I just started learning theory from a teacher, we've gone over most of the stuff, but I never got to ask him a few questions about scales. I thought I'd ask you guys.

Since the scales are important for finding chords and such, can they also be used to find the key of a song?
kinda.

You have to look at the notes in the rhythm and melody and match them to a certain scale.

Check the Theory Sticky.
Yes, the chords in a scale have values (major, minor, diminished ect)

like in the key of C for example

Cmaj Dmin Emin Fmaj Gmaj Amin Bdim

if you have a chord progression you don't know the key of, you can easily look at the values of the chords and find out the corresponding key signature they apply to.
Well, sometimes a scale is essentially just going through all the notes of the key. If you ever write something based on a major scale, chances are, you're in that major key.
Quote by pwrmax
Well, sometimes a scale is essentially just going through all the notes of the key. If you ever write something based on a major scale, chances are, you're in that major key.

Well, yeah, that's kind of the point

The key of a song is dictated by where the song resolves. Let me dig up one of my older posts about this. Hold up for a minute or two.

Edit:

Quote by Eastwinn
All you need to do to find the key is find out where it resolves. On what chord does the progression feel complete? Where is all tension relieved? What chord would you feel the most comfortable ending the song on? To get a feel for resolution, play these chord in order: C, B7, Em. Where does that feel complete? On the Em, of course, therefore the key is E minor. Try G, Em, C, D and then back to G. Where does that feel complete? That's all you need to do 99% of the time. You don't need to look at the rest of the notes because the "tonic" "root" "home" chord (all different ways to say the chord that it resolves to) tell all. The only time you'd need to look at the notes is if you think it may be modal, which I can basically guarantee it isn't.

Not the most amazing explanation, so if you need more examples of resolution, just ask.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Jul 12, 2009,