a bit expensive..

And if anyone has other pickups to recommend, feel free to recommend them..

Any response would be appreciated. Thanks.
Quote by Rendy
I'm planning to replace the bridge pickups on my strat, because IMHO they sound too thin and doesn't sustain very well.

I've done some research on the internet and I'm deciding whether to get a Seymour Duncan SH-4 or a Gibson Classic '57 Plus Humbucker. I've checked the cavity under the pickguard and it has room for humbuckers. Could anyone help me decide which one to get? How does each pickup sound compare to each other ? (the bass, mids, and treble) Which has better sustain? Which one is more suitable for my genres? I play jazz, fusion, blues, and rock (not heavy metal, just hard rock and progressive rock).

And most importantly, will they work on my strat? Because I've read some issues with the spacing type, especially with the Gibson pickups. I've read people saying that they've put '57 classics on their strat and it worked well, but I just want to be sure becase the '57 is a bit expensive..

And if anyone has other pickups to recommend, feel free to recommend them..

Any response would be appreciated. Thanks.

As far as spacing goes your guitar has an F-Spaced bridge pickup in it now but you can use a regular spaced pickup and it'll sound fine but the strings and pole pieces on the pickup won't line up exactly right. Some people are picky and want the strings and pole pieces to line up but if that doesn't bother you a regular spaced pickup will work just fine.
Thanks for the reply!

But will the allignment of the strings and pole pieces affect the sound of the guitar?
No it'll sound fine. This is a quote from Invader Jim's ULTIMATE Guitar Wiring Thread.
Quote by Invader Jim
Do I have to have F-spaced pups for my trem bridge/Does pole-piece spacing make a difference?
For the first part of the question: No. Second part: Not really. I have a guitar with rails (Peavey Horizon), a guitar with properly spaced pups (Kaman GTX33), and a guitar whose pups don't really match at all. There's no difference in performance. None.
I see. Then I guess that takes care of the spacing issues.

Have you had any exprecience with the SD JB or the gibson '57 classic plus?
Last edited by Rendy at Jul 13, 2009,