Been playing guitar for a year ish and have been trying few tapping licks out on my recent Ibanez rg350dx only to find there really hard to hear, the taps don't seem to get recognised and don't sound very well. Hammer ons and pull off on there own sound perfect but taping just doesn't seem to sound very well. So I plug my old starter ibanez in and the taps are loads easier to hear. Is this a problem with my technique or gear?

Ibanez rg350dx
Digitech rp250
I can think of 2 ideas for you.

1) Start tapping harder! Are your strings a different gauges? Hows the action? Maybe one guitar has a higher action and your technique needs to compensate for it.

2) Your hammer-on/pull-off technique withy our pick hand needs to be worked on. Start on the high e string and work on getting the notes out, then move up til you can do it on all 6 or 7 strings!

Enjoy
no idea...? that's weird. tapping should sound exactly like hammer-ons and pulloffs.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by _shock_
Been playing guitar for a year ish and have been trying few tapping licks out on my recent Ibanez rg350dx only to find there really hard to hear, the taps don't seem to get recognised and don't sound very well. Hammer ons and pull off on there own sound perfect but taping just doesn't seem to sound very well. So I plug my old starter ibanez in and the taps are loads easier to hear. Is this a problem with my technique or gear?

Ibanez rg350dx
Digitech rp250

wow, I finally registered just cause I had to reply to this thread, I've noticed the exact same thing and I have the EXACT same guitar, it's my first guitar and only one I've used so I had nothing to compare it to and thought it was just me, when trying tapping I have to tap REALLY hard to get any noise out compared to hammerons/pullofs.

JS1200_Player, excuse my newbness but what is action ? is there something I can adjust on my guitar to get the strings in a better position for this? I mean it's possible to tap with my guitar like this but it's impractical!

cheers
hmm and im getting that guitar for my B-day! do u both guys use pedals? multi effect pedals? i do, tapping seems very hard when it's on, because it lowers how sensitive the strings become, making tapping harder, but when i plug it without the pedal(RP70) it sounds more clearer to me!
Quote by pjuckazz
hmm and im getting that guitar for my B-day! do u both guys use pedals? multi effect pedals? i do, tapping seems very hard when it's on, because it lowers how sensitive the strings become, making tapping harder, but when i plug it without the pedal(RP70) it sounds more clearer to me!

I use a BOSS-ME50 multi effect pedal thingamajig, maybe I should try straight to the amp and see what tapping is like, I'm not home so I can't try it now but I'll post about it when I do
Quote by MarloweTravers
wow, I finally registered just cause I had to reply to this thread, I've noticed the exact same thing and I have the EXACT same guitar, it's my first guitar and only one I've used so I had nothing to compare it to and thought it was just me, when trying tapping I have to tap REALLY hard to get any noise out compared to hammerons/pullofs.

JS1200_Player, excuse my newbness but what is action ? is there something I can adjust on my guitar to get the strings in a better position for this? I mean it's possible to tap with my guitar like this but it's impractical!

cheers

Action is the hight of the strings from the fretboard , lowering the action can make things a lot easier ...
Quote by MarloweTravers
I use a BOSS-ME50 multi effect pedal thingamajig, maybe I should try straight to the amp and see what tapping is like, I'm not home so I can't try it now but I'll post about it when I do

get home then sweetheart
Quote by _shock_

Ibanez rg350dx
Digitech rp250

It's technique. I have a GRG170DX (a starter guitar), but even with inferior equipment, I have no trouble with tapping, even on a clean tone. It's your technique. Tap with your middle finger (that one seems to work best for me) and really hit it. Also, turn the guitar's volume up to ten - that maximizes the output of the pickups, IIRC.
Quote by Geldin
It's technique. I have a GRG170DX (a starter guitar), but even with inferior equipment, I have no trouble with tapping, even on a clean tone. It's your technique. Tap with your middle finger (that one seems to work best for me) and really hit it. Also, turn the guitar's volume up to ten - that maximizes the output of the pickups, IIRC.

Well on my older guitar I had no trouble tapping. The gauge of string is different and also the action my newer guitar the rg350dx having thicker strings and higher action.

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

pjuckazz i do have a pedal the digitech rp250 but my amp is a crappy starter one so I can't really compare the sounds with it, so it could be that