I've been researching some PRS models and I've heard a lot of talk about a "10 top"...I couldn't find anything through google/wikipedia and I searched it here and couldn't find anything...

So what is a ten top?

Also, how well do PRS custom 24s handle downtuning? I have a floyd on my guitar now and can't go below Drop C# without adjusting everything.
Proghead and Proud
It means its a great AAAAA piece of figured maple. Also they handle drop tunings fine, but your floyd should be able to go down anything, but a half step without needing everything to be adjusted.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Between The Buried And Me use a PRS custom 24 in C# standard, and it works fine for them. Sounds brilliant.
April is the cruellest month, breeding Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing Memory and desire, stirring Dull roots with spring rain
If I tune below drop C# I have to adjust the spring tension. If I went and put my guitar in C standard right now it would have so many dead frets it's retarded. Frets 12 and up wouldn't even be usable.
Proghead and Proud
I use a floyd and I am in C# standard, I use 14-56s and had to put 2 extra tremolo springs on, I currently have 5 tremolo springs on it. I would probably put more springs on if you aren't getting enough tension.
April is the cruellest month, breeding Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing Memory and desire, stirring Dull roots with spring rain
I need less springs if anything. As I tune down the bridge goes deeper into the body of my guitar even with thicker gauged strings
Proghead and Proud
Quote by alternitivebass
It means its a great AAAAA piece of figured maple.

Not exactly. . .

IMHO:

Private Stock = AAAAA
Artist = AAAA
10 Top = AAA
regular PRS = AA

You can see a big difference between Artist and 10 Top, and a big difference between 10 Top on regular PRS.

With PRS, you get what you pay for!
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
^ correct

Also on another note, I wouldn't reccommend you drop tune on a PRS. Thats just ruining the sound of a custom 24 in my opinion.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by jcoley2
Not exactly. . .

IMHO:

Private Stock = AAAAA
Artist = AAAA
10 Top = AAA
regular PRS = AA

You can see a big difference between Artist and 10 Top, and a big difference between 10 Top on regular PRS.

With PRS, you get what you pay for!

+1

Although it isn't a standardized system so sometimes you'll stuff rated as a ten top that doesn't look like it should and see the opposite.