When i was younger i was sponsored in snowboard and it was awesome because i had good discount on very expensive gear as long as i went to competition...

I was just wondering if the same process can apply to guitar too since good gear is like mega expensive too...
i assume you need really good band.
how popular do you have to be?
what are the brand that sponsor the most? (it doesent have to be only guitar brand, can be anything related to guitar.)
How good do you have to be? (in snowboard its just part of the culture so its pretty common you dont have to be champion of the world to be sponsored just to be good enough for competition and stupid enough to always try bigger stuff.)
is it something common to be sponsored in music?
How does it work exactly?

anbody here has a sponsor.

thanks!
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

have you been playing for two weeks?

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
I've heard of a guitar with five colored frets, but they don't play well.
its an endorsement. normally, you have to be gigging and putting out albums and use that company's gear.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
it's tons more difficult in music. you need to:
1. have some good recorded music
2. play lots of shows
3. have some sort of fan base
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by Ghold125
Getting sponsored take a lot of effort. Most companies require you to play a certain amount of gigs a year. Or enough time to show off there gear. I believe Rob Chappers has a vid also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBOFbTYNQcE&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FRobChappers&feature=player_profilepage

that guy is ****ing awesome lol

meh its alot different from snowboard endorssement but its worth trying...
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
Really really freakin difficult. You pretty much have to be famous.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
for me it would be quite usefull since i have this thing were i love to heavilly abuse/ destroy guitar on stage and i end up buying some crappy redfox guitar for that matter.

Meh.... guess ill have to try to control myself.
Quote by BelowZero

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
Last edited by ModestAxis at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by Mr Lincolnlogs
You dont really get free stuff from being endorsed. You just get discounts really. They may give you a few things, like clothes, but thats just more product placement.

nah but discount would be cool as i said i the first post...

will check the halo guitar up tho :P but i have hard-on on fender guitar tho so i wouldnt be able play it as my main... just backup + maim catalyser.

EDIT: nvm they dont look like that much of a sucky brand... i dunno would have to try them first..
Quote by BelowZero

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
Last edited by ModestAxis at Jul 11, 2009,
there a guy here who is endorsed by dean guitars

and peter joseph who is also here is endorsed by ibanez i think
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
2 guys from melbourne are endorsed.

a guy nammed Lyndon Conwell in Endorsed by Legacy - gets like5 guitars a year
and a better known guy, Lloyd speigel - endorsed by Cole Clark Guitars.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
remember, if you're endorsed, you're THEIR BITCH, not the other way around.

they tell you to jump, you better say "how high?", if they arent making money off you, you're gone.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Endorsing in music isn't really that great. You just use their **** and then they brag about how you use their ****. You can get them to make custom stuff for you for cheaper, though, which is pretty cool and a great deal nonetheless.

My grandfather was in a band and this guy wrote to Dean Markley about endorsing them and how they would put a big Dean Markley banner up at their shows and such. The company got back to them and sent them two boxes full of strings. Of course, this is probably when that company was just getting started.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Dean markley strings are the shizzzz...

yeah being a compagny bitch sucks... i dunno im sure if your name is kurt cobain or jeff beck or i dunno then they become your bitch more then anything else
Quote by BelowZero

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
this is for a Caparison endorsement and i suspect other manufacturers will follow along the lines of this

Endorsements

As you may know, we receive hundreds of requests for endorsements. At this time, our artist roster is very full. However, you may still send us a promo package for consideration.

This promo package must contain the following requirements:

1. A copy of your latest cd. Please, no cdr copies. Only professional, retail ready cds. Your band must be on a major or large indie label. It is also best if you have had a cd released in Japan.

2. A current photo print of yourself.

3. A list of your other endorsement companies.

4. A brief biography of yourself. Include your album history and past tours experience.

5. Your contact e-mail address.

As stated above, we have MANY requests for endorsement deals. We simply cannot respond to every request. We will contact you if we are able to work with you. Thank you for your understanding!
Quote by azn_guitarist25
this is for a Caparison endorsement and i suspect other manufacturers will follow along the lines of this

Yea but thats Caparison some of the best guitars in the world, I would think for getting endorsments your best bet would be small companies i.e GHS strings or something similar. It will be WAY harder getting an endorsment from a well known guitar company
Quote by metalcorefan
Yea but thats Caparison some of the best guitars in the world, I would think for getting endorsments your best bet would be small companies i.e GHS strings or something similar. It will be WAY harder getting an endorsment from a well known guitar company

that is true but you tell me any manufacturer that will endorse you without sending them any of your details/works/biography/tours
GHS strings have competitions to get endorsed by them for a year. Mainly because GHS strings suck.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
GHS strings have competitions to get endorsed by them for a year. Mainly because GHS strings suck.

I know thats why I gave it as an example lol
Quote by neozeke
Ive heard its really easy to get sponsored by Halo guitars.
Probably because halo guitars are quite bad atm

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Squier does large endorsements. I'd love to take up on that offer. Epiphone also does endorsements. I don't know how difficult it would be to get ahold of that offer, but I listed those two in particular 'cause I would think it'd be much easier than getting endorsed by Fender or Ibanez or something.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

I was gonna post the Chappers video.

