I want a seven string. I play a fairly wide variety of music, but "teh br00t4lz" are in there too. So, alternate voicings aside, it'd be nice to have that low string for chugging on.

I was planning on waiting about a year before buying one though, since I'm still fairly early on in learning (but at 30yrs old, I've got enough introspection to know when I'm going to stick with something or not, and I'm going to stick with playing the guitar - it's mah happy place)

However, the Epi SG special I bought for learning is crap (neck is set crookedly - by the 20th fret, the low E 2mm from the edge of the neck and the high e is nearly 10mm from the edge - and it's fairly loose, I've a feeling that the screw-holes are mangled). So I may end up having to buy a new guitar before I planned (the epi was bought used, so no warrantee).

So, here's the question. I've got about USD$700 (plus tax, shipping and duty) that I am willing to spend on a new guitar, and I'm willing to do it fairly piecemeal. There are three possibilities that I'm looking at.

1 - Wait until my current guitar just isn't doing it, and then get a schecter C-7 Blackjack for about $700.
2 - Take advantage of this sale and pick up the Dean Vendetta VNXM for $200 and then pop a matched set of BKP blackdog pups into it for $500 later on.
3 - Take advantage of the expertise on these forums when someone suggests a better idea

I had basically resigned myself to waiting and acting on either #1 or #3. However, the discovery of just how craptacular the epi is (to my sadness, since I really really like the feel of the guitar).

But... #2 seems kinda interesting, since BKPs are awesome, and the only bad thing I've seen written about the Dean is that the pups are terribad.

Do any of you guys have any experience with that particular Dean or any suggestions on which might be the best idea?
If your going to go with #2 then get a new neck as well, i played it and was very disappointed by the neck of the guitar.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
if you really enjoyed the feel of your Epis SG neck, just get yourself a new SG

unless your adamant on a 7-string... in which case.... im out :P
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
you could always look at the ibanez rg 7321 they're only $400 and even less on the used market and you're more than likely to be able to find a decent one available
Quote by kylendm
If your going to go with #2 then get a new neck as well, i played it and was very disappointed by the neck of the guitar.

What didn't you like about it?

Quote by MickAlmighty
if you really enjoyed the feel of your Epis SG neck, just get yourself a new SG

unless your adamant on a 7-string... in which case.... im out :P

I did really like the feel of the SG neck. But I'd really like a 7 string. And I don't know that I'd like to get another epi sg, on the off chance that a new one is just as crappy as the used one I snagged.

you could always look at the ibanez rg 7321 they're only $400 and even less on the used market and you're more than likely to be able to find a decent one available

I'm a bit gun-shy on going used now, I've gotta admit.

I guess what I'm after is more a question of "what's the best bang for my (700) buck(s)?" A $700 Schecter, a vendetta vnxm with awesome new pups, or something else entirely?
Do you want a trem or no?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
Do you want a trem or no?

I'm ambivalent at this point. I've watched some vids on how to change the strings and tunings on a few different types of trems... so while some (like the FR) look like a bit of a pain in the arse... they don't look all that bad.

So I'm easy with the sleazy. Eventually I'll want to snag one, just to learn how to play with it, but I'm not in any particular rush.
The schecter black jack 7 is a solid option (my next 7 when I have the cash), good pickups and a solid performing guitar, I would try a bunch of guitars in your price range at a local shop and make and educated decision from there tho.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
http://www.rondomusic.com/7string.html
Well any of those are good, please keep in mind they don't ship till August 1st. Also be sure to read, the prices at the bottom are only a deposit the description says the full price.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by Switchmunky7
The schecter black jack 7 is a solid option (my next 7 when I have the cash), good pickups and a solid performing guitar, I would try a bunch of guitars in your price range at a local shop and make and educated decision from there tho.

None of my local shops stock seven stringers.

Has no one tried out one of those Deans? There aren't very many reviews on it, but the only complaints I've seen on the reviews that I have found are that the stock pups are terrible. If it's a solid guitar otherwise, then snagging it and slapping some BKPs in would be ideal (it'd let me get a cheap 7 for now, that I could upgrade later when the cash is a bit more disposable). But if it's garbage all around, then I'd rather give it a miss and explore alternatives.

Sadly though, I can't try before I buy >.< ... hence this thread

Quote by alternitivebass
http://www.rondomusic.com/7string.html
Well any of those are good, please keep in mind they don't ship till August 1st. Also be sure to read, the prices at the bottom are only a deposit the description says the full price.

