So lately my friend has been reffering to the power chord you make when you're in drop D (where you just bar the top 3 frets) as "playing opens".

Is that actually a real name for that or is he just spittin B.S. ??
Never heard of that, i would think he's talking b.s., most people i know still refer to em as bar chords
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
They're just called power chords.

If he said "opens" to me, I would assume he was talking about open chords.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
Well, the first 3 strings are within an open tuning of a D5, so he's not completely spitting BS, but then again, standard tuning is an open tuning too. It's open Em7add11. So yeah, just call them "Drop D power chords." It gets the message across much better.
i don't know why i feel so dry