Hey I would like to learn my first bass solo !

Ive been playing for almost a year...

To descirbe my "skills" I can say that the 2 most challenging songs ive played is Muse - Hysteria and Black sabbath - Iron man xD! (at least the fast part, still having a bit problem with it) ( Yes, i do suck)

I prefer to play fingerstyle.

So is there any bass solo I could be able to learn?
the Bass intro to N.I.B. from Black Sabbath would be nice

EDIT: The Lemon Song by Led Zeppelin, YYZ by Rush Around the World by RHCP are nice songs to play on bass
Hola.
Last edited by luyano at Jul 11, 2009,
Crap, I heard bass solo and was about to suggest "Scarified" by Racer X, but it's much harder than Iron Man, And I think he uses a pick.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Play the bass solo during the bridge of "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Iron Maiden. Steve Harris uses his fingers exclusively.
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Quote by guitarmaniac88
Crap, I heard bass solo and was about to suggest "Scarified" by Racer X, but it's much harder than Iron Man, And I think he uses a pick.

There is no way anyone can play that without a pick :P
Quote by guitarmaniac88

Thx guys for the awnser! I will check them out now !

Oh yea... Thats way to hard! I suck xD! I see people playing for like 3-4 months and they are better than me or they know harder songs i mean :P
Quote by Antis0cial

No, I saw a kid do it on Youtube, I'll try to PM the link.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by guitarmaniac88
No, I saw a kid do it on Youtube, I'll try to PM the link.

Lol, thanks, Love playing it on guitar, great song
Orion by Metallica.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by luyano
the Bass intro to N.I.B. from Black Sabbath would be nice

EDIT: The Lemon Song by Led Zeppelin, YYZ by Rush Around the World by RHCP are nice songs to play on bass

I just checked out N.I.B... Thats a perfect song for me to learn challenging but not impossible ! But still looking for a sooolooow ;D
Well you could play "Anesthesia" or "Orion" by Metallica. There's also a solo in "No One Knows" by QOTSA which sounds pretty good; there's a bass solo in "Jumper" by Third Eye Blind (not really your style I think but :P ); there's always "My Generation" by The Who or "Black Masks and Gasoline" by Rise Against. Those are all of the more "simplistic" bass solos I can think of :P good luck.
Arcane Echo

Just call me Ethan
The Pot by Tool is cool, uses a pick though. Afterlife by A7X.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
Schism by Tool?

there is a bass solo in Million Flame by Soilwork that is pretty good.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Thank you everyone ! Really helped me!

Next solo to learn QOTSA - No one knows ! I think maybe it will be a bit easy but fun!
Next song to learn N.I.B by Black Sabbath!

Hope this thread helps other noobies !
Quote by Antis0cial

dude, youtube vids, dudes playing it with fingers, and its ****ing nuts
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
has anyone seen the thread?

it's not a question of literacy it's a question of checking out the top of the page. plenty of sweet little songs.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by InvaderTSN
Juan Alderete can do it. He does it 2 fingered as well.

Yep he does it without a pick, he's got some pretty good finger speed, the solo in day of the baphomets by The Mars Volta sounds like he's playing with a pick as well, but i'm pretty sure he's not using one. Its a mix of tone and being extremely economic with his plucking, moving his fingers as little as possible.
holy ****, The Humanity was here... and DIDN'T close this thread!!! man your lucky!
and, im gonna go with NIB. thats amazing!
but, i like this atmosphere, whats everyone's favorite bass lines? and of COURSE they have to follow the guidelines set by Zooku!
Quote by ImaHighwayChile
Yep he does it without a pick, he's got some pretty good finger speed, the solo in day of the baphomets by The Mars Volta sounds like he's playing with a pick as well, but i'm pretty sure he's not using one. Its a mix of tone and being extremely economic with his plucking, moving his fingers as little as possible.

