Recently my uncle gave his bass guitar and I went out and bought an amp for it a few weeks later. I found out that the knob that was suppose to balance the front and rear pickups changed the volume and the the knob that was suppose to change the volume did nothing. My bass is an MIJ Ibanez RD707 w/ EMG active pickups (I don't know what kind.). Do you guys think its something wrong w/ the wiring?
Last edited by azndude12 at Jul 11, 2009,
Yeah, I feel like the obvious answer is the wiring is messed up somehow, but that doesn't mean that's the problem.
Are the EMG's the original pickups or were they added?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I don't know my uncle just gave it to me and its at least 10 years old. I asked him if the pickups came with the bass, and he didn't really give me an answer.
Last edited by azndude12 at Jul 11, 2009,
I'd guess that maybe it was wired to have both pickups fully on and the one knob just does volume...dunno why it'd be switched around or why someone would even bother doing that. maybe take it to a shop and tell them how you want it to be wired. As long as the parts are all in good shape it should be pretty cheap....and honestly new pots aren't too expensive.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
After looking at pictures of the same bass, it seems like the pickups I have now are not the stock pickups.
Someone probably messed up or took the easy way out when wiring the new pick ups. Look for wiring diagrams if you want to fix it. It shouldn't be too hard
Quote by basilbrush
Someone probably messed up or took the easy way out when wiring the new pick ups. Look for wiring diagrams if you want to fix it. It shouldn't be too hard

Yea, I probably do that then. Thanks for the replies.
Another thing, if i post some pics of the wiring of my bass, could you guys be able to give me a basic idea of whats wrong. I emailed Ibanez to see if they had a wiring diagram of my bass, but they haven't replied yet.