I heard about doing this before. I'm actually not that interested in scalloping my guitar neck but I'm curious, what's the point of doing it? What does it do to your guitar??
easier bends and vibratos
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
It allows for more expressive bends and vibrato, that's about all I've noticed since I've scalloped my Jackson. Didn't notice much difference in speed, honestly.
It makes bending easier.

Since there is less wood under your fingers, you can really get your finger under the string and bend the string easier. On the downside, you have to have light fingers or else the note will go sharp when you fret the note.

It doesn't make you faster.
i scalloped the upper frets on 2 guitars and all it has done was make it easier to bend and vibrato. no downsides.

you just have to NOT **** it up. cuz theres no going back
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
once you get use to it you can shred faster than normal

and you can bend like you could never before
yeah and tony iommi had his whole guitar done and said if you press to hard then it goes out of tune.
It's like homer said:

First you get the guitar
Then you scallop the frets
Then you get the women

That's what it does; it gets you the women.
Quote by havokca
It's like homer said:

First you get the guitar
Then you get the women

That's what it does; it gets you the women.

rofl
mind if i sig that?
Quote by havokca
It's like homer said:

First you get the guitar
Then you get the women

ARGENTINO
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
As long as you don't have tiny frets you shouldn't ever be touching wood anyway, but yeah improved vibrato and bend. I think it would also allow you to tap even if you have fingernails on your picking hand, which is tits.
My big worry would be getting so used to the scallopped fretboard, that it becomes difficult to pick up a regular (non scallopped fretboard) guitar (e.g. at guitar center, colleague's desk, etc, etc) and just jam. That would suck.