The Day of the Baphomets solo is sick, I don't have a clue how he can get that tone without a pick/slapping.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
How about Aeroplane by rhcp?... But I mean a year and the most complicated thing you can play is iron man? Ive been playing 8 months and I can play some Jaco Pastorious. at least you dont play with a pick, but hey keep it up.
COLOURFUL SIGNATURE

compliment from fellow UGer
Even though it may be out of the genre you're looking for, Donna Lee as done by Jaco Pastorius will keep you going our a year or so. However, in the end, getting your groove down will get your more gigs than knowing Anesthesia or Donna Lee, note for note. Also, watch what Victor Wooten does, you can never go wrong with Wooten!
Quote by aaronbassist333
holy ****, The Humanity was here... and DIDN'T close this thread!!! man your lucky!
but, i like this atmosphere, whats everyone's favorite bass lines? and of COURSE they have to follow the guidelines set by Zooku!

humanity isn't a mod...

the only thing i can think of that you COULD learn is NIB at this point if the hardest thing you can play is hysteria
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by aaronbassist333

only colored names get to close threads or ban people.

if your comment wasn't so funny, I'd report you, but the humor I found in this post was quite worth it. have a good day man.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Take the bass solo from the song Hammer Smashed Face and play it slowly over and over. Its (in my opinion anyway) better sounding on the version from the live album than the studio one.
the bassline from Butterfly by Crazy Town, which is sampled from an RHCP bass solo, but i can't remember what song
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
I think I played My Generation by The Who after a year. Just practice it and you will get it.

Naked in the rain by RHCP has a cool bass solo. Its prob a little harder to play though.

And I doubt you could do it after a year, but Coffee Shop has a cool solo too.

EDIT
To poster above me

Its pRetty Little dirty.
Quote by theamericandj
How about Aeroplane by rhcp?... But I mean a year and the most complicated thing you can play is iron man? Ive been playing 8 months and I can play some Jaco Pastorious. at least you dont play with a pick, but hey keep it up.

Well, I can play "advanced stuff" but I meant as whole songs... I can play a bit of alot of stuff... But thx! Also I have no teacher :P
Quote by theamericandj

Hey man, maybe you got the wrong instrument, with that kinda competitive arrogant attitude you sound like a guitarist!!! We're all at different skill levels here, and a lot of talented people here use a pick, there aint no need to turn it into a competition or be elitist!!

No-One knows is a good little solo to learn, it's pretty simple and then you can work on speeding it up, same with My Generation. Do check out Nicks "Songs to Learn Thread" too!! And do keep playing man!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I'm not sure if Iron Maiden's Powerslave would be too tough for you. If not, then do it, because it is AWESOME!
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
Quote by WARNINGnimrod12
I'm not sure if Iron Maiden's Powerslave would be too tough for you. If not, then do it, because it is AWESOME!

I would like a bit harder...

This thread got kinda messed upp... When I said Hysteria and Iron man... So Im gonna explain myself...

I learnt Hysteria after 2 months of playing bassguitar, still it was one of the most challening ive learnt!

And Iron man was hard because Ive never had played that fast before... So I got stuck on the guitar solo place.

Ive also played Orion but that wasnt alot of a challange, just took time.
Quote by theamericandj

I kind of took you seriously until I read that.

Picks or fingers, play how you want.
Quote by rockonth
Why don't they just send 4chan to Iraq if they're so good at these so called "raids"?

Quote by entity0009
I once got hit by a flying wig. Either it was a wig or someone was headbanging far too hard.
Quote by Saint Scarhand
I kind of took you seriously until I read that.

Picks or fingers, play how you want.

true that, i hate when people think you suck as a bassist when you use a pick. i use primarily my fingers, but i occasionally use a pick to get a crunchy, harder tone. usually whenever i bust out my pick my friends are like "wtf are you doing??"
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by fenderbassist12
true that, i hate when people think you suck as a bassist when you use a pick. i use primarily my fingers, but i occasionally use a pick to get a crunchy, harder tone. usually whenever i bust out my pick my friends are like "wtf are you doing??"

I get the same here.

I mainly do clean, fingered ska lines.

But then I go and do metal and highly distorted lines and it only feels right with a pick.
Quote by rockonth
Why don't they just send 4chan to Iraq if they're so good at these so called "raids"?

Quote by entity0009
I once got hit by a flying wig. Either it was a wig or someone was headbanging far too hard.