im repainting my les paul and while sanding it, i came across this wierd black stuff. do i sand the black off? its wood underneath, but the black stuff is thick.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/GiLbErT_mOnTiEl/unknown.jpg
Quote by Le_Bunny
LE shoop? It must be rad. And yes, I see potential.

P.S. nobody google 'man train'.

Last edited by xItsGilbertYox at Jul 11, 2009,
Step one, deep breath.
Step two, gather your wits.
Step three, answer all of my questions:

How is this an emergency?
What new colour do you want to paint it?
What is your bank account number?
ok i did the steps and i feel better. i was just nervous haha this is my first paintjob. im painting it white, but i just wanted to know if i should sand it off?
Quote by Le_Bunny

Quote by Invader Jim

It's prolly just primer or sealer or something.

^ This. If your going with a solid color you can leave it on there and scuff it real well, and use it for your primer. If your going for a transparent, then keep on sanding.
Quote by Matt420740
^ This. If your going with a solid color you can leave it on there and scuff it real well, and use it for your primer. If your going for a transparent, then keep on sanding.

thanks dude your my favorite uger now. haha
Quote by Le_Bunny

White eh?
One option is sand it with 220 grit and use a sanding block to make sure that it is even and flat.
You do not have to remove all of the sealer or primer. However, since you are going to pain white over black, you have an uphill battle. I recommend that you use either white or light gray primer over the black. If the first coat of primer does not cover the black adequately then prime again until the black is not noticeable. Check out the painting/refinishing thread sticky for detailed painting info.

However, if this were my guitar, I would probably put the elbow grease in to sand it all the way to the bare wood, then seal if necessary and prime. Painting over the black may work great, or it may take so many coats you'd wish you had sanded more. It's up to you.