Hi, I have a Yamaha guitar (which is all I can afford at the moment) and I want to upgrade the neck pickup. It's a standard H/S/S guitar. I am debating between Hot Rails and the Lil' Screamin' Demon. I like the features of both pickups, but I'm afraid that the Hot Rails may pack too much output, and the Lil' Screamin' Demon may pack too little. Could someone please list the pros and cons of each pickup? Remember, I am replacing the NECK pickup. My style of music varies, from Eric Johnson to Cannibal Corpse. I am mainly looking for a good soloing tone. Much appreciated to all who help, thanks and I'll be seeing you all on the forums (first post).

Don't worry about my amp, I'm in love with it for now. It's a Peavey Express 112 (blue trim model, not the crappy ass Transtube one) from the mid-90s, 65 watts of power. I just need that final kick from the neck pickup.

I guess what I really want to know is, what is the output difference? I know that Hot Rails are high output and the Lil' Screamin' Demon is moderate, but how big is the difference?
Last edited by artofshred at Jul 11, 2009,
i honestly have no idea, but ill get the obvious question out of the way first. What amp are you playing out of? if you're playing out of a piece of junk, your gunna want to change that first.
Either way its not going to sound anything like your stock single coil
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Don't worry about my amp, I'm in love with it for now. It's a Peavey Express 112 (blue trim model, not the crappy ass Transtube one) from the mid-90s, 65 watts of power. I just need that final kick from the neck pickup.
Last edited by artofshred at Jul 11, 2009,
i would save for a new guitar....
If you say Randy Rhoads isn't amazing, I will hunt you down (Same for Marty Friedman)Founder of Rhoads/Friedman pm if you want in..
"guitarists have a thing, where their guitar is like an extension of their penis.." well said, ozzy
Quote by operation ktulu
i would save for a new guitar....

what would the point of that be?
I could spend a few hundred bucks less and still have great tone. It's not about the guitar for me.
Quote by artofshred
what would the point of that be?
I could spend a few hundred bucks less and still have great tone. It's not about the guitar for me.

Not necessarly.

Anyway, what do you not like about your current tone?
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Not necessarly.

Anyway, what do you not like about your current tone?

Well, the neck pickup needs more output, that's for sure. Both pickups can cover that. It has too much hum. Both pickups can also cover that. I need a thicker tone for solos, but I want the pickup to be versatile also.

Could someone describe the tones of both pickups for me? That would help me make my decision for sure
The amp you're playing through would be some helpful information.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

I wrote that info a few posts above.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

He already posted that.

Quote by artofshred
Well, the neck pickup needs more output, that's for sure. Both pickups can cover that. It has too much hum. Both pickups can also cover that. I need a thicker tone for solos, but I want the pickup to be versatile also.

Could someone describe the tones of both pickups for me? That would help me make my decision for sure

Playing in positing 2 (Neck and Middle) shouldn't add more output into your tone. Actually is should be cleaner. Any standard rails pickup should get the sound you want. Just keep in mind that pickups arn't going to completely change your sound and make your tone amazing.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by artofshred
I wrote that info a few posts above.

I'd swap that before I worried about the pickups.
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
He already posted that.

Reading in several posts to find it?

Edit the OP.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
He already posted that.

Playing in positing 2 (Neck and Middle) shouldn't add more output into your tone. Actually is should be cleaner. Any standard rails pickup should get the sound you want. Just keep in mind that pickups arn't going to completely change your sound and make your tone amazing.

I know, as I stated before, my amp is what makes my tone amazing. I just need that final kick. To bubb_tubbs, why would I swap my amp? I love it.
^ Because unless you have really awful pickups, your amp and effects chain will have a far greater impact on your tone.

Plus I just spent 10 minutes digging up clips to listen to.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ Because unless you have really awful pickups, your amp and effects chain will have a far greater impact on your tone.

Plus I just spent 10 minutes digging up clips to listen to.

You're not listening to me though, I'm not saying my tone is ass. I love my tone, it just needs that final kick. I'm not gunna get a new amp just for that final kick, nor will I get a kind of pedal for it because that'd be too much addition. A new neck pickup feels like the perfect solution.

I guess what I really want to know is, how big is the output difference between the 2 pickups? I know that Hot Rails are high output and the Lil' Screamin' Demon is moderate, but how big is the difference?
Quote by artofshred
You're not listening to me though, I'm not saying my tone is ass. I love my tone, it just needs that final kick. I'm not gunna get a new amp just for that final kick, nor will I get a kind of pedal for it because that'd be too much addition. A new neck pickup feels like the perfect solution.

Normally I'd suggest exactly the opposite of your second point (getting an overdrive for solos) but the Express is solid state, so adding a boost would just make it clip horribly.
I guess what I really want to know is, how big is the output difference between the 2 pickups? I know that Hot Rails are high output and the Lil' Screamin' Demon is moderate, but how big is the difference?

Hot Rails: 16.9k

Can't find any information on the LSD, but the regular Demon puts out 9.74k so it'd be less than or equal to that amount, depending on how hot the single coil is wound for.

I'd say offhand the Hot Rails has to be as least twice as powerful.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Normally I'd suggest exactly the opposite of your second point (getting an overdrive for solos) but the Express is solid state, so adding a boost would just make it clip horribly.

Hot Rails: 16.9k

Can't find any information on the LSD, but the regular Demon puts out 9.74k so it'd be less than or equal to that amount, depending on how hot the single coil is wound for.

I'd say offhand the Hot Rails has to be as least twice as powerful.

Yea, Hot Rails is claimed to be one of the highest output pickups ever made by Duncan. Has anybody ever had experience with how it sounds clean (in the neck)? Is it equivalent to having a neck humbucker basically? How does the Lil' Screamin' Demon compare in terms of harmonics and sustain? It's 20 bucks more, so I have no idea if it'll be worth the extra 20 or not. I also heard that Hot Rails are muddy??
Last edited by artofshred at Jul 12, 2009,
I have decided to get the Lil' Screamin' Demon. I heard that Hot Rails just aren't versatile enough. Thank you for everyone who contributed to this thread I hope to see you all soon somewhere else in the forums.
You know, SD has Cool Rails too But I would have suggested the Lil' Screamin Demon anyway, cuz it's a George Lynch pickup and it's lil.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I've been having a bitch of a time selling the regular Demon pickup. Probably because it's not common.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
I've been having a bitch of a time selling the regular Demon pickup. Probably because it's not common.

If it's an uncommon pickup I think it should sell easier :P
How much are you selling it for?

I've been considering the Cool Rails, but I don't think they will perform well for harmonics and sustain.
Last edited by artofshred at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by artofshred
If it's an uncommon pickup I think it should sell easier :P
How much are you selling it for?

I've been considering the Cool Rails, but I don't think they will perform well for harmonics and sustain.

They're $94 brand new and I had it listed for $45 shipped.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
They're $94 brand new and I had it listed for $45 shipped.

Lol, strange indeed. As a humbucker people probably prefer the more popular models such as JB or '59.
Ive had the Demon (Humbucker) didnt like it and im a huge Lynch fan!

I have the Hot Rails and I Love it!

Also check out the JB jr. by Duncan..........
Quote by sumflak
Ive had the Demon (Humbucker) didnt like it and im a huge Lynch fan!

I have the Hot Rails and I Love it!

Also check out the JB jr. by Duncan..........

Yea, I've been considering that model also because of the versatility range. But when comparing pickups, I always wonder if it will compare to the Lil' Screamin' Demon in terms of harmonics and sustain. I want the LSD model because I heard they scream for lead solos. You have Hot Rails, how do they sound (for clean and solos)? In the bridge or the neck?