At the moment, I do not have a bass amp. I do, however, have a speaker system. Now I know I can't run a bass through a guitar amp because the speaker isn't designed for the low frequencies, but could the speakers hold up?
Get a Carvin. Do it.
at very low volumes only
the amp its self will withstand bass frequencies but the speaker cant and open back guitar cabinets don't work very well with bass frequencies either.
Founding Member and President of UG Geezer Guild
Bass speakers have totaly different front and rear suspensions (surrounds) with a voice coil that is designed for the extra travel that Bass speakers need to do to reproduce bass frequencies.
The surrounds on Guitar (general purpose) speakers are not designed for long cone excursions, if they are subjected to bass frequencies then over a period of time the surrounds will soften allowing the speaker to continuously bottome and entualy fail.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I think he's saying he has a speaker system for something like a stereo or something like that.

These speakers would technically be considered full range speakers i believe. Thus it shouldn't damage them but they won't be able to handle as much as actual bass speakers would. I wouldn't suggest slap bass or turning it up too loud.

I also do not suggest trying this until somebody else backs me up because I'm not 100% sure.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
I think he's saying he has a speaker system for something like a stereo or something like that.

These speakers would technically be considered full range speakers i believe. Thus it shouldn't damage them but they won't be able to handle as much as actual bass speakers would. I wouldn't suggest slap bass or turning it up too loud.

I also do not suggest trying this until somebody else backs me up because I'm not 100% sure.

Hi-fi speakers tend to have soft rubber/PVC surrounds and are designed to work with pre-recorded music which is limited and compressed in the recording studio they are not designed for the peaks etc of live music especialy live Bass; although, sensible use and only sensible would be ok.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn