I need help with something, as you surely know by now.
For a song I have to learn, the key is Bb, and I have to play chords C,G,A,F,Bb,Gm7 and Eb. However, I don't know how to play in different keys, so I am looking for some guidance as to how I would go about playing those. Also, if it is the same general principle for playing in any different key such as A or C.

Thank you very much.
I'm not sure I understand the problem - You've got the chords, play them. Is your problem the shapes etc? or some else I didn't quite get?
Rubys.
We could change the world if we had the source code.
I don't know how to play them in a different key, I can play the regular chords, but I don't know how to shape them otherwise.

And yes, I have a capo.
Quote by OldRocker
Move everything over a fret.

What do you mean?
Instead of playing
010230, play 121341?
Quote by Turkeyburger
What do you mean?
Instead of playing
010230, play 121341?

That's one key. Move over another fret and you have another key and so on till you run out of room.

EDIT: meaning room for the whole progression.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Last edited by OldRocker at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by Turkeyburger
For a song I have to learn, the key is Bb, and I have to play chords C,G,A,F,Bb,Gm7 and Eb. However, I don't know how to play in different keys, so I am looking for some guidance as to how I would go about playing those. Also, if it is the same general principle for playing in any different key such as A or C.

Thank you very much.

Learn the notes on the fretboard, learn chord construction and learn about keys.

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section - it's not as simple as "moving one fret". Sure, that may ultimately be what you end up doing, but you need to know WHY you're doing it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Turkeyburger

Thank you very much.

Key = B♭ Major.

Diatonic Chords in B♭ Major are...
B♭= I; Cm = ii; Dm = iii; E♭ = IV; F = V; Gm = vi; Adim = viiᵒ
(note lower case are used to denote minor triads, upper case used to denote major)

The chords you have to play are not all diatonic but we can figure it out easily enough. They are,
C = II (not ii which indicates minor but II which denotes Major)
G = VI
A = VII
F = V
B♭ = I
Gm7 = vi7
E♭ = IV

So the progression is...
II - VI - VII - V - I - vi7 - IV

Now you can plug it in to any key.

for example G major = G A B C D E F♯ G
So II - VI - VII - V - I - vi7 - IV in the key of G major = A E F♯ D G Em7 C

in the key of E major (E major = E F♯ G♯ A B C♯ D♯ the progression would be
II - VI - VII - V - I - vi7 - IV = F♯ - C♯ - D♯ - B - E - C♯m7 - A

etc etc.

Not sure if that is what you're looking for but there you go anyway.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jul 12, 2009,