So, in your opinion, would one of those agile's with their stock pups be better or worse than the dean with a set of blackdogs? Since they'd both run out to about the same price.
Last edited by havokca at Jul 11, 2009,
If you really dont want to go used, Id say the Schecter is your best bet. Ive heard very mixed reviews about the Dean, though Ive never played one. Also, the SG has rather a chunky neck, and if you like the feel of that, you'll definately like the feel of Schecter 7 necks. I know I rather do

Although, I wouldnt rule out buying used completely. You could score an awesome used RG7421/7621 or any other number of cracking deals. Just make sure you buy from a reputable source.

Try having a look on the marketplace section over on the forums of www.sevenstring.org

Quote by havokca
So, in your opinion, would one of those agile's with their stock pups be better or worse than the dean with a set of blackdogs? Since they'd both run out to about the same price.

Definitely better. First of all if you want to be playing metal Blackdogs aren't a good choice. Also the Agile will be made better and have higher quality parts and you could always change pickups sometimes in the future.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by Switchmunky7

+1 except i'm not gonna get one when i have the money. idk what i feel like gettin yet. lol
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by alternitivebass
Definitely better. First of all if you want to be playing metal Blackdogs aren't a good choice. Also the Agile will be made better and have higher quality parts and you could always change pickups sometimes in the future.

I dunno about that. I heard about BKPs a few months ago, and went poking around their website and forums. They've got some audio clips on there, and after listening to a bunch, I set my mind on a pair of blackdogs; I will have a guitar with some in them at some point... not necessarily in this planned rig though.

However, just now, on the advice of littlemurph7976, I checked out ss.org ... they seem to think that blackdogs are really good for low tunings.

So I'm curious as to why you think blackdogs are no good for metal? Just because most people seem to go for warpigs or nailbombs... or some other reason?
Quote by havokca
I dunno about that. I heard about BKPs a few months ago, and went poking around their website and forums. They've got some audio clips on there, and after listening to a bunch, I set my mind on a pair of blackdogs; I will have a guitar with some in them at some point... not necessarily in this planned rig though.

However, just now, on the advice of littlemurph7976, I checked out ss.org ... they seem to think that blackdogs are really good for low tunings.

So I'm curious as to why you think blackdogs are no good for metal? Just because most people seem to go for warpigs or nailbombs... or some other reason?

I should have said that better. IMO there are better options then the black dogs for metal.
The Blackdog has a better sound for glam metal era and Black Sabbath stuff, not really highgain. Also don't add down tuning to metal because just because it can handle low tunings doesn't not mean it's good for metal. I like the painkiller personally. http://www.lundgren.se/index.asp?folid=22&micid=88
This is also a great pickup imo superior to the blackdog.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by alternitivebass
I should have said that better. IMO there are better options then the black dogs for metal. Also don't add down tuning to metal because just because it can handle low tunings doesn't not mean it's good for metal. I like the painkiller personally. http://www.lundgren.se/index.asp?folid=22&micid=88
This is also a great pickup imo superior to the blackdog.

Hmm.... that's definitely worth looking into. Thanks for the site =)

So, given that possibly-shoddy electronics is the only beef people seem to have with the dean, and that a new set of pickups (and some other minor stuff, maybe a new jack) would end up being the same price. What would you choose? Dean with those pups you linked, or the agile?
Quote by havokca
Hmm.... that's definitely worth looking into. Thanks for the site =)

So, given that possibly-shoddy electronics is the only beef people seem to have with the dean, and that a new set of pickups (and some other minor stuff, maybe a new jack) would end up being the same price. What would you choose? Dean with those pups you linked, or the agile?

I'd go with the Dean, but if you would eventually change the pups in an Agile it would be 10x if not more, imo, better than the Dean. That is if you get one of the Agiles without EMGs because EMG's 7 string humbucker shape is not standard.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
I'd go with the Dean, but if you would eventually change the pups in an Agile it would be 10x if not more, imo, better than the Dean. That is if you get one of the Agiles without EMGs because EMG's 7 string humbucker shape is not standard.

Yeah, but then I'd be looking at an agile with $500 humbuckers in it, which'd bring me up to about $1200 total. At that point, I'd have to wonder if a Jeff Loomis signature, or something else in that price range wouldn't be better...
Quote by havokca
Yeah, but then I'd be looking at an agile with $500 humbuckers in it, which'd bring me up to about $1200 total. At that point, I'd have to wonder if a Jeff Loomis signature, or something else in that price range wouldn't be better...

The Loomis sig is awesome, but about pick ups I'm talking if you replaced them a year or two later down the road.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
well... it looks like part of this is a no-go... since, for some reason, musiciansfriend.com cannot ship deans to Canada >.<
Quote by havokca
well... it looks like part of this is a no-go... since, for some reason, musiciansfriend.com cannot ship deans to Canada >.<

can't you find a shipping agent that will take delivery of your item and then ship it to you? it's alot more riskier considering the guitar needs to be shipped twice and also you'll be paying a bit more but you do get what you want.