Hey, I'm looking into picking up a wireless system for my guitar. I was wondering, if I were to purchase a cheap wireless system, such as something from audio-technica, is this going to screw with my tone a whole bunch? And if so, will buying a high end one mess with my tone? If it's going to alter my tone at all, I would rather just stay with patch cords.
All wireless systems alter tone, along with cables, wireless more so. And cheap wireless systems even more. If you want a wireless system, expect to pay at least $300-$400
Quote by Ghold125
All wireless systems alter tone, along with cables, wireless more so. And cheap wireless systems even more. If you want a wireless system, expect to pay at least $300-$400

Those still suck your tone. Quality systems that deliver the same signal as a high end cable (Monster, etc.) run about 800-1000$ minimum.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

nothing huge, but i just hate worrying about my cord coming unplugged. I figured i getting some extra cash soon, and i might as well put it towards wireless, but i guess not.
Quote by I Like Me.
so i should just invest my cash into like a 30 foot monster cable?

Yes. I promise you it's worth it.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Line 6 XDR95 Rackmount has worked wonders for me. People say you dont need a wireless and all that, but it really makes a difference when you can move to the other side of the stage and mix things up a bit, without tangling a calbe and all that mess.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
i had the same misconception for the longest time that wireless degraded the signal more so than cables (or more specifically, cables of extended length that we used on a regular basis) until our engineer proved me wrong by recording samples from each.
wireless had a higher gain level (signal strength), less noise (b/c wireless doesn't suffer the same effects from lighting that cables do), and i've never experienced interferrance, although i can't say 100% that the last one never COULD happen... it just hasn't happened yet.
also, you go above 20' and you can expect to start hearing interferance even with high-end shielded cables.