Poll: Pickup or amp?
Poll Options
View poll results: Pickup or amp?
New Pickups
2 4%
New Amp
54 96%
Voters: 56.
Alright my basic setup for gigs is a Digitech RP350 through a Kustom acoustic amplifier. I've always used that and haven't really felt the need to get a real electric guitar amp. But the band I'm in is really starting to get serious with our music and have recently entered a national contest (http://www.countryshowdown.com/default.php) and have won the first level. My dad is starting to get on board with this whole thing and wants to help me buy an amp. But the thing is, I'm not sure if I want to buy a new amplifier. I mean, it would be good to get an actual electric guitar amplifier, but I'm happy with the one I have now. Maybe I'm not seeing the advantages of having a real electric amp, but I just don't feel the need to spend $300 on a Fender Super Champ. I would like, however, to install some new pickups in my guitar, something that has some bite to it, such as an Angus Young Signature Pickup. Right now all I have is the stock pickups in my Tradition s20 LP. They actually don't sound bad, but I'd like to have some commercial pickups. But all in all, do I even need any of this stuff? Would it be a wise choice to go with a new amp or a better choice to go with new pickups?

Help would be much appreciated.

What styles of music do you play????

In terms of amplifiers, I really like the Fender Super Champ XD, but it all depends on your styles of music. An amp would make a bigger impact on your sound than a pickup swap, yet the amp you have right now may already be pretty decent, i don't know.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
i would recommend and amp first. if it's bite you're looking for you won't get that through an acoustic amp. Having said that a superchamp won't be that much better than your current amp so you won't be getting that much more sound quality, just a different sound. It;s a tricky one, choosing between sound quality and sound. I would personally go for sound in this case though, you'll probably inevitably have to do both though.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by jc349

In terms of amplifiers, I really like the Fender Super Champ XD, but it all depends on your styles of music. An amp would make a bigger impact on your sound than a pickup swap, yet the amp you have right now may already be pretty decent, i don't know.

Southern rock, texas country, blues, that kind of thing.
An amp has more effect on tone and gain than the pickups. I'd say only replace the pickups if they are the wrong output for your style, or being bitches.
Buying new pickups won't give you much of a bite unless you have the right gear to allow it to do so. Acoustic amplifiers are bassy and mellow - the opposite to "bite". But with $300, the amp choices that are suitable for gigging and texas blues is pretty low. So the used market may be your best option. Are you willing to follow that route? If you don't feel comfortable with that, I really don't know what to suggest.
What is the most you're willing to spend on an amp? Because it's clear that you should get an amp before new pickups.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Amp. Pickups do affect the sound, but not as much as the amp. Mediocre pickups with a good amp will sound good, while good pickups through a mediocre amp will sound mediocre at best.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Amp.

The amp should always be the base of your sound. The guitar doesn't really affect your tone that much, so you shouldn't worry about switching pickups just quite yet.
Trust me, I've gone through about 3 or 4 different amps, and my tone has changed A LOT with each one... I;ve only once changed my pickups, but it didn't really change my tone too much.

A great amp can always make a mediocre guitar sound decent. So go for a new amp.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my very first amp was a tiny SS 10 watt acoustic amp. Once you get your first amp that's meant for an electric guitar, you'll realize what you've been missing out on.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jul 11, 2009,
New pickups aren't going to really do anything through that setup.

Get a new amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
New amp will nearly always have a greater impact on your tone than pickups will.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Well, like everyone said, get a new amp, no matter what picups you use, an acousticc amp will always sound sterile with an electric guitar
ALWAYS get a new amp before pickups

Right thread this time?!
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44

Right thread this time?!
What if you had a Framus Dragon or a Diezel VH4?
Quote by jc349

This is an incredible amp. I bought one last year as a bedroom amp but it made its way into my touring rig. It has many useable sounds and a very very nice clean tone. The only con with this amp is that it doesnt have a "Mid" knob.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by AngryGoldfish

Click here
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by JayT44

Right thread this time?!

How did you put this in that "what do i need" thread anyway? I don't see how that could've happened
Quote by AngryGoldfish

Then I'd sell it and buy a 65amps monterey before I got new pickups.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
How did you put this in that "what do i need" thread anyway? I don't see how that could've happened

It wasn't an accident .... I couldn't control my Inner Pit-Monkey....
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by al112987
Then I'd sell it and buy a 65amps monterey before I got new pickups.
i've yet to try 65amps.