Getting an endorsement can be quite easy if you play your cards right, I'll regurgitate some of Rob Chappers video here, start off with a small/new company, these are the easiest to get endorsed by.
Get popular on the internet (youtube, myspace etc), so if you have a band, make sure their myspace has decent recordings on, gig dates, etc etc, and make sure you get a lot of dates (if in a band, if you're a solo artist it doesn't apply as much, say if you're a popular youtube player).

It's all about getting publicity, for getting endorsed, and remaining endorsed.
But for some endorsements you don't even need to be that big, I know a Rory Gallagher tribute band from Germany (I hear you say "Who's Rory Gallagher?", just proves my point that you don't need to be huge to get an endorsement) and their bassist got endorsed by Vintage (the UK company) and they sent him over a Jaco style bass which is quite nice.
it's not as hard as you think if you really want it and wont mind kissing ass to just want to get a endorsement. like in nyc there are battle of the bands like 10 times a year and each competition has 3 winner which all get endorsed. of course then again all those bands are either hardcore, metalcore, or something with core in it. so my best advice for you is if you dont like core music but dont mind selling your soul come to nyc and play some metalcore and win a battle of the bands but if you do mind i would go to japan or eroupe and try to get something going there as metal is huge there (which is what iam going to do) and my band won first place in 3 of those competitions and we didnt get anything but the 2nd 3rd and 4th winners all got endorsements and record deal and they were all playing metalcore.
Last edited by ticklemeasian at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by ModestAxis
nah but discount would be cool as i said i the first post...

will check the halo guitar up tho :P but i have hard-on on fender guitar tho so i wouldnt be able play it as my main... just backup + maim catalyser.

EDIT: nvm they dont look like that much of a sucky brand... i dunno would have to try them first..

You need to play over 200 shows a year to be endorsed by fender
***Short Sig***
Quote by ModestAxis
for me it would be quite usefull since i have this thing were i love to heavilly abuse/ destroy guitar on stage and i end up buying some crappy redfox guitar for that matter.

Meh.... guess ill have to try to control myself.

You're an idiot.

I just couldn't control myself.
Quote by ticklemeasian
it's not as hard as you think if you really want it and wont mind kissing ass to just want to get a endorsement. like in nyc there are battle of the bands like 10 times a year and each competition has 3 winner which all get endorsed.

You realise that it's much easier to get endorsed by your own devices than to win a competition?
And "Come to new york and go in the battle of the bands" is a bit of a stupid idea if you're not from new york, there are plenty of competitions that win you endorsements.
Though the endorsements you win are always of small brands which you can easily get endorsed by anyway.
Just a question but the battle of the bands at warped tour, Doesn't the winner get endorsed by Ernie Ball? I think that would be pretty sick
Quote by herman ri2
You're an idiot.

I just couldn't control myself.

that was quite mean my friend but oh well....
Quote by BelowZero

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
Quote by ModestAxis
that was quite mean my friend but oh well....

He's got a point though, dude. And while it's really none of my business what you do with your things, I've always found people destroying their instruments onstage aggravating. I've always thought that if someone wants to waste a perfectly good instrument, they should at least throw it into the crowd. While it will probably be destroyed anyway, someone might manage to pull it out of the fury and be able to get some use out of.

Also, you post a thread about how to get endorsements so that your equipment won't be as expensive, yet you're talking about wrecking your gear at your shows? Just think about how much sense that makes.
Quote by metalcorefan
Just a question but the battle of the bands at warped tour, Doesn't the winner get endorsed by Ernie Ball? I think that would be pretty sick

Only if you like Musicman guitars, I only like the petrucci sig.

Also the TS is kind of a jerk. IM GONNA GET SPONSORED BY DA BEST GUITAR BRAND N STUFF SO I GET FREE ****S FROM THEM AND I CAN SMASH IT UP ON STAGE AND GET DUMPED IN 1 WEEK!&%&*!^@(%^(!@%!@$!^!#@^!@$!@%
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Only if you like Musicman guitars, I only like the petrucci sig.

Also the TS is kind of a jerk. IM GONNA GET SPONSORED BY DA BEST GUITAR BRAND N STUFF SO I GET FREE ****S FROM THEM AND I CAN SMASH IT UP ON STAGE AND GET DUMPED IN 1 WEEK!&%&*!^@(%^(!@%!@$!^!#@^!@$!@%

Exactly. I can't think of one company that would want to see their product being destroyed on stage. If you did that, you'd probably be out of a sponsor.
Edit; ^I dunno, Hendrix set fire to strats and smashed them(Which I love), and Fender still glorifies him like hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBOFbTYNQcE

This should answer most of your questions on the subject. It did for me.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
Edit; ^I dunno, Hendrix set fire to strats and smashed them(Which I love), and Fender still glorifies him like hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBOFbTYNQcE

This should answer most of your questions on the subject. It did for me.

Yeah, I guess if Hendrix, one of the most influential guitarists to ever live, can get away with it, anyone can. Right?
Why the hell would you want to smash up a guitar or amp anyway? Unless you just wanted to look like a dipsh!t poser, in which case, go crazy.
Quote by saves_the_day
Yeah, I guess if Hendrix, one of the most influential guitarists to ever live, can get away with it, anyone can. Right?

I can make a crappy point once in a while, can't I?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Yeah, Yngve Malmsten opened up for Deep Purple once and (I wasn't actually looking at the time) he smashed one of his Strats. Then he handed them out the crowd.

I raged.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!