I've been practicing guitar for about 2 or so weeks now, and I'm starting to be able to switch chords and stuff a little better and trying to get into the habit of muting unplayed strings with my index finger. The chords I know so far: A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, Em7, G

Anyways, I figure this is a good time to start practicing scales and stuff, not only to improve my left hand's stretch and dexterity, but also to learn music the proper way. I like a variety of music (generally specific songs, I don't really have any favorite artists or anything.

Some songs I like:

Gives You Hell - All American Rejects
Points of Authority - Linkin Park
Ignition - Toby Mac
Face Down - Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Frontline - Pillar
Stricken - Disturbed
Be My Escape - Relient K

So I'd kind of like to play music like that, so scales and stuff that would help there would be appreciated if you guys have any suggestions. Also, I would like to eventually play some really fast guitar solos and what not and "Through the fire and flames" by dragonforce I'd eventually like to play. I don't really like that song all that much, but I love the guitar in the song for some reason. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is also another song where I like the guitar, but think the vocals and actual lyrics are kinda stupid and meaningless (no offense to kurt cobain fans, just not my style).

I've heard people mention stuff like a "circle of fifths" and what not and would really like to learn what that is. If you guys know of a website that teaches not only the theory, but how it applies to actually making melodies and stuff like that would be great. I mean, I can kinda play piano (never learned theory while learning piano, just memorized a bunch of songs), and I can kind of make my own melodies by just randomly hitting stuff and then finding what sounds good together by trial and error, but there must be a better way, and even when I do find a nice rhythm (or melody) I have no idea how to add other stuff to that to get a more "fuller" song if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advanced for any help/advice.
Quote by Kalagaraz
snip

For theory start with the Crusade articles in the lessons section of the website. Highly recommended by everyone. Starting hanging around Musician Talk more. You'll learn masses of info casually there. MT is full of some very knowledgeable people.
Learning scale patterns without knowing the notes or how they fit together will not inherently give you a knowledge of theory.

Learning scale patterns might not be the best thing for you to start doing. If you're interested in learning scales then learn the construction and notes on the neck. If you're interested in scales because you want to learn to play better/faster then you'd be better off learning exercises tailored towards improving playing and practicing them with a metronome. This is brilliant

Can't stress enough how useful the crusade articles will be to you if you're really interested in theory.
Someone else will probably be able to add to this better than i can.

EDIT:Turns out crusade articles are in the columns section. While i'm here, have a link.
Last edited by ApeWeevil at Jul 11, 2009,