I cant find anyone to drum in my area(Billings, Montana) . Are drum machines suitable replacements or should i keep looking?
Drum machines will never match the intensity, feel and groove a good drummer brings, so I say keep on searching.
what kind of music do you play?
If you want a more classic-rock sound, keep looking for a drummer.
If you want a more modern sound, you could probably pass off a drum machine and make it work pretty well.
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
well i play death metal mostly, with a little metalcore mixed in. I was hoping a drum machine would pass off just fine. The only person i can find to drum is my dad .
I have the same problem....I just started doing everything...most musicians are worthless and won't show up on time....for practice or even paying gigs.
Quote by leadphoenix
well i play death metal mostly, with a little metalcore mixed in. I was hoping a drum machine would pass off just fine. The only person i can find to drum is my dad .

lol. well with that kind of music you could probably pass off a drum machine just fine. that's just my opinion though. You ought to experiment with drum machines a bit and figure out which option you like best.
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
well i dont have a drum machine yet, but i was looking at a Boss DR-670 for the price. I will definitely give it a try when i get one though.
If you can afford one I'd say go for it. But once you have one, don't give up on your search. A real drummer can be an asset if they know what they're doing. Pumping up the quality of your band just a bit more.
Quote by RedFez64
The problem with music is ninety percent of people are useless. Cant say ive seen death metal done on a drum machine before though but ive certainly seen good bands work with a drum machine (although more in the region of the kills)

What? Dude...Mirrorthrone, Weeping Birth, Unholy Matrimony, Putrid Pile, Toxic Holocaust, Insidious Decrepancy, and Anaal Nathrakh are all 1 and 2 man bands with drum machines. There are tons.

Personally I would only use a drum machine now ,as I am too selfish to wait for a drummer and have them try to have some creative input on my music
Get software and us a pc as a drum machine?
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
ill definitely give the drum machine a try, hoping to start to network after i get a couple demos out or something. Do you guys have any recommendations on models and brands? i was going to try out the boss dr-670 as i said above, but dont really know what would be the best model.
Like said before, get a drum machine, but keep looking. A good drummer actually knows his instrument, and he'll be able to add some stuff for your songs to make it even better. However, some bands use only one or two samples for each part of their 'kit'. Don't. It will take away alot of your sound if your kit sounds monotone and electronic!

GL with the search
Quote by Keth
... However, some bands use only one or two samples for each part of their 'kit'. Don't. It will take away alot of your sound if your kit sounds monotone and electronic!

Who says that's a bad thing? Plenty of music makes use of basic drum machine loops (Idioteque comes to mind...) and although it isn't normal for metal it might sound good. Probably won't but worth a try

However my advice on the drum machine side would be to grab some Akai drum pads, a PC and some drum software and record yourself drumming on the pads. With enough time you'll be able to knock up on-time, yet heart-felt drum parts. Of course you'll get some odd looks bringing a computer to a metal gig

Or you could get a sampler and a mic and ask a drummer you know to play some stuff and record it. However I still think getting a drummer, even if you tell him to keep it simple, is the best solution for metal.
thanks for all the advice guys. ill keep looking for a drummer but ill make do with a drum machine for a while i guess.
you could take some drum lessons yourself only to get a picture on how to play drums and then program them.
Quote by Littleangus44
Keep looking, And I have family up in Billings, how old are you?

Im 20. do you know some people that play music in this area?
Quote by leadphoenix
dude thank you just checked it out, and im amazed! thanks for the referral man.

and there are many different drum-kits .. i used the pop-rock kit for my song .. google/youtube about ezdrummer DFH (Drumkit from hell) ... its all u need ..