here it is:
i'm the main songwriter. second guitarist only really plays what he's told, and i sloppy. doesn't help to much contributing to coming up with his own parts and takes offense at any negative feedback to his singing and playing (even in a constructive criticism way).
only a couple problems. first is, he wrote a song that i think is amazing and love playing.
second, he's just about the only other guitarist i can find who wants to play this type of music (pop-punk and pop-rock).
now, i can without him rather easily, as i write mainly for one guitar. but, i need to find a way to kick him out nicely so we can still play the song he wrote.

any ideas?
i was thinking of trying to buy it off him...
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
tell him that he isnt for this band and he's off to better bigger things. and bust out a metallica and play that song the kicked member wrote
Quote by TasianSensation
here it is:
i'm the main songwriter. second guitarist only really plays what he's told, and i sloppy. doesn't help to much contributing to coming up with his own parts and takes offense at any negative feedback to his singing and playing (even in a constructive criticism way).
only a couple problems. first is, he wrote a song that i think is amazing and love playing.
second, he's just about the only other guitarist i can find who wants to play this type of music (pop-punk and pop-rock).
now, i can without him rather easily, as i write mainly for one guitar. but, i need to find a way to kick him out nicely so we can still play the song he wrote.

any ideas?
i was thinking of trying to buy it off him...

Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
just say that you're sorry but it's not working out as he isn't contributing and doesn't play at the standard you want, he should understand
let me know how it goes
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Quote by highlordmugfug

his ONE song that he wrote that consists of the three same chords over and over.... it is catchy though.
but other than that, he looks at me for what to play and doesn't vary it up at all. and if i ask him to try and come up with something, he just stares at me or starts singing and playing a weezer song.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Have you talked to it with the other members of your band? maybe you could tell hilm what you think and tell him that you dont mean anything bad

And that he should practice like **** this summer
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
Quote by TasianSensation
his ONE song that he wrote that consists of the three same chords over and over.... it is catchy though.
but other than that, he looks at me for what to play and doesn't vary it up at all. and if i ask him to try and come up with something, he just stares at me or starts singing and playing a weezer song.

Either way you look at it, he contributed something.

If it wasn't that much of a big thing(his song) why do you still want to play it when he is gone? Don't make something seem like nothing if it still value to you.
Quote by TasianSensation

If it's just three chords you don't need to buy it off him. You can't copywrite chords. However, it's gonna be a bit **** to kick him out and continue playing it. So just kick him out.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
If it's just three chords you don't need to buy it off him. You can't copywrite chords. However, it's gonna be a bit **** to kick him out and continue playing it. So just kick him out.

the real problem would be the melody and lyrics though

what to do about that?

EDIT:
it should be noted that he doesn't have a copy of the lyrics anymore.... the only version that is written out is on my computer... along with any recordings of it besides a ****ty youtube video
Call me Michael...

Mixing

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Last edited by TasianSensation at Jul 11, 2009,
How old are you guys?
And maybe I'd just start doing practices without him, and work your band up from there. I wouldn't do his song, just try to write new ones to replace his in the setlist
That would be a low act to steal that guys song. Don't do it. Are you going to let him take all your songs too?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Xhale1
tell him that he isnt for this band and he's off to better bigger things. and bust out a metallica and play that song the kicked member wrote

hahahaha, thats just cruel, but if you want to avoid legal problems by doing that copyright it so he cant do anything about it. altho that is insanely mean. i also would just ask him if you can have it instead of stealing it.
don't worry about sloppiness. Look at Kurt Cobain etc
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by herman ri2
Either way you look at it, he contributed something.

If it wasn't that much of a big thing(his song) why do you still want to play it when he is gone? Don't make something seem like nothing if it still value to you.

I've gotta go along with this. ^
Fair enough, you may not see eye to eye on some things, (I've never yet seen a partnership where both parties agree on everything) fair enough, his playing may be sloppy, but from you telling us that he simply plays what he's told to play, that raises a couple of points.
A) If he's playing what he's told to play, what's your problem with him? If his playing is at fault, isn't it your fault for telling him what to play in the first place?
B) Because he's happy to play what he's told, that would suggest that he either doesn't consider himself good enough to make regular contributions, or that he is new to it all and is simply still finding his feet. If it's the latter, then his sloppy playing should improve with time and practice, if it's the former, possibly helping him to gain a bit of confidence would help.

The fact that he has written one song obviously means that he would 'like' to contribute something, the fact that this one song is so good that you wish to keep it shows the great potential this guy has. Which raises another point.
If the guy has such great potential, why get rid of him?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 12, 2009,
As you said, it's only 3 chords. Just write another song with the same feel but different chords - "inspired by his" if your will. You shouldn't complain about not being able to play those three chords.
I am shocked that nobody wrote this before. That was one of the most disgusting things i've seen, read or heard, and i've been around. That is like backstabbing somebody and stealing his urn afterwards to replace the ashes with frickin' marshmellows. While the example i just wrote sounds frickin' funny, your thoughts does NOT.

If he wrote a good song that wow's you so much, perhaps he should have as much voice as yourself? If he wrote that great lyrics and melody to such a simple chord structure, make HIM the main songwriter! And no matter what you decide to do, you should not try to buy off his song OR steal it for that matter. Copyright or not. Just because you CAN **** in your girlfriends face when she is in a compromising position, it doesn't mean you should do it.

This guy contributed a whole song, play what you want him to play. And, if this little post is really a part of your thoughts, the reason he gets pissed about you giving your "Critique", is perhaps that you do this too much and often.

ANyway. don't steal from a bandmember and don't be a dick.

I wish you the worst of luck.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I've gotta go along with this. ^
Fair enough, you may not see eye to eye on some things, (I've never yet seen a partnership where both parties agree on everything) fair enough, his playing may be sloppy, but from you telling us that he simply plays what he's told to play, that raises a couple of points.
A) If he's playing what he's told to play, what's your problem with him? If his playing is at fault, isn't it your fault for telling him what to play in the first place?
B) Because he's happy to play what he's told, that would suggest that he either doesn't consider himself good enough to make regular contributions, or that he is new to it all and is simply still finding his feet. If it's the latter, then his sloppy playing should improve with time and practice, if it's the former, possibly helping him to gain a bit of confidence would help.

The fact that he has written one song obviously means that he would 'like' to contribute something, the fact that this one song is so good that you wish to keep it shows the great potential this guy has. Which raises another point.
If the guy has such great potential, why get rid of him?

Answer.

People don't know what they lost until it is gone.
Quote by TasianSensation
i need to find a way to kick him out...so we can still play the song he wrote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_one's_cake_and_eat_it_too
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Highwaytohell
Hey um, HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED
That not every member of every band contributes everything? Comon!

Ha, yeah.

But the only successful band that I've been in has everyone writing their own parts. Not saying it HAS to be this way, but its a lot smoother and everyone seems happier because they're playing something they want to play. We have a unique sound because of it. I draw my influence from some local bands that have a unique sound. Our other guitarist is influenced by Avenged Sevenfold and Haste the Day. Our bassist likes indie stuff like Death Cab for Cutie and our drummer likes everything.

Develop your own sound and you can do much better than a 3 chord pop punk song.
Quote by Souls United
Ha, yeah.

But the only successful band that I've been in has everyone writing their own parts. Not saying it HAS to be this way, but its a lot smoother and everyone seems happier because they're playing something they want to play. We have a unique sound because of it. I draw my influence from some local bands that have a unique sound. Our other guitarist is influenced by Avenged Sevenfold and Haste the Day. Our bassist likes indie stuff like Death Cab for Cutie and our drummer likes everything.

Develop your own sound and you can do much better than a 3 chord pop punk song.

My drummer writes his own beats, and my bassist concocts his own basslines. But they are based off the melody and the song that i've written. I dont see the problem with this guy. Does he not enjoy playing what he's told? My bassist refrains from writing other stuff because he enjoys what I write, and he feels like he's not at the level to present material to us. Is he complaining or what?
Quote by Highwaytohell
My drummer writes his own beats, and my bassist concocts his own basslines. But they are based off the melody and the song that i've written. I dont see the problem with this guy. Does he not enjoy playing what he's told? My bassist refrains from writing other stuff because he enjoys what I write, and he feels like he's not at the level to present material to us. Is he complaining or what?

Yeah, thats kinda what I meant. Someone will have an idea and everyone will write around it. Thats pretty much how writing a song works. He obviously wrote a song you like, it seems like he has contributed somewhat. I don't see what the issue is.

The sloppiness will most likely improve over time. Our other guitarist used to be quite sloppy. So bear with it for now and if it doesn't see if its too big of a problem to keep him in the band.
ok, you guys have successfully made me realize what an asshole move that is. i guess i was upset that he's so pushy about some things, such as refusing to let our singer sing his song and being a dick sometimes. i've decided to keep him in the band and give him some time to improve.

i forgot who said it, but on the topic of what he plays, i give him the option of making his own parts, but he refuses. and as for the sloppiness, he's been playing longer than i have, almost twice as long. but me and the bassist are working on figuring out a way to gently let him know that he should tighten his playing.

on another topic, what do you guys like as a band name better?
River Card Winner
or
Third Party Influence
Call me Michael...

Mixing

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Third Party influence soudns a little more sophisticated. River Card Winner sounds very indie band. I'd go with the first one
Quote by Highwaytohell
Third Party influence soudns a little more sophisticated. River Card Winner sounds very indie band. I'd go with the first one

Agreed.
Sit him down and talk to him about how you don't want to offend him and only try to criticise constructively.
***Short Sig***
River Card Winner sounds like the name of an album... Third Party Influence is quite cool.