I was doing my daily lurking of my local craigslist when I came across this: http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1265124145.html

The pictures seem legit, but selling a 50's strat at that price seems fishy to me.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Firstly it's a 50th anniversary strat, not a 50s. I think they were made in 2004. That's a low price for that though, I don't know if they made a MIM version, there's also a Squier version.
Quote by aaronni
Firstly it's a 50th anniversary strat, not a 50s. I think they were made in 2004. That's a low price for that though, I don't know if they made a MIM version, there's also a Squier version.

I meant anniversary, I type really fast and sometimes I end up forgetting a word or two. And also I sent the seller an email asking for the serial number. Hopefully I get a fast response.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

In the picture of the back of the headstock, I think you should be able to see a serial number. But since you can't, I'm skeptical.
And if it is a Fender, judging by the truss rod cover/hole thing, it looks like a MIM.

Just some info I've gathered by looking at it.

EDIT: If it's a 50th anniversary then it was made in 96. Since my 06 Strat has a 60th anniversary button on it.
Which brings up another point, I'm not sure they would just put what appears to be a plain old sticker on it for the 50th anniversary.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Last edited by Vasser at Jul 11, 2009,
Price is way too low for a 50th Anniversary (only made in MIA.) Price should be $550 for a decent one and Deluxe's go for $800-1000. (They trade all the time on eBay.)
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Until I get a response from the seller that either has the serial number or a better quality picture of the back of the headstock, I'm assuming this is fake due to the very low price.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by jcoley2
Price is way too low for a 50th Anniversary (only made in MIA.) Price should be $550 for a decent one and Deluxe's go for $800-1000. (They trade all the time on eBay.)

So if it is a MIM, it might be like a 96 MIM that he just called a 50th anniversary. But that doesn't explain the button/sticker on the back of the headstock.

Oh and ask him to send a CLEAR PICTURE of the serial number as well as the serial number typed out. If he's extremely shady he'll just tell you a false one with no picture.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by Vasser
In the picture of the back of the headstock, I think you should be able to see a serial number. But since you can't, I'm skeptical.
And if it is a Fender, judging by the truss rod cover/hole thing, it looks like a MIM.

Just some info I've gathered by looking at it.

EDIT: If it's a 50th anniversary then it was made in 96. Since my 06 Strat has a 60th anniversary button on it.
Which brings up another point, I'm not sure they would just put what appears to be a plain old sticker on it for the 50th anniversary.

I've got a 50th Anniversary American Deluxe made in 2004. It's the 50th anniversary of the Stratocaster, yours is the 60th anniversary of Fender.
If its a 50th anniversary have him/her also send a picture of the neck plate on the back. The 50th were clearly inscribed with 50th logos on them. Check the Fender site for a picture.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by stratman7
I've got a 50th Anniversary American Deluxe made in 2004. It's the 50th anniversary of the Stratocaster, yours is the 60th anniversary of Fender.

Haha thanks for that. Easy mistake to make.
Quote by stevenpollock
From what I've looked up online, the Fender 50th Anniversary guitars came in gold or sunburst, however, the 50th anniversary of the Strat (2004) came in Sunburst. I saw one 40th anniversary of the Strat (1994) in black, but it had a weird stamp or something on the front of the headstock by the high e tuning peg. I'd go to a Fender dealer that'd have lots of info or call their help line to figure out the serial number span for the guitars, and what colors they came in. That way you'd know for sure.
Axes:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG320FM
LTD GUS600
Kramer Striker
Acoustics:
Art & Lutherie CW Antique Burst
Stupid Ovation CC
Washburn 12 String
Amps:
Randall Colossus Head
Randall Century 170 Cab/Head
Fender Acoustasonic
Its been over an hour and I've yet to receive a response from the seller, I'm gonna have to call this a fake.
Quote by RU Experienced?

It's probably just got a sticker on the back saying the 50th anniversary, it probably isn't an actual anniversary model, like how they did in 2006 with the guitars and the 60th anniversary of Fender. It was just put there to show that it was made in that year

It just looks like a MIM Standard Strat, and you can see the serial number on the front below the Fender logo, like every other MIM Strat before 2009. It doesn't seem like a fake.

EDIT: And it's only been like an hour, I doubt the seller has even had chance to go to his computer yet.

Again, it's an MIM, it was just made in the anniversary year, and it just doesn't look like a fake at all.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Jul 11, 